• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

has anyone had good experiences with alamo

sweetheart2576

Disney Fanatic
I have a compact car rented through alamo for august. After reading some bad experiences i am starting to rethink my decision. Has anyone had any good experiences with Alamo. I have them booked for 197 for a week. which i cannot find a price near that anymore.

... no problems with Alamo last September.

We were one of the many families stranded in Orlando after September 11 and having a car to get around was the second most important thing to us (to Accommodation) during our stayover. We were due to fly the morning of Sept 11 from MCO-LAX for our return trip to New Zealand but ended up staying until the first available flights (Sept 19) for us.

On the morning of tragedy, we heard it over the radio in the car while driving to the Airport. We had just finished our stay at the HRH and returned there to get rooms for the stayover (By the time we returned 12noon room rates were already reduced to $99). Rang Alamo to determine how to return the car and wether we can keep the car for the duration of the stayover. The Alamo person was very receptive to our situation and a little shell-shocked by the whole WTC tragedy. He advised us to keep the car (saw on the late news that ALL rental car outlets were empty by 3PM) for as long as we needed and that we would be charged on return.

When we did return the car, we had $470 for 2 weeks (10 days WDW, 5 days Universal) and an extra $49.95 for the extra 9 days we stayed. This was appreciated. Not only was the service courteous but fast and efficient (which what I really want at a rental car firm). I have only used them once being a Hertz club member here in New Zealand but I have no problems using them again.

(However saying that, I have booked National for this years trip purely based on cost and benefits however that aside, I would still have no problems using Alamo again)

No, I have not had any good experiences with Alamo. However their sister company, national is great.

My DW and I rented from Alamo on every trip to DisneyWorld since it opened. Until my last trip to Orlando last week (business only -- :mad: ) I had only 1 bad experience with Alamo before. That's out of between 20 - 25 visits. This last time (business trip) was not great -- the service rep was a little less than friendly and they overcharged my corporate credit card about $45. However, on the plus side -- it's fairly easy and not that expensive to upgrade your car (my boss upgraded to a convertible for about $5 a day -- now that may have been a corporate thing). Never had a hard time finding my car, leaving or returning. Overall I've been pleased with Alamo.

However, on our vacation starting week after next :D -- we are renting with National -- only because we booked all our stuff through WDW Travel.

Hope you have a wonderful trip!

They've been great 4 out of 5 trips and the one negative was during President's Week which is a very busy time at WDW (duh, I didn't know that when I booked our trip). Their rates are always MUCH lower than everyone elses and their shuttle drivers are very helpful and friendly. Their car rental agents try to push the upgrades and insurance VERY HARD but I have always politely declined and gotten away unscathed. Make sure you have your own insurance card (if you own an insured vehicle) and you should be okay. They will insist that it won't protect you in Florida but it will. They make a HUGE comission on the insurance and upgrades which is why they push them so hard.

We've rented from Alamo twice without a problem either time (July 2001 and March 2002).

Mega-dittos to Tinaluis' post. Avoid purchasing any rental car company's extra insurance "protection." Unless you have no auto insurance or are woefully underinsured, you don't need it. It is a very good idea to take proof of insurance with you (your insurance card should be sufficient).

Some credit cards (check with your company) may also provide secondary accident insurance when you charge a rental car with the card.

As for upgrades -- do you really need the extra room? If not, don't go for it. A polite "no thanks" to the offers for insurance and upgrades will usually do the trick.

Another catch-- pre-paid gas. My opinion -- this is a bad deal. You pre-pay for a full tank and bring back the car empty. However, I've never been able to figure out how to use up all the gas so I roll up to the return area exactly on empty. They do not refund the difference, so you end up paying more than if you just fill up the car yourself.

Last week I rented from Alamo for a business trip in Orlando (argh, no Disney!). It cost $10 to refill the tank vs. the $22+ they wanted to prepay.

I rented from Alamo once and hated it. We moved to National and have been very happy. The same company owns both. Big difference.

I have had great luck with Alamo, a few minor problems but nothing that was not taken care of immediately and to my total satisfaction.
As an aside, I just rented a standard (full size two door) through Priceline. The total for seven days in mid Sept. is 146.00. This will be with Avis. Also my third rental with Priceline. The first one was with Alamo, got what I rented, no problem. Second with Avis, went from a mid size to a full size two door (Monte Carlo). Again, no problems. The rate you have is high, I would try Priceline and go LOW. I put in a bid for 15.00 for a intermediate and was rejected, then put in one for 17.00 for a standard and it was accepted. I would only do this if I knew my dates were concrete (which they are).
Considering the business Alamo does, it says that many are happy with them. If all people were unhappy with them, they would be totally out of business.

Alamo has good prices.

I didn't have a bad experience with them, exactly, but we waited on line for about an hour. Now I always try not to use a company where I have to wait on line.

If you join the Quick silver program there are no lines, just zip your card and you are outta there.

The one time we rented from Alamo it was a nightmare. Ever since we have used Dollar at the airport and have been very happy. We signed up for their Fastlane program and love it.

gail when you do the priceline thingy.....you have to pay upfront right...as soon as you book..???

so they have your money NOW??

just wondering...before i jump ....

Hi there LAWGS,
Yes, when I do the priceline thingy I have to pay upfront and yes, they have my money now.
I figure I may have lost a whopping .02 in interest by doing it this way. LOL.
Like I always say, I would never do it if the trip was not cast in concrete. :)
Nice seeing you again, btw.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter