Has anyone heard of this?

JessicaR

<font color=blue>DIS Veteran<br><font color=green>
I just read a post on another board here from someone that recently returned (this week) from Universal/IOA, they said they were offered a booklet at the gate when purchasing tickets for an additional $25 that would give them 15 (I think) express passes to the front of the line. This is news to me...what is this booklet exactly? They also mentioned it had other coupons in it as well. I think for maybe dining? I am curious what this booklet is about. I have searched and cannot find any info on this online.:confused:

The books are currently $29.00 per person and are offered by the vacation planners who "work" the pass sales lines. These books can be purchased at any of the pass sales windows at both parks. Prices vary since this is an experimental/test program only - prices have ranged from $25 to $30 per person.

What are they? Basically, think of them as a book of Express tickets for every attraction that offers Express that can be used whenever you would like.

For example, at IOA the book consists of 15 coupons (one for each attraction). The coupons are dated (in other words, you HAVE to use it that specific day) and the attraction logo appears at the top (again, in other words you can't try to pass an unused Storm Force at the Hulk). Each coupon allows one guest to use the Express queue at each attraction only once at their convenience.

The benefit? You never have to worry about attractions running out of Express tickets or planning your day. Walk up to the attraction whenever you want and get into the Express line.

The cost? Well, since each booklet is only good for one person - a family of four will be paying almost $120 for this program. Also, you can only do this once at each attraction. Obviously, if you are staying in one of the on-site resorts - there is no reason for you to purchase this booklet. No, there are no other coupons (other than the Express tickets) in the booklet - but that's a great idea!

Why do it? Because both USF and IOA only have a few hundred of these (less than 300) available each day and they are practically selling out!!!!! It's amazing how many people are snatching these things up as quick as they can!!!!

So, to answer your question, yes - these do exist. It's currently an "experimental" program only and unadvertised.

Thank you...It had me sooooo curious! Since we are staying on-site I wont have to persue this infamous booklet. Now if they had dining coupons as well.....;) Sounds like a great marketing idea!
As always I appreciate the time you take to answer questions in such great detail.

Now I have heard it all!

I cannot believe someone would be excited about paying an extra $30.00 for this.

I was wondering who wold be the first to charge for this program (FastPass@WDW or Express@IOA/USF).

All these programs have done is cause longer lines for the masses and diminish the overall experience. Both of these programs rely heavily on the old "Perception is reality" USF in it's own Ads say "No line, no wait"*maximum wait time 15 minutes. Anyone else see anything wrong with this!!!!!!

Now you can pay $77.00+tax for a day at a theme park. It just goes to show you that the bottom line is <b>CASH</b> just like any other business. Don't dilude yourself into thinking these people really care about your "experience" they just want to part you from your money.

Well, if you think about it, $29 is way cheaper than paying $120+ a night for an onsite hotel to get an all-day Universal Express pass. The booklet has one UE ticket per ride, but you don't have to worry about UE passes running out or standing in line for one. Some UE lines can be very long!

Maybe it should now be thought of as "Some lines, Some waits." That's much better than "Long line, long wait." I'd rather wait in a 10 minute UE line than a 90 minute regular line! :)

<B><I>The phrase "No Line No Wait" was removed from all Universal advertising a few months ago.</b></I>

Heard it on TV last week

No matter how much we care about your experience in the park, we will continue to do business with you while you are there. We would like the business to exist years from now, and to grow along the way.

I'm not surprised you are getting good response on sale of the express booklets. With the numbers you are dealing with there should be more than enough people willing to fork over the extra bucks to get this perk (wonder if this will cut into your special tour business as one of the major benfits of these is the VIP ride treatment?).

I assume many of these customers aren't that familiar with the express program to begin with. I wonder if they will have any mis-givings when they see other's getting passes for free? If they discover that passes are gone later in the day, they will see this as a benefit. But since they may no longer have a need to visit the kiosk they may not appreciate this fact and walk-away feeling a little ripped-off?

One of the big PR issues with this concept is the goodwill of the have-nots. I assume you guys have some way to get feedback on this before you go big-time. I'm sure you have followed the SFWOA problems and lawsuit closely!

Barry, remember most of us travel with a pack. Paying the extra fee for a family of four ($100-120) is definately not cheap when compared to staying on-site.

I have seen Six Flags sell these coupon books as well. Yesterday I took my family to Six Flags Great America in Chicago, and they have a new system now called Fast Lane. This is an express lane which is accessed only by purchasing Fast Lane tickets. I didn't find out how much they cost, but not very many people seemed to be buying them.

Since this post has sat idle for a couple of days I was just curious.

If something like this were being piloted down the road the posts over on the other board would be a mile long. You could probably hear some of the shouting through your keyboard. However, here it seems to have been met with little reaction.

Does this reflect a real difference in the attitudes of the different park patrons is it mostly just a difference on who frequents the different boards?

I give 'em credit for trying new things. If it ever gets carried away and negatively affects me, then I'll scream & rant & boycott.
For now though, sell all the coupon books they want. (maybe it'll lower some prices on other items....yeah, right!)
Jim

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter