Has DVC ruined any one else's vacations?

I realized recently that while I'm still incredibly appreciative of my luck in life, including the travel opportunities, that my 8 year old only knows the life we have now. We've owned DVC since he was baby and he's only stayed in one bedrooms. On our off years we go other places, but usually try to rent Airbnb/VRBO homes for extended stays in places. In short, he's a well traveled kid who is used to having his own space on vacation.

So when I told him we were staying next to the airport in a regular hotel room the night before our very early flight to Florida he said "what's a regular hotel room?"

And now I know we've got dial back on the fancy trips with this kid.
This insight strikes a chord with thoughts I had after driving an older friend to the airport last week. He was raised with some level of privilege, not much but some. It is clear, from his stories, that his father opened doors and smoothed paths for the family; thus giving them the best experiences possible as life went along. (Then again, my folks did the same for us??)

Now? Without his father? Frankly, my friend struggles. Life isn't as "easy" as it once was and he remains a bit stuck in his memories. Sadly, and I assume it is on the friend's shoulders, not those of his late father, my friend failed to learn the skills needed to open those doors and to smooth the paths.

This insight strikes a chord with thoughts I had after driving an older friend to the airport last week. He was raised with some level of privilege, not much but some. It is clear, from his stories, that his father opened doors and smoothed paths for the family; thus giving them the best experiences possible as life went along. (Then again, my folks did the same for us??)

Now? Without his father? Frankly, my friend struggles. Life isn't as "easy" as it once was and he remains a bit stuck in his memories. Sadly, and I assume it is on the friend's shoulders, not those of his late father, my friend failed to learn the skills needed to open those doors and to smooth the paths.

I hope we’re doing a better job than that. What he’s gained from all this is the humility to ask for help or explanations from those around him, an understanding that different is just different rather than scary, and how to strike up conversations/friendships/informal play with kids who don’t speak the same language. I hope he’s learned to be generous. I know he learned to milk cows with grandpa and decided he’d rather work in a restaurant!!

I worry that our kid will be in the same boat. Well, maybe worry isn’t right word. But he certainly is having a different experience from my childhood.
Right? I mean, we went on trips, but we camped in state parks that didn’t have plumbing. We went to Disney back in the 70s/80s and camped. But we never, not once, ate in restaurants! I do remember my mom and dad sharing a frozen drink once.

My husband though was truly what most of consider poor. His dad was a small dairy farmer and they didn’t have much. No vacations, thrift store everything, cold house. In fact, he still eats too fast b/c as a kid he had to if he wanted to get another helping before his siblings got one. He started working as soon as he could and when he was 34 started his own business and, well, it took off and here we are...

One thing that DVC has done to me is that when I take trips elsewhere I am always booking a suite somewhere because I really like the extra space. And, I know that the family will always compare whatever I book to staying at Wilderness, Beach Club, Poly, Grand Californian, etc.. So, I’m now pretty demanding when I book something (I think Hotels.com likes me... :-) ) and in turn I pay for it...

Sort of! I didn’t purchase DVC until after our 2nd visit to WDW. However, we did stay at deluxe resorts the first two times and have never stayed at a moderate or value, and don’t plan on it. I‘m in no way casting negative judgement, it’s just not our preference, and since I have the points, there’s no need to stay where we don’t prefer. Part of the vacation experience for us is the theming and resort amenities since we‘re not in the parks 24/7. I will say that DVC has definitely influenced my choices on where to stay for non DVC trips since we’re used to the space.

Last edited:
I didn't expect our villa to feel so much like home. Coming back to the room after being in the parks and throwing a load in the washer while the kids took a bath sounds like chores, but it was oddly refreshing and comfortable. We know where everything is. My friends think I'm crazy but who's laughing now while you do 8,000 loads of laundry when you get home and I have clean clothes?!? lol

I didn't expect our villa to feel so much like home. Coming back to the room after being in the parks and throwing a load in the washer while the kids took a bath sounds like chores, but it was oddly refreshing and comfortable. We know where everything is. My friends think I'm crazy but who's laughing now while you do 8,000 loads of laundry when you get home and I have clean clothes?!? lol
Exactly! That’s why DH and I stay in 1 bedrooms. Nothing like getting home and putting away clean clothes instead of washing piles of dirty ones!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!