• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Has anyone purchased jewelry on the ship?

jlmcantwait

Mouseketeer
I was planning on getting a piece of jewelry on our trip. Maybe gold necklace/ring....does anyone know how the prices were?
I don't want to go crazy just a couple hundred....unless I win BINGO!!!
Thanks for any info you have! Laurie

It is a wonderful rememberance of your trip and GREAT deals can be had. I don't know how much of a bargin you will get onboard though, yes you avoid sales tax but I think in port you will have much better luck. Don't know if you are doing east or west but in the east St. Maarten the dutch side has by far the best deals I have ever found. On the western I got a lovely ring at diamonds international in cozumel. All jewelry that I have gotten on cruises has appraised back home for at least twice what I paid.

If you are just interested in gold there is another option. Onboard the sell by the inch "gold". By that I mean it is real gold plated over jewelers metal. It is 100 percent gaurenteed for life to never tarnish etc and you would never know it is not solid gold. I got an ankle bracelet that cost me all of $10.00 that looks like it cost at least $100.00. It is fun to look at all the different types of chains, we got our son(9) two necklaces for about $20 a piece and he feels like a big deal in them. The good thing is that if he looses them it was not that much money to cry over. They only do the gold sales certain days but if you check in treasure ketch they will let you know when.

I agree with AnnMorin...the dutch side of St Maartin has by far the best deals....stick to the sites promoted by the cruise (they will give you this info onboard)....my wife purchased a diamond and tanzanite bracelete for 3700.00 that was marked at 13,000.00....back here in the states it appraised at 11,500.00...also try to wait as close as possible to ship departure time to make your best deal, the stores are fully aware of the cruise schedules.....good luck

I agree with AnnMorin...the dutch side of St Maarten has by far the best deals....stick to the sites promoted by the cruise (they will give you this info onboard)....my wife purchased a diamond and tanzanite bracelete for 3700.00 that was marked at 13,000.00....back here in the states it appraised at 11,500.00...also try to wait as close as possible to ship departure time to make your best deal, the stores are fully aware of the cruise schedules.....good luck

The islands are a shopper's paradise, but for once I did not buy any remembrance jewelry! I was too busy buying Disney toys for my grands....LOL!

However, my daughter surprised me with the cutest 'Wish Pearl' necklace from the ship. It is a charm of Minnie's head that displays
a pearl. It came with a little canned oyster that you open and
the wish granted depends on the color of the pearl ~ health, happiness, wealth, joy, etc.

Our SIL's had fun shopping in St. M, as our daughters were lucky to receive gifts of beautiful tanzanite and diamond bracelet, ear rings and ring. They seemed to be of good quality for such reasonable prices.

Our one DD and DSIL were celebrating their Annv., and for dessert the head waiter brought her jewlery gift nicely pkg. on a dessert plate. It was quite a memorable surprise to her!
Have fun shopping!!

Originally posted by AnnMorin
Don't know if you are doing east or west but in the east St. Maarten the dutch side has by far the best deals I have ever found. On the western I got a lovely ring at diamonds international in cozumel. All jewelry that I have gotten on cruises has appraised back home for at least twice what I paid.

It seems like you and I shop in the same places. DH and I bought diamond anniversary bands at diamonds international, in cozumel, last time we were there. I agree that Front St. in St. Maartin has the best prices for good jewelry. We have bought a number of pcs of gold or gold with gemstones in St. Maartin and been very happy with them and the prices.

Laurie, you will do very well shoping in St. Maartin and maybe DH and I will see you there.

sue

We've bought several unset gemstones from the ship. DH also buys watches there. Very pleased with all purchases.

Rae

Treasure Ketch also has a nice selection of gold (and sterling) charms unique to the ship. On our first cruise I bought a gold charm of the Magic for my charm necklace. On our cruise last summer, we bought a pink sapphire and diamond bracelet for my daughter and I got a beautiful diamond and black opal ring. Both were bought at Kays Jewelry in St. Maarten (not the same Kays as in the states). We had them appraised when we got home and the both the appraisals were for much more than we paid. Good luck and happy shopping...:D

Mickey4me: Do you remember what you paid for your Magic charm? Don't mean to be nosy, but my DD4 has a gold bracelet with charms from everywhere we vacation. The ship would be a wonderful addition, if I can swing it!

4Nana -

Your family does the nicest things for each other. You must be so very proud of their thoughtfulness.............and ingenuity!!

We bought DD (a brand new 8) one of the Wish Pearls on this ship on our Halloween '01 cruise. We picked Minnie, too!! DH hid it so well that she received it 15 months later for her 8th b'day (two weeks ago)!! She was just thrilled and had no idea that it was because her parents are having "senior moments!!"

Laurie-

You have some hell of a nerve....haha

Just my jealousy...wishing so much that I was going with these guys.

Give us a trip report...please

Lori

Mickey4me: Do you remember what you paid for your Magic charm?
Samsma - I believe it was either $95 or $98 which was good for the weight and detail of it. It's about an inch+ long and very detailed. However, I bought it on our Oct. '98 cruise and on our sailing this past summer, I didn't see it. They only had the sterling silver one. It may have still been available, they just didn't have it in the case. Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter