• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Has anyone gone to Disney through Make-a-Wish?

TanyaB

Earning My Ears
This is my first post. I'm not sure if this is the right board to post this on or not, but there are so many!

We are going in February through MAW for my son. I was just wondering what your experience was w/an ill child, and what some of the perks were throughout the trip. I also would love to know anything about Give Kids the World.

Thanks for any advice.
Tanya

You might want to check the DISabilities board. I've read posts there about MAW and travelling with extremely ill children.

Yes, come to the disABILILTIES Board. Yo can follow the link in my signature there. A number of DIS posters have taken MAW trips to WDW and some of them are frequent visitors to disABILITIES.
Here's a link to Give Kids the World website. We have nver been there, but I have read a lot of articles about it and read a lot of posts from people who have been there. The word most of them used to describe it was Wonderful.

My sister and her family went to WDW about 6 years ago, courtesy of Make-a-Wish. My niece had leukemia. Happily, she is now a healthy, robust 11-year-old who loves life!

I recall my sister and BIL talking about how well they were treated by everyone connected with the Make-a-Wish Foundation and with Disney. Can't recall all the particulars any more. But I do remember that they got a sticker or nametag of some type to wear in the parks. This entitled them to board any ride without waiting. That was a great thing for them because my niece would tire pretty easily at the time.

Their lodging was at Dixie Landings, and they got vouchers for most of their meals. It was truly a trip of a lifetime for them at a very difficult time for their family.

I'm so sorry that your son is ill. I hope and pray that you are able to enjoy a wonderful trip together in February! Be sure to let us hear all about it when you're back. Best wishes to all of you! :D

I'm so sorry to hear your child is so ill, but I'm glad you get to go to Disney together. I've read about MAW having no wait in lines which is just wonderful. I hope you have many perks and much special treatment on your vacation. Sending you pixie dust!

We went to Disney World through MAW about 10 years ago...gee has it really been that long ago? Seems like only yesturday. Be sure to wear the "pin" (button) they give your son EVERYWHERE!!!! You will be surprized how generous and kind everyone will be not just at Disney. I treasure my memories of our tirp...sadly my son lost his battle with cystic fibrosis but thanks to the wonderful folks at Disney and Make A Wish...his brothers have some of the most MAGICAL memories ....Be sure to have a meal at the kids village even if your not staying there its a wonderful property that will make staying elsewhere seem lame!!
Actually my family is going to be in DW from the week of Feb 5th through the 12th...whens your trip??
I've often wondered if a former wish family can go back and visit the kids village....my boys were young and my daughter not yet born when we took the trip...would be nice to show them where their brother had so much fun.
You will have a wonderful time with MAW!!! They do everything top notch!!! Ohhh yeah...a highlite for us was the character breakfast they have at the kids village...DON'T MISS IT!!!! Some folks on this board pay a high price to have breakfast with "the Stars" and only get a few moments interaction...at the kids village you get TONS of attention and wonderful photos for FREE!! (of course you and I both know that there is a very dear price we ultimatly pay).....
Be sure to get your "disablitiles guidemap" at City Hall to show you where all the "front of the line" entrances are...your son will need to have his badge for that....you'll have a great time!!!!
Monica
in memory of David Michael....11/25/77--07/19/96

I'm sorry to hear your son is ill, but thank you for posting here. Thank you also to SueM inMN for the link to GKTW. Every year we 'adopt' a family to buy holiday gifts for but this year we didn't do it. I went to the GKTW website and I see that they have a wishlist for the village. We are now bringing a box full of stuff to donate to the village when we head down next week.

Thanks again for the info.
I hope you and your family have a magical vacation to WDW!

BounceyOne, that's really a cool idea.
Bubbleprincessmom, there have been some former MAW Village guest families who have planned to stop at MAW Village. I don't know if any of them ever did get there. I know one family posted that they had contacted MAW Village either by phone or email and were told they were very welcome to come back and visit.

Hi some of our friends were there in October with us. Their oldest son was the MAW kid.
They could use the fast pass line, handicapped entrances. When you want to meet with the characters tell the first cm you come to they will or will get another cm to bring you to each character you'll go in through the exit an get priority ( one warning through this is extremly hard on the adults (even if the child is going to be "okay") Matt wanted pictures w/ my kids and goofy, mickey, minnie, and Daisy. This was the only time we tagged along and I never would have done it if Matt hadn't asked. This was also the only time we(they) ran into rude people. Granted they didn't speak english well enough to know what make a wish was but he sure spoke it well enough to express his nasty feelings. I'll leave it at that but I did get him back. Then at the next character when the cm said that it was a wish kid the spainish gentleman said take all the time you want we'll wait he made us all cry including my husband and mom.
Kris said that give kids the world was great. The photo session though is a time to showup and wait not a actually scheduled time for you. Also check the outlet before you want to charge batteries some in their room didn't work. If you would like some specifics answered I'll be glad to ask her I'll be seeing her in a few days. Hope this helps

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter