Has the DIS UNPLUGGED podcast gone sour?

Sure, that's the way all good travel agencies work. They don't want to book clients on an un-reputable cruise line, or using a tour company that they don't have experience with. Whoever you wanted to cruise on might have been reputable, but it's not worth the chance of ruining the reputation of Dreams Unlimited Travel, or having your vacation ruined by a company that they do not have complete confidence in. Tour companies go out of business all of the time, many times leaving travelers stranded. It's just not worth taking a chance on for Dreams Unlimited.

Valid points. We opted to do several non-cruise corporate sanctioned excursions this past trip to the Western Caribbean on Silhouette (Celebrity). Were we concerned that it was not sanctioned by the TA or cruise line? No, not really. I'm adventurous and spent much time researching our Mayan jungle adventure and snorkeling adventures long before we set sail. I can honestly say that this can offer a splinter-like insight to some.

It's part of Pete's shtick. He doesn't want the show to be viewed as nothing but a promotions show. Like I said, to me, it really doesn't matter, because it's entertainment.
And as I understand how a travel agency works. The highest commissions received by Travel Agencies like Dreams are for tours, especially international. Disney pays a high commissions for cruises as well. That's why especially John talks so much about Disney Cruises. They also pay high commissions for Adventures by Disney. It kind of baffles me that the gang doesn't do more to promote those.
I guess we’ll agree to disagree but I don’t find it to be a “schtick” I find their opinions honest.

I'd say their opinions are honest. And I think it's a mixture of their love for Disney AND their own self promotion.
The team seems to have huge nostalgia for how Disney used to operate and want todays guests to experience the same magic. On top of that it's in the interests of Dreams Unlimited for them to call out Disney when they see standards slipping, their business relies on people going to Disney and if those falling standards could deter people from going to the parks then it will cost Dreams Unlimited future clients.

The team seems to have huge nostalgia for how Disney used to operate and want todays guests to experience the same magic.
Agreed. I'm the same way. I hate the fact that my daughter doesn't get the same WDW experience that I grew up with. She loves the place but she sees the faults just the same as the rest of us do. We're always telling her stories about how it used to be.

On top of that it's in the interests of Dreams Unlimited for them to call out Disney when they see standards slipping, their business relies on people going to Disney and if those falling standards could deter people from going to the parks then it will cost Dreams Unlimited future clients.
This is a really interesting point. I hadn't thought of it in those terms. I was thinking that frequently bashing Disney was bad for business now, but if they're taking a long-term view, maybe calling attention to the current problems in hopes of getting them fixed could be good for business in the future.

I'd say their opinions are honest. And I think it's a mixture of their love for Disney AND their own self promotion.
The team seems to have huge nostalgia for how Disney used to operate and want todays guests to experience the same magic. On top of that it's in the interests of Dreams Unlimited for them to call out Disney when they see standards slipping, their business relies on people going to Disney and if those falling standards could deter people from going to the parks then it will cost Dreams Unlimited future clients.
@Daniel MacQueen Totally agree, and very nicely put. You so eloquently and succinctly stated what I was puzzling how to put together to make sense to anybody outside of myself for the longest. Thank you!

This is also how I feel - it's not that I'm bashing WDW, or how it is today. Nor do I think the Team Members are. I'd like to think "we" think somewhat alike, in that respect. It's just that I've experienced and fallen in love with it when it was so much better, and I truly want everyone else to experience and love it that way too. Probably corny, and impossible - but - I still deeply WANT that! Especially for those I love and care about, and every child I see going into their Happy Place and Land of Drams. Every family going for their first time, and some people going for their last. Even those going for their ONLY.

I thought my visit in Feb. of '93 was going to be "one and done" for me, and the magic captured me, so I want that sense of wonder, nostalgia, magic, and being in another World to be there for others, as it was for me. It definitely changed and shaped my entire life since that visit - I wouldn't even be HERE if that visit hadn't happened!! And I can't tell you the people I've met, memories I've been lucky enough to have had, things I've done, unforgettable experiences I've shared, even getting engaged in the Magic Kingdom (thought my Prince had Come, and couldn't imagine the proposal taking place anywhere else. I'd also turned him onto the magic of Disney!) , then getting over a totally smashed heart there, and at the other parks during countless hours of self reflection. Done a LOT of that, about a LOT of things in my life, over the years. Had some of my highest highs, lowest lows, calmest and happiest calms, most joyful shared moments, and most thoughtful and introspective times, all in WDW.

Never been married - but - maybe this is like how people still have love for each other, but grow apart after so many years? Things are "fine", but there is an empty hole left in their hearts, minds, souls, and memories, remembering when things were "better"?

Sorry - I know this whole post was totally sappy, corny, emotional, etc. But - for me - that is what Disney WAS, IS, and SHOULD be. :o Thanx for listening. :o

Last edited:

Though I love listening to people rant, as I'm always looking to fix things.

I absolutely love a good rant, and Petes rants are up there with the best of them!
No-one could get that emotional about a subject unless they were truly passionate about it.

I think Craig or Ryno should put together a compilation video of all of Petes rants!

I absolutely love a good rant, and Petes rants are up there with the best of them!
No-one could get that emotional about a subject unless they were truly passionate about it.

I think Craig or Ryno should put together a compilation video of all of Petes rants!
Ryno did a pretty good job this past week too - he def had me misty-eyed. :o

I've been listening since the very early days, and this is a common complaint about the DIS Unplugged. There are millions of Disney podcasts out there, and it's refreshing to have a show with insiders like Pete and the gang willing to step up and complain when Disney's standards are slipping.

I was just reading/re-reading this thread and it occured to me that I don't mind rants and complaints, but when everyone on the show participates in the ranting and complaining...that is when it feels "sour" and starts to come across as WDW-bashing.

What the show needs is a strong personality to counter these rants and complaints when they occur. Pete has a strong personality and is opinionated (I do not mean this pejoratively either). When he gets going, there isn't anyone with an equally large personality to counter any of the complaints being made by him (Pete) or others. So, everyone else kinda gets swept along and it turns in to a WDW bash session. If there were a strong counter-point being made, then there would be some sort of balance and the mood wouldn't seem as "sour."

I was just reading/re-reading this thread and it occured to me that I don't mind rants and complaints, but when everyone on the show participates in the ranting and complaining...that is when it feels "sour" and starts to come across as WDW-bashing.

What the show needs is a strong personality to counter these rants and complaints when they occur. Pete has a strong personality and is opinionated (I do not mean this pejoratively either). When he gets going, there isn't anyone with an equally large personality to counter any of the complaints being made by him (Pete) or others. So, everyone else kinda gets swept along and it turns in to a WDW bash session. If there were a strong counter-point being made, then there would be some sort of balance and the mood wouldn't seem as "sour."

Interesting view point.
I've always thought that Kevin and John are good counterpoint to any negativity about falling standards at WDW and they definitely have strong enough personalities for the job.

Interesting view point.
I've always thought that Kevin and John are good counterpoint to any negativity about falling standards at WDW and they definitely have strong enough personalities for the job.

I don't want to take anything away from Kevin and John, I like them both, but I don't often hear them voicing their opinions as strongly as Pete does.

I think Kevin and John are great and will voice their opinions on stuff they are passionate about and also if there is something they are not as knowledgeable about (which granted isn't much) they are not just going to talk just to hear themselves. Pete I think spends a lot more time in the parks and resorts, when it comes to ABD that is John and Kevin specialty

I don't want to take anything away from Kevin and John, I like them both, but I don't often hear them voicing their opinions as strongly as Pete does.
I'm not sure that I'd want to listen to a show that had two personalities as strong as Pete's, especially if they frequently disagreed. That just doesn't sound like a recipe for an enjoyable conversation.

They don't rant like Pete does but I think they make sure their opinion is heard, just in gentler tones.
And as a counterpoint, on occasions when John and Kevin are sliding towards negativity then one of the others usually calls them out on it.

There are times when the whole team is united in a rant, but in my opinion those are the times when Disney should sit up and take notes. All of the team seems to have different ideas on how the parks can be improved or are failing. When all of them are agreeing on a subject then it's probably a valid point.

Ha, thats so funny,
We went to Disneyland recently and had such a bad bad time I was laughing and saying Disneyworld ruined me for Disneyland.
It's all about the lens you view things through. We didn't have an ABD tour or a plaid with us though so maybe that's why. :)

Thats interesting. Good point.

Ha. I remember when I started on the boards 3-4 years ago, and one of the very first threads I saw was something like "Why has the show gone so negative?".

Plus, the early shots from that Slinky Dog coaster are....well....less than enthralling. Still, I'm sure the whole thing will be fine.

My kiddo's been increasingly annoyed with how little faith I have in the new Toy Story Land. You're right that expectations have been scaled down. Also, having seen the HKDLR version on Youtube, I'm even less optimistic. Still, we shall see, I guess.

I wouldn't say it's gone sour. I've lost interest in Disney. I'm going to Universal more. I listen to the Universal podcast now and then. I watched all the 7 in 7 review vlogs. I really loved those especially when Pete is involved. I still love the podcast crew.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts