Has anyone received any flack for having an ADR but only wanting to order Desserts?

I'm just fearful that I'd get an upset server realizing our bill would be minimal. Thoughts?

My thought...won't be as minimal as you think.

I don't mind using an ADR this way, or any other way I see fit.

But, I really like the idea of using the bar where available as this is the theme of the bar area.

We got drinks and desserts at California Grill back in 2017 with a late night reservation so we could enjoy the fireworks from the rooftop. Never had any issue.

Nearly 30 years ago, Mom and I were staying at the Contemporary, and just wanted dessert. We went to the Contemporary Steakhouse (the area is now part of Chef Mickey's) , and made sure both the host and the server knew that before we were seated. The server was great, we actually split the biggest "serving" of cake I have ever seen in a restaurant, at the servers suggestion. We gave ourselves time to enjoy it, but did not dally and take up the table for too long. Of course, we also ate full meals most of the time during the trip, so the host and server recognized us. We tipped well for the dessert. Fast forward to today, there are more options than ever. Ordering appetizers and dessert is a good option..there are so many more options today for a light or dessert only meal without taking up a regular table service ADR. Disney has added so many lounges that serve lighter fare at decent prices (for Disney) that don't require ADRs. Rather than carry food around a park all day...skip the table service and go with all counter service meals, except for one special meal. Counter service while still pricey by offsite norms, are reasonable by Disney standards I did this with a group of friends I went with a few years ago, it saved a lot of money for them.

Plus, where do you intend to eat that food that you bring in? Take up a table at an already crowded counter service place where paying guests are looking to sit? While there are plenty of places in Animal Kingdom to do this, in most other parks, there just aren't places. And there will be fewer and fewer unused tables as crowds ramp up to the opening of Galaxy's Edge and the 50th anniversary. I have a feeling the parks are going to be much more crowded than normal fo the next 2 to 3 years.

Last edited:
Have done it, and will do it again. Last time was at Be Our Guest for lunch: 2 cupcakes and 2 beverages.

And we can thank you for now having to pay two credits for mediocre food.

It depends on the restaurant, if it’s going to fill up and your table could potentially have someone with a higher bill you might get a little attitude from your server, but if it is a restaurant that won’t fill anyway the server won’t care. Worst case scenario it’s crazy busy, you might just get a little less attention than other tables. 90% of Disney restaurants don’t regularly fill up though so I doubt you’ll have a problem. Like a pp said, don’t overthink it.

My wife and I have had an app and a couple of drinks and had no issue. Go for it! It is YOUR vacation.

Personal tipping habits is not a topic for discussion. All posts referencing tipping have been removed.

My bad on my previous comments including tipping info. Sorry.

But I will reiterate the part that was a direct answer to the question asked and that is (as many others have said as well) you can order anything you want at a Disney restaurant (that isn't prix fixe or AYCTE) the same as you would at any non Disney restaurant. I wouldn't worry about that at all, go and enjoy.

I'm interested in making ADR's for dessert only at a place or 2 or maybe even apps and drinks. (Couples only trip.) Has anyone done this and how was your experience once you told the server you only wanted apps or dessert? Clearly we'd also be there for 1/5th the amount of time - and I'd tip well knowing we're taking up their table.

I'm just fearful that I'd get an upset server realizing our bill would be minimal. Thoughts?

My comment got deleted along with the posts about tipping, despite not commenting about tipping, but last year my husband and I did apps and drinks for dinner almost every day and only had an issue at STK in Disney springs. Everywhere else, it wasnt even acknowledged as abnormal--servers at STK were fairly rude despite spending as much as we would have on entrees. It seems pretty commonplace, now.

My comment got deleted along with the posts about tipping, despite not commenting about tipping, but last year my husband and I did apps and drinks for dinner almost every day and only had an issue at STK in Disney springs. Everywhere else, it wasnt even acknowledged as abnormal--servers at STK were fairly rude despite spending as much as we would have on entrees. It seems pretty commonplace, now.

Your post quoted a deleted post

Likely just a crap server who likely wouldn't have been that much better if you'd ordered entrees. I do think it is more likely to happen if you are ordering less than "normal". I've also seen service differences being a party of 2 vs a table next to us party of 6 or more where we have been all but ignored.

I know I am not the moderator and don't want the job, but when the discussion was mentioning tipping or tipping practices and not saying/demanding a certain % should be tipped, it is sad that those comments were deleted. My comment basically stated that there should be no need to feel like you should tip more if you only ordered drinks/apps. There were a lot of good statements/information in those which were deleted.

I know I am not the moderator and don't want the job, but when the discussion was mentioning tipping or tipping practices and not saying/demanding a certain % should be tipped, it is sad that those comments were deleted. My comment basically stated that there should be no need to feel like you should tip more if you only ordered drinks/apps. There were a lot of good statements/information in those which were deleted.
What good information was deleted? I don’t remember seeing anything other than arguments about how much should be tipped.

I thought the moderator did a fine job

All needed basic information was kept in the thread

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter