Has anyone had cataract surgery leading up to a Disney trip?

edk35

DIS Veteran
Hi!! I’m having cataract surgery on May 3rd and 10th. We have a trip starting on May 20th. I am thinking I will reschedule for after the trip now. I am sure I won’t be able to ride certain rides. I could get it done 3rd and 4th week of April but that might not be enough time either. 🤷‍♀️ Anyone had this surgery weeks before a trip? TIA!

This is a tough question to answer based on what I have (and still dealing with.)

I had cataract surgery both eyes weeks apart early Feb.1st
First surgery was simple and smooth. all text book pro
Second surgery…developed an infection and it’s been over 4 weeks to get it under control.

Eye surgeon is baffled how this happened
I am dealing with it ok as have improvement at times now. not much can be done until the infection is completely under control

most eye surgeries are smooth with zero complications

Sometimes things have a change of course that is not expected
it is still unknown how this could happen

If you are hesitant, don’t be alarmed as
eye treatment can correct the situation

i did not get freaked out but was very startled
Sometimes things can go south unexpectedly

but i will take a bit more time for more improvement

if you need woke done for a cataract, go for it

Don't plan on driving long distances for month, I don't know if you're planning on driving to Disney.

Some people need glasses, which won't be prescribed for a month or so.

PP identified the issue. I developed a reaction to one of the eye drops. Not a big issue but I had to see the doctor

You should be good with the April dates. You'll be finished with your eye drops and follow-up visits.

Hi!! I’m having cataract surgery on May 3rd and 10th. We have a trip starting on May 20th. I am thinking I will reschedule for after the trip now. I am sure I won’t be able to ride certain rides. I could get it done 3rd and 4th week of April but that might not be enough time either. 🤷‍♀️ Anyone had this surgery weeks before a trip? TIA!
I've had it done 7 years ago and did go on a trip, in between procedures but I don't do fast rides. My eyes were done a month apart. Drops for maybe 4 or 5 days(?) and eye(s) were fine with no complications. Each eye done a month apart is how my ophthalmologist worked.

You would probably be fine going on May 20 after an April procedure, but that's a question for your doctor. You would probably be fine going as scheduled if you have no issues. Again, ask your doctor to get their opinion.

A personal note, after wearing glasses and contacts from very early childhood, the freedom cataract surgery gave me was life changing. I do need readers (non prescription) for reading small print, but otherwise I see 20/20. I was not a candidate for the lens that would allow me to read easily.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter