Hate that it’s dark at 5pm!

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by HeatherC, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Klayfish

Klayfish DIS Veteran

It's one thing I like about living on the far western end of the eastern time zone...I'm only about 30-40 miles from where it would change to central time. Being this far west, and south, in the time zone means that it doesn't dark quite as early as it does in the eastern sections, such as Boston, New Jersey, etc... It still stays light here until about 6:00 or so even around Xmas, unlike the northeast that is pitch black at 5pm. In the summer, it doesn't get totally dark until 9:30pm or a bit after.

PollyannaMom and bellebud like this.
  2. Kellykins1218

Kellykins1218 DIS Veteran

I LOVE that it gets dark so early. This is my favorite time of year:woohoo:

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. aprilchem

aprilchem DIS Veteran

No. Sunset in Honolulu today is at 5:51 pm. We go to Hawaii a lot, and it almost always gets darker about the same time in Hawaii than it would where I live in Virginia.

holden likes this.
  5. FlightlessDuck

FlightlessDuck Y kant Donald fly?

Getting darker earlier is going to happen regardless of whether we are in daylight saving time or not. Winter solstice 2018 is on December 21. In Pennsylvania, sunrise will be at 7:22 AM EST and sundown will be at 4:38PM. If we stuck with Daytime Saving Time, sunrise would be at 8:22AM EDT and sunset at 5:38PM.

So, yeah, sunset at 5PM stinks. But you want sunrise at 8:30? I don't.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    KBoopaloo, PollyannaMom and John VN like this.
  6. FlightlessDuck

Yeah, that's not physically possible. The closest you can get is 6AM to 6PM year-round. You can accomplish that living in Indonesia, the Maldives, southern Solmalia, Kenya, Uganda, the Congo, Gabon, São Tomé and Príncipe, Ecuador, northern Peru, or northern Brazil.

7. wgeo

wgeo DIS Veteran

I do appreciate that my kid isn't walking to the school bus in pitch black, so I enjoy going back to standard time and having it lighter in the mornings. But I've always been more of a morning person anyways.

PollyannaMom and Nayan like this.
  8. mrodgers

mrodgers DIS Veteran

I am now in the time of year where I only see daylight on weekends. It's dark at 6 am when I go to work and dark at 5 pm when I go home. A few days in the spring and few days in the fall when we change clocks, I get to see a little color in the sky in the mornings. Won't see daylight after work now until March or April.

FlightlessDuck and BadPinkTink like this.
  9. TheDisneyNurse

TheDisneyNurse DIS Veteran

I hated that I had to do an extra hour overnight at work. We voted to end daylight savings in FL, but it hasn't come into effect yet. I believe it still has to be approved or something?

I think the extra hour of work on the night of daylight savings is really dangerous for nurses, doctors, cops, etc. I'm tired enough as it is after an overnight shift. Just an extra hour doesn't seem like that much, but I was nearly useless by 6am. It's dangerous for the patients we take care of, and the professionals driving home in the morning.

I do like that it gets lighter earlier this time of year. No more getting blinded by the rising sun on my drive home for the moment.

PollyannaMom likes this.
  10. anniemae

anniemae Either she is eating a delicious

I thought I had heard something about that. That would be strange to have one state in EST not participate. Can they do that?

11. tinkerdorabelle

tinkerdorabelle DIS Veteran

Very depressing. I wish we would stay sprung ahead. Hate this time of year bc of it.

12. DisneySwede

DisneySwede Earning My Ears

Sunrise Today:07:26

Sunset Today:15:35

And it just gets worse for the next month.....want to talk about a short day...
    sunrise: 08:42 sunset: 14:47

13. GreatLakes

GreatLakes DIS Veteran

I'd rather it stay light later than get light earlier because I don't care if I go to work in the light or dark. I really don't mind it though. I don't let the dark stop me from doing anything I want to do outside, I have a headlamp if I need it.

14. MrsDuck

MrsDuck DIS Veteran

SAME. My almost one year old has been getting up anywhere from 4:30am-5:30am. We are all struggling this week. :(

PollyannaMom likes this.
  15. John VN

John VN DIS Cast Member

The vote was to Have Daylight Saving All Year.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/08/us/daylight-saving-time-florida.html

16. Cannot_Wait_4Disney

Cannot_Wait_4Disney Ok all you A cattle, get in ...

It gets dark a lot earlier in wintertime anyway. And we need that earlier darkness, else many would miss my awesome Christmas lights. I already started putting them up.

[​IMG]

17. FlightlessDuck

As the previous poster pointed out, it's a vote to always be in EDT -- or, to look at it a different want -- to constantly be in CST.

Arizona does not observe DST. Same with Hawaii. Indiana, which was split between EST & CST, used to not observe Daylight Saving in the Eastern part of the state. That changed in 2006. All of the US territories in the tropics (American Samoa, Guam, Peurto Rico, etc.) do not observe Daylight Saving.

So there are provisions for this.

18. wgeo

wgeo DIS Veteran

I'm not a fan of the idea of FL staying in Daylight Saving for the entire year. It means that half the year we would be at the same time as the rest of the east coast states and for half the year we would be an hour ahead of them. Just seems too gimmicky - just a ploy to try and get tourists to go out and spend more in the evening when they're here.

19. disneychrista

disneychrista DIS Veteran

A girl can dream, can't she? :)

20. low-key

low-key DIS Veteran

This sucks

21. HeatherC

HeatherC <font color=blue>Alas...these people I live with t

It was AMAZING! We drove almost 10,000 miles, saw 11 National Parks and went from MA to CA and back again. We would all do it again in a heartbeat. Highly recommend if you get the chance!