Has anyone had to move into trailer/mobile home due to renovations or fire?

melk

DIS Veteran
I've seen mobile trailer homes on people's house lots, usually when someone has been burned out of their homes. But has anyone ever rented one while extensive renovations were being done to your home? Was it very costly? Do you think it was worth it to be able to stay on your property or would you have been better off making other arrangements(relatives, rent for a few months, etc?) And were you totally sick of the trailer by the end? Thanks in advance!!

An extended camping trip? Depends on how long you'll need to spend in tight quarters with your family ;)

We stayed with friends for a time, like 8 months, in a larger travel trailer. Money was very tight for us at the time, we were younger. They treated like family, but we gave them some $ to defray the cost of electricity. I think they had their own water. It was not terrific, a miserable time in my life (like not to think about it). Did a lot of camping in my teen years, so it wasn't a big ordeal, was happy to have shelter.

I'd think it would be less expensive than staying in a hotel, esp. if you'll be on your own property. Will you have any access to the house while it's under construction? Will it be during warmer months of the year? Those would be some questions I'd be asking.

I lived in one for 2 years and NEVER got used to it!! I think it would be wonderful though to oversee the renovations by actually being there on the land. As to expense it depends on what you buy....but it would also be something you could rent out in the future if you want. I will say that trailers lose their value almost immediantly so I don't know if you would ever get your full value back on it unless you rented it.

Now a travel trailer if you were planning on buying one anyway would be nice....but very expensive. Apartments here are high too though.

I guess I've been of no help...LOL! We have so much bad weather down here that it can be downright scary living in those things! I hope to never have to go back to one but then on the other hand there are folks who have lived in them for years and have been happy!

My friend that lived behind us did that about 10 years ago. There was 4 of them living in a small trailer for the summer months. Us "kids" thought it was great. A campout evey night. All the kids in the neighborhood would go over a spend the night. I don't think her parents like it much because I can remember a few times them kicking us all out to sleep in a tent. That was a great summer. But it was nice for her parents because they were right on the property to fix up the house. They could cook out and nap when ever without having to leave. They must not have got to sick of the trailer because they moved it to the mountains and stay in it 8 weeks out of the year. Good Luck!!

We lived in a small travel trailer for almost 10 months after our home went through a terrible flood. Thank goodness we did not have any children at the time. It was on our property and provided by FEMA so there were no "frills" to it. It served our needs but I do not think I could ever do it again. The hot water heater was only a 5 gallon one and try taking a good shower with that!!The way I described it was that you could sit on the potty and hold one arm out and it would be in the "living room" and hold your leg out and you would be in the bedroom!!! We thought it would be fun at first but it just kept getting smaller and smaller the longer we were in there.

Don't get me wrong...we were thankful to have it. We had already spent almost 5 months with my dh's parents and it was hard to do also. The most I think I could ever live in one again would be maybe two months. It was just hard because we were both working at our jobs,working on the house and still having to stop to cook,go to the laundry mat etc.

Think LONG and HARD before you do this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter