Hated SSR

rickdeni

Mouseketeer
My husband and I did a retirement trip in March/April for six weeks which included a stop at SSR. Our "home" is VWL which we love. Although they are considered "old" they are in excellent condition. The studio at SSR was "worn" - bedspread stained and carpet a real mess. It was a prime location and that is the only plus I can think of. We checked in and decided to go to downtown via the boat which had been suggested when we checked in. Of course we had to drive to the boat since this resort is so spread out. We enjoyed our boat ride and downtown Disney. When it was time to leave we went back to the boat and were informed us that the boat was not running due to "waves". We looked but didn't see any waves and asked if they had any idea when it would run again. The man told us to take the bus. We got on the bus which made 2 stops (1/2 hr) to get less than 1/2 mile. We asked the bus driver which stop we should get off at to be close to the boat since our car was then and we had reservations at LeCellier in an hour. He dropped us off at the 2nd pool which is no where near the boat. It was 90+ degrees. I called the desk who was not at sympathetic but who eventually agreed to have a cart which is used to deliver luggage pick us up when "they could". I felt that it was their fault - not mine - that I was miles from my car. The young man was very nice and I tipped him well. I had booked one night on points and paid for the second night through DVC. I could have saved $50+ by booking through the AP but thought it would just be easier. I did not receive any coffee and had asked for one packet. Imagine my surpise - $6 added to my bill for something that should have supplied. I will never go back and will never recommend anyone purchasing at SSR. It is too large with no transportation. They should have golf carts just like they did at the treehouses years ago. I did complain to "deaf ears". If this had been my first experience my points would be up for sale.

Sorry you had such a bad time. I don't see how the rooms could be worn though since they are brand new. That is a surprise.

As for the boat thing, that sucks, but that isn't the resorts fault. As for the bus, to be honest it surprises me that anyone would want to take the bus to DTD when its only 10 minutes tops from anywhere in the resort. I have heard reports about bus service to DTD not being desirable.

Hopefully you will have better luck next time - if you chose to stay again.

I'm sorry you weren't pleased with SSR, but I really don't see how it was "Disney's Fault" for your car being so far away. The boats don't run in very choppy water, or lightning. As new as SSR is, the room you had must have been terribly abused to be worn already. Are you saying you got no coffee service at all? None at check-in...or none for the second day? Just because you pay cash through MS does not mean you are entitiled to housekeeping, trash service, towels or coffee. You should have had one packet of coffee at check-in, but not for the second day. Only if you book through CRO.

I understand you had a 'bad' time in your opinion and it has caused you to 'hate' SSR, but I wouldn't say that most of what happened is Disney's fault. Unless you can't walk due to health issue, I'm not sure why you'd drive to Downtown Disney. We always walk to Downtown Disney in the sweltering July heat as it's only a few minutes away. Sorry you had such a bad experience. Maybe next time you'll better prepare for your vacation by studying a resort map or learning the bus drop offs on your own so that way you don't have to rely on Disney staff members to direct you.

I'm not sure about the wear issue either as SSR is new - did you leave this as a concern with housekeeping or front desk so that it can be corrected for the next guest? I would hope you did so instead of complaining here on the DIS.

I'm not sure why people continue to post such ridiculous threads about hating SSR - my hubby and I say that's fine with us as we will most probably never have to worry about our home being full as so many people 'hate' it - LOL!

Tiger

As a BWV owner who has stayed at SSR -- I find it hard to understand "hating" SSR. Perfect? - no...worth "hating"....no.

rickdeni said:
We got on the bus which made 2 stops (1/2 hr) to get less than 1/2 mile.

The buses from any of the resorts stop at the two stops at DTD and often times a water park. In April we didn't have to stop at the water park because it was closed.

I hope your next stay is more enjoyable. :wizard:

I am sorry you had such a bad experience at SSR. I own at SSR and BWV and I love them both. I stayed at OKW in March and got off the bus at the wrong stop. To say the least I was on the opposite side of the resort late at night with a sleepy 2 yr. old. I asked a maid who happened to be right across the street and she called over a golf cart to take me to me room. They were very nice and I found out later by my DH that I could have taken the next bus to take me to my correct bus stop.
For those going to SSR try to figure out the bus schedule or ask a driver and see what bus will take you to which stop. Also when we were pressed for time we would just drive to DTD. May be an option if you ever stay at OKW or SSR again. I still like OKW despite some off beat moments. :)

Sorry to hear your visit wasn't "magical".

The oldest building at SSR is now over 2 years old, so some wear may be starting to show in some rooms at the resort, just as at all other DVC resorts - depending on the usage they have received.

The farthest bus stop from the SSR dock is about 500 yards away. I can't tell from the description given which stop you got off, but it sounds like Congress Park, which is the closest to the boat dock - around 150 yards. The last stop, at The Springs - by the main pool, is a little over 150 yards. Either of these is similar to the walk from VWL to the WL boat dock. We rode the boat from SSR to OKW 2 days ago and walked all the way from the Carriage House to the dock without incident (that was about 200 yards total).

The boat ride, while a nice option, does have limitations both in frequency and in safety restrictions like weather and waves- so it is not a dependable means of transportation if time is an element in your schedule. For those without any reservation deadlines to meet, the boat or bus or the walkway from DD are delightful ways to enjoy the area. It's too bad the weather interfered with your needs at the time.

Tiger926 said:
I'm not sure why people continue to post such ridiculous threads about hating SSR - my hubby and I say that's fine with us as we will most probably never have to worry about our home being full as so many people 'hate' it - LOL!

Tiger

Agreed. :thumbsup2 The eyes of the beholder. :3dglasses

I am sorry the OP had such bad time. It's really sad for anyone to be dissapointed or angry at the happiest place on earth. :scratchin
Better luck next time OP :shamrock:

~DW ::MinnieMo

Sorry you "hate" ssr. We just returned and loved it. In fact our kids prefer it over the other resorts. We even used bwv points on this trip!

Yes the Congress park stop would be farther that 150 yards but not too far to walk. imo. considering all the walking you do at Disney!

Lynn

Sorry your trip wasn't great for you. It sounds like you guys may feel like we do, we just don't like "mega" feeling resort complexes. Some people do, we don't. We had family that stayed at Marriott's Grande Vista a few weeks ago and we stayed at Marriott's Horizons (before we switched over to our DVC stay). We liked Horizons better (because it was smaller and more compact feeling). Marriott's Grande Vista just felt too big feeling to us. And Grande Vista is Marriott's flagship timeshare property in Orlando. I felt "lost" at Grande Vista. I feel the same way at Saratoga. I can't help it. But I have family that adore Grande Vista and probably would adore Saratoga for the same reasons that I don't like it - the mega feel of the complex. Interesting enough, I don't feel that way about Disney's Old Key West resort - it feels like a little neighborhood to me. I guess probably the difference is the buildings aren't as tall feeling and all the pretty gingerbread pastel colors trimmed in white make it feel quaint.

At least you tried it out and now you know how you feel. I heard one of the biggest mega resorts in Orlando is Orange Lake. They say that one is like a small city.

Tiger, I agree with you!!

To the OP:
Certainly, a lot of the things you are complaining about are not Disney's fault. 1) You can't help if the boat captain or disney makes a call about safety of its guests by not running the boat. 2) You drove to the boat? What do you do in the disney parks? 3) Wear and tear is normal and has been reported by other members at other DVC locations. As a DVC member, did you report this? If I were at VWL and found something not in good condition, I would report it and not just leave it and bad mouth the resort on a message board....but that is just me!

I am sorry, and don't mean to be rude but the SSR bashing over things that could happen at ANY resort on property is just ridiculous! Maybe you should have familiarized yourself with the property. Sorry that you "hate" SSR. :rolleyes2 Please enjoy your stays at VWL!

I'm sorry that the OP had a bad time at SSR. My stays at SSR are completely different than stays at hotel type DVCs. So I understand the surprise for the OP. But I like SSR. She doesn't. And to each their own. Not all of us have to like all the DVC resorts. Most don't.

I like them all (although I do have preferences) and I believe it is because I came to DVC from the Values. It gives you a different perspective.

I am always completely perplexed by the walking stories at WDW. I have so many hysterical stories at WDW where people said I couldn't walk. Hysterical to me. Sometimes I feel that walking is like a dinosaur to many people. That's sad. But I do realize that the OPs might have had reasons for walking being difficult. So excuse this pro-walking city girl.

We briefly toured SSR last fall and weren't impressed. It was too spread out and the theme had no appeal for us. DH has back pain and tries to save walking for the parks, so he really doesn't like to "leg it" any more than necessary. We will probably never stay there and, while I'm sure there are those who will love SSR, it just isn't for everyone.

I'm sorry the OP did not have an enjoyable time at SSR. We stayed there in April and loved it. We had first toured it in 2004 and did not like it but decided to give it a try. Am I glad we did! We loved it so much we added points there for the 2nd time.

krbq said:
DH has back pain and tries to save walking for the parks, so he really doesn't like to "leg it" any more than necessary. We will probably never stay there and, while I'm sure there are those who will love SSR, it just isn't for everyone.

That's the walking perspective I was looking for. Understood. I just really get the "oh you can't walk there" a lot. And then when I do and ignore I'm completely perplexed. Thanks for opening up my eyes to another perspective.

Sorry you did not enjoy that part of your trip.

I really enjoyed SSR on our first trip there. But on our 2nd trip I was disappointed - we will not be returning there anytime soon.

I hope the rest of your trip was wonderful!

I was just trying to warn people like myself that cannot walk for long periods to not add the walking at SSR to the other walking. I felt it was Disney's fault to shut down a boat for no reason (it was not the least bit wavy) and not have alternate transportation back to where it originated.

I am sorry I have never stayed at value - only the Contemporary and Wilderness Lodge. I pick my hotels by the amount of walking. When I go on vacation I expect the resort to be responsible for its guests if it has to close something down. The deluxes always take good care of their guests.

SSR is never fully booked and it was the only DVC open for those 2 days. I am just saying that I will never stay there again. I was completely spoiled by VWL and its staff and found the staff behind the desk at SSR not accommodating and yes I did complain to them but they did not care at all

I understand that SSR was not for you, but your post is full of inaccuracies about SSR.

SSR is not a Value Resort. If it were, there would not be a boat to shut down. And while you may not have seen waves, I will continue to trust the Boat Captains judgement when those calls are made. That's like telling a pilot, "I dont feel any Turbulence" lets keep flying and turn off that dang seatbelt sign! :goodvibes

And there was alternate transportation available to you, the same alternate transportation they offer at VWL when the boats cannot sail due to lightning or other conditions. The BUS! :confused3

And all the resorts require walking. From where the bus dropped you off at Congress Park to your car (if you parked at the boat, you parked in front of the DVC Sales Center), cannot be more than 5 minutes at a slow pace. Even VWL's boat dock is located at the very back of the resort, as well as the Contemporary's and YC/BC too. So the driver was correct and that was the closest bus stop to your vehicle. If you parked at the Carriage House, that parking is limited to 30 min for check ins, so Im assuming you didnt.

I dont know of any resort Value, Deluxe or otherwise that drops you off at your car so you can save the walking for the parks. VWL's parking lot is not exactly close to VWL or the boat dock.

Nothing at SSR is miles away. The vehicle was not that far away. SSR reminds me of how Magic Kingdom is designed, with all the Villa Buildings radiating out from the Main Bldg.

It is definitely alright to have an opinion and "hate" SSR, but the inaccuracies should be cleared up for others.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!