Has anyone taken Halcion before dental work?

I was referring to what I was saying about this whole topic of mine, referring to again, what I was talking about. Meaning and asking about after taking the pill, do you still feel pain otherwise.

Then why do I hear from others online, who do get the shot in the mouth, that they FEEL PAIN? Even though the shot is suppose to numb you completely?

I know it does not work, because others online and in real life have said so. They said they still felt pain even with receiving 2-3 shots.

Oh please I doubt that gels works.
The only thing the gel does is numbs the gum so the shot doesn't sting so much.

I was referring to what I was saying about this whole topic of mine, referring to again, what I was talking about. Meaning and asking about after taking the pill, do you still feel pain otherwise.

Then why do I hear from others online, who do get the shot in the mouth, that they FEEL PAIN? Even though the shot is suppose to numb you completely?

I know it does not work, because others online and in real life have said so. They said they still felt pain even with receiving 2-3 shots.

Oh good grief, the dental experience is different for everyone. Some can tolerate pain more than others. I don't tolerate it in my mouth very well at all, so need all the help from my dentist that I can get. I had two children with no pain medication whatsoever and I would rather go through that again than sit in the dentist's chair. But you know what? I go because I have to and there are worse things in life than going to the dentist.

You say "oh please I doubt that gels work". Doubt all you want. I was simply letting you know MY experience with MY dentist. Of course the gel won't block all pain during the entire procedure but it DID block the tiny amount of pain from the needle of the Novocain shot. And as far as someone needing more than one shot, yes that can happen. As I said before, everyone is different. And some tolerate dental pain more than others. My dentist always says if you feel the slightest pain let him know and he will stop and give another shot.

But whatever, I am done with this thread. You have been rude to people who are here trying to help you. My advice is get some therapy for your over-the-top fear, suck it up and find a dentist that specializes in people who are extremely fearful or don't go and let your teeth rot and fall out of your mouth. I don't care.

Info I sourced form Seratis. Seratis is slanted towards the UK market but often hits USA information as well, so can be very useful...

"An extremely short lasting hypnotic, triazolam (also known by the brand names Halcion®, Novodorm® and Songar®) has a half life of only 1.5 to 5.5 hours hours and is used as a sedative only nowadays. It was initially withdrawn from public use due to severe side effects but is still available at far lower doses.

Info I sourced form Seratis. Seratis is slanted towards the UK market but often hits USA information as well, so can be very useful...

"An extremely short lasting hypnotic, triazolam (also known by the brand names Halcion®, Novodorm® and Songar®) has a half life of only 1.5 to 5.5 hours hours and is used as a sedative only nowadays. It was initially withdrawn from public use due to severe side effects but is still available at far lower doses.
Unfortunately, I think disneygogetter isn't really interested in the technical aspects.....only whether she will FEEL PAIN when taking it.

I have to agree the numbing get absolutely works. Anytime I need dental work done (other than cleaning) that requires Novicane my dentist always rubs the gel on (he even gives me my choice of flavors). After about 10 minutes he does the shot and I don't feel the pinch.

MJ

I don't know anyone who has still had pain with adequate novicane injections for dental work. If you still feel pain, you should tell your dentist and they stop and will administer more novicane. Yes, even with the numbing gel you still feel the pinch of the shots going in, but that's it. Once the novicane takes effect, there should be no pain. The pills have no effect on the pain, they are intended to combat the anxiety of going into the chair to begin with.

I am wondering why are you saying the pills are off the table? Are you unable to take them, or just unwilling? I have anxiety myself, and dentistry is one place where it REALLY flares up. Belive me, the medication helps immensely. I am not one to take medication when I don't feel like I need it, but I can't see not using something that would make this kind of situation more tolerable.

I do feel like I would want the IV sedation in your situation as well, but if that isn't an option, anxiety meds with novicane would be a second choice.

Oh good grief, the dental experience is different for everyone. Some can tolerate pain more than others. I don't tolerate it in my mouth very well at all, so need all the help from my dentist that I can get. I had two children with no pain medication whatsoever and I would rather go through that again than sit in the dentist's chair. But you know what? I go because I have to and there are worse things in life than going to the dentist.

You say "oh please I doubt that gels work". Doubt all you want. I was simply letting you know MY experience with MY dentist. Of course the gel won't block all pain during the entire procedure but it DID block the tiny amount of pain from the needle of the Novocain shot. And as far as someone needing more than one shot, yes that can happen. As I said before, everyone is different. And some tolerate dental pain more than others. My dentist always says if you feel the slightest pain let him know and he will stop and give another shot.

But whatever, I am done with this thread. You have been rude to people who are here trying to help you. My advice is get some therapy for your over-the-top fear, suck it up and find a dentist that specializes in people who are extremely fearful or don't go and let your teeth rot and fall out of your mouth. I don't care.

So if I had 2-5 shots in the mouth numb to heck, I would still feel pain? Then whats the point?

So now you're saying it is a sedate but others say this pill is a relaxer which is it? And what side effects?

I have to agree the numbing get absolutely works. Anytime I need dental work done (other than cleaning) that requires Novicane my dentist always rubs the gel on (he even gives me my choice of flavors). After about 10 minutes he does the shot and I don't feel the pinch.

MJ

So I see, well why the need to go in 1 spot, why can't they give you the shot in one spot and that numbs the entire mouth?

I don't know anyone who has still had pain with adequate novicane injections for dental work. If you still feel pain, you should tell your dentist and they stop and will administer more novicane. Yes, even with the numbing gel you still feel the pinch of the shots going in, but that's it. Once the novicane takes effect, there should be no pain. The pills have no effect on the pain, they are intended to combat the anxiety of going into the chair to begin with.

I am wondering why are you saying the pills are off the table? Are you unable to take them, or just unwilling? I have anxiety myself, and dentistry is one place where it REALLY flares up. Belive me, the medication helps immensely. I am not one to take medication when I don't feel like I need it, but I can't see not using something that would make this kind of situation more tolerable.

I do feel like I would want the IV sedation in your situation as well, but if that isn't an option, anxiety meds with novicane would be a second choice.

I just don't see the pill and shot to work because both scare me and yeah the IV scares me too. Does the IV process even knock you out all the way like in a real operation status or no?

I'm "difficult to freeze" which, I'm pretty sure, is a polite way of saying that I'm a wimp when it comes to dental procedures. I almost always have a few shots of Novocaine (or rather, one needle but injected in a few places) and I've, occasionally (like maybe twice) still felt twigs of pain which I told the dentist about and more Novocaine was added. I've only had cavities filled* (though one ended up needing a crown when the old mercury filling needed to be replaced). For the crown (the prep appoint where they removed the old filling and did some more drilling), I did ask for Valium beforehand it helped (no pain at all and didn't need any "extra" - whether that is because I was more relaxed or it would have happened anyway, I don't know). I did not feel loop at all (but, I think I metabolize drugs weirdly as Ambian (which I tried to combat a long insomnia stretch) does absolutely nothing for me)).

*I did have my wisdom teeth removed as a teen but that was at an oral surgeon and was under conscious sedation (standard procedure for my dentist - not because of my freezing issues).

I just don't see the pill and shot to work because both scare me and yeah the IV scares me too. Does the IV process even knock you out all the way like in a real operation status or no?
Just because it scares you doesn't mean it won't work. It scares me too, but it works. The IV sedation puts you out completely, but not to the point of needing respiratory support like an operation. Some people have done consciousness of what is going on, but that is not the norm.

So I see, well why the need to go in 1 spot, why can't they give you the shot in one spot and that numbs the entire mouth?
Because the nerves to the gums come from different places. In order to give one shot that would numb all of those, you'd pretty much have to give the shot in the spinal cord and numb your whole head.

So now you're saying it is a sedate but others say this pill is a relaxer which is it? And what side effects?

Any tranquillising pill will inevitably have sedative effects. Until recently, benzo drugs were used to induce sleep. as well as to calm the nerves.

So if I had 2-5 shots in the mouth numb to heck, I would still feel pain? Then whats the point?
No, if you get shots, the nerve that gets the Novocaine would be numb, totally. You don't feel pain. But each main nerve needs it's own shot. The gel is placed on the surface of the gum so that you don't feel the pain of the needle going in.

No, if you get shots, the nerve that gets the Novocaine would be numb, totally. You don't feel pain. But each main nerve needs it's own shot. The gel is placed on the surface of the gum so that you don't feel the pain of the needle going in.

Okay, then so I see.

Well I was planning on getting the deep cleaning done, going through it via IV knock out, but it is not going to happen afterall. Parents complained about the price and said no so I am not doing the shot to the mouth option either or the pills. So guess my teeth will just rot. My teeth are fine anyway so.

Well I was planning on getting the deep cleaning done, going through it via IV knock out, but it is not going to happen afterall. Parents complained about the price and said no so I am not doing the shot to the mouth option either or the pills. So guess my teeth will just rot. My teeth are fine anyway so.
If the dentist is recommending a deep clean, then no, your teeth are not fine. Or won't be for long.

How old are you? "So I guess my teeth will just rot" sounds like a pretty immature response.

Maybe you could get a job and pay for your own IV knock out?

My childhood dentist preference was a 1/4" drill, so I get a lot of cracked teeth, I have had about 6 crowns and one screw, expensive and miserable but after a while the phobia about dentists goes away. My problem is the dental hygienist, how long can we talk about flossing, I am done with flossing lectures. SO I make sure to floss, I get cleanings every 3 months and she will still not shut up

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter