• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Has this happened to you?

Pig Pen

To all who have come to this happy place...welcome
I drive a little Honda. Lately it seems every time I park I get between a big SUV or a pickup or a van. Then I can't see to back out!

I find myself inching back, praying that if someone is coming along they will see me and stop.

So far I have been lucky, but it seems to be happening more and more.

Does this happen to others? What do you do?

It always happens to me too . . .I drive a little Mazda and it seems like everyone is driving SUV's, Mini-Vans, Trucks, etc and for some reason they always feel the need to park next to little ole' me . . .

It is very difficult backing out . . .I just do it very slowly always anticipating somebody flying down the parking lot and slamming into to me. . .but thankfully that has never happened . . .Just keep inching out slowly until you can actually see . . .

Are you "man who drives big vehicle?"

Size matters you know.

I am the SUV driver.

And bought my SUV so I could "see over" other cars (in traffic, etc) - among other reasons.

Now there are mini-vans and BIGGER SUV's so I have the same problem as you. Here's what I do when I back out:

I put the vehicle in reverse, knowing that this will illuminate my backup lights. I sit for a moment, making sure anyone looking can see I'm about to back out.

Then I inch out, little by little....and figure that if someone is coming, they have just GOT to see me!

Then I say a little prayer that they see me and their brakes work, as i continue to pull out until I can see safely - then I boogie on out.

My grandmother quit driving when this started happening to her. I'm so glad. She had no business driving, anyway.

I have a little Honda too... I hate that. Honestly half the time I back into the space now. Not sure if it really helps but I feel like I can see a little better looking around the big SUVs. Otherwise I slowly back out and pray people stop for me.

I cannot back into a space...I AM woman, you know....

Anyway, the other day I tried to parallel park on a one-way street on the DRIVER side of the street and I finally gave up. Some guy in back of me in a mini-van swished right into the spot.

Maybe I should turn in my DL like Pebbszzz's granny.

Hey, I can back up and parallel park and I'm pretty sure I'm a woman. :p

Well, it works both ways. I used to have a SUV and I backed over my parents brand new Saturn. It was so small I didn't see it there.:rolleyes: I felt like a "monster truck" there for a moment.

It was an awful day....:(

Hey, I am a woman and can back in, paralell park and pass the Ohio manuverability (sp?) test in a manual ;) :p I admit that backing in my space today that was up hill (and trying to concentrate on a conversation) was a bit of a challenge :teeth:

Brenda... ouch :( Sorry about that car & SUV thing. That realy had to have been a terrible feeling :(

I drive a Toyota and I have the same problem. I will circle the parking lots until I find a spot that I can just pull through that was I don't back out. Sometimes I have to park way.....out to get a spot, but I feel safer. I know when people see me they think I am just lazy and looking for a closer place, but I just hate to park next to things I can't see around.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter