Hated SSR

Liferbabe to correct your mistakes (we all make them - you too)
(1) Someone else made reference to only staying at value resorts - I was replying to them.
(2) VWL does not require me to drive to the boat - it was a long way at SSR
(3) The boat was no where near the DVC sales center - it was close to the golf course.
VWL is a short walk to the boat.
Since you were not there - you do not know if there were "waves" - I was there - I do know.

As one person stated some people like large complexes - I wouldn't mind it if a golf cart was included or could be rented.

rickdeni said:
(1) Someone else made reference to only staying at value resorts - I was replying to them.
(2) VWL does not require me to drive to the boat - it was a long way at SSR
(3) The boat was no where near the DVC sales center - it was close to the golf course.
Since you were not there - you do not know if there were "waves" - I was there - I do know.

As one person stated some people like large complexes - I wouldn't mind it if a golf cart was included or could be rented.

Just don't stay there again. I will be happier, as I like to see smiling faces at my home. You will be happier, as I am sure you like to be smiling when you are home.

Just because YOU hate it, doesn't mean it's a bad resort. You just have different taste! ;)

We stayed at the Springs at SSR. It weas close to everything. My dad was with us and after 3 cancer operations he walks at a very slow pace and does tire. However, he really enjoyed SSR. He liked it so much that he and my mom added pioints there. The Springs was a great location.

We found the CM at check-in to be extremely helpful. I had asked for our room ( a 2 bedroom ) to be near my parents ( a studio). Thye did everything they could to accomodate us and got us rooms right across from each other in the building we wanted.

As for the boat issue- I'm glad Disney puts safety first.

Last summer we stayed at BWV. Check-in did niot go smoothly. The bus transportationwas not very good. Our rooms were down the end of a very long corridor and on different floors. It took my dad ages to walk to the lobby and out the front door down the very long side walk to the bus stop. However, I did not hate BWV because of all these inconveniences.Things happen.

I would never say I hated a DVC resort. I might prefer one over the other . Things might not run as smoothly as we would like at any given time at any DVC resort. However, are all unique in their own way and each offer something for everyone. I'm just happy wherever I stay because I'm at WDW!

Do you think it is fair to ask SSR owners to pay maintenance and increased insurance for the golf carts? The water may not have been choppy, the boats could have been down for a reason they chose not to disclose, like an accident or collision. You chose to drive to the boat dock at SSR, as we often choose to drive to Olivia's or the boat dock at OKW when we stay at the back side of that resort. We know the boats can go offline at anytime...even sometimes when instruments pick up lightning in the area on a perfectly clear day. Instruments could have predicted wind gusts and unsafe boating conditions, Disney is "better safe than sorry" in most of their calls.

I doubt the boats would have gone offline without a good, compelling reason, whether or not the general public was privy to the information.

I think folks are being a little defensive and mean.
We all go to Disney to have a good time, and we joined the DVC to have a level of service, theme and care above average.

I would be a little upset if I took transportation somewhere and then couldn't easily get back to where I parked my car. Obviously, the OP had a lesser level of service and accomodations than they expected. I think folks should put their politically correct stuff about resorts aside and simply empathize.

It is ok to say you hate a resort and why, especially once you have tried it. I think, there is more defense here simply because its the SSR which seems to get a much more variety of reactions than other resorts. I doubt we would see the same reaction if they said BCV!
the Op never said we hade to hate the resort, simply stated their experience and how it turned them off.
Your mileage may vary.

to the OP ... that's too bad you didn't enjoy your stay. I hope if you ever go back there that it'll be better.

SSR is big, but we really enjoyed it. It's our home, but the jury is out on whether it'll be our favorite DVC. We've tried OKW and SSR so far. BCV to come this fall!

rickdeni said:
My husband and I did a retirement trip in March/April for six weeks which included a stop at SSR. Our "home" is VWL which we love. Although they are considered "old" they are in excellent condition. The studio at SSR was "worn" - bedspread stained and carpet a real mess. It was a prime location and that is the only plus I can think of. We checked in and decided to go to downtown via the boat which had been suggested when we checked in. Of course we had to drive to the boat since this resort is so spread out. We enjoyed our boat ride and downtown Disney. When it was time to leave we went back to the boat and were informed us that the boat was not running due to "waves". We looked but didn't see any waves and asked if they had any idea when it would run again. The man told us to take the bus. We got on the bus which made 2 stops (1/2 hr) to get less than 1/2 mile. We asked the bus driver which stop we should get off at to be close to the boat since our car was then and we had reservations at LeCellier in an hour. He dropped us off at the 2nd pool which is no where near the boat. It was 90+ degrees. I called the desk who was not at sympathetic but who eventually agreed to have a cart which is used to deliver luggage pick us up when "they could". I felt that it was their fault - not mine - that I was miles from my car. The young man was very nice and I tipped him well. I had booked one night on points and paid for the second night through DVC. I could have saved $50+ by booking through the AP but thought it would just be easier. I did not receive any coffee and had asked for one packet. Imagine my surpise - $6 added to my bill for something that should have supplied. I will never go back and will never recommend anyone purchasing at SSR. It is too large with no transportation. They should have golf carts just like they did at the treehouses years ago. I did complain to "deaf ears". If this had been my first experience my points would be up for sale.
My sister recently stayed there and said it looked "beat to hell" too. I guess some people don't care how they treat a hotel.

Respectfully, (not trying to cause trouble here, just a question of curiousity)
Were the rooms that were found by OP and others (disrepair, below par In their opinion) booked through DVC on members points or were they cash ressies?

Just curious about wether the DVC pool of rooms are a different lot than the
cash ressies lot.

~DW

elijahpep said:
Respectfully, (not trying to cause trouble here, just a question of curiousity)
Were the rooms that were found by OP and others (disrepair, below par In their opinion) booked through DVC on members points or were they cash ressies?

Just curious about wether the DVC pool of rooms are a different lot than the
cash ressies lot.

~DW
I made the ressie with points.

rickdeni said:

The golf clubhouse is next to the boat dock and is also next to the DVC Sales Center. The parking area there is surrounded by the clubhouse, sales center, tennis courts and boat dock and all are 150 yards (or less) to the Congress Park area of the resort - about the same distance (or less) that VWL is to the WL boat dock.

The boats travel from DD to SSR and on to OKW (as well as DD to POR) with a distance of over a mile on the water. Standing at DD (or any other single location) it would be very difficult to judge the conditions along the full extent of the trip. The decision to curtail boat trips is made by the staff based on the weather conditions the boats will encounter over the course of the trip. Since you could not see the condition of the entire route - you didn't realize there were waves - they (the boat staff) were there - and they do know and even reported it to you. The same thing can occur at WL, FW, CR, GF and Poly based on the conditions present at any moment and what the boats are capable of handling.

Rozzie said:
...Just because YOU hate it, doesn't mean it's a bad resort...
Sure, but I don't blame anyone who just spent $15K there if they get a bit defensive hearing it.

We were at SSR last weekend, and we took the bus to DTD ... mostly because it was there as we were walking up to where The Springs bus stop was and because we hadn't gotten oriented to the resort yet to realize how close DTD is for walking. We took the boat back and when we got off, we went to the right walking and found ourselves by the tennis courts and behind the DVC preview center where if we had gone to the left, we would've been closer to where the Carriage House is and likely close to where the OP parked.

As for the buses, there are four stops within SSR - and our experience was that the buses arriving into SSR go like this: The Carousel (by the Paddock and where the new construction is going on), The Paddock (by the Paddock's quiet pool and playground, near the long bridge that goes across the pond), the stop at Congress Park, and then The Springs which is the last one before leaving SSR and up near the Community Hall, etc.

OP - I'm sorry you had a lack of response to your needs from guest services.

When I look at the map, it appears the length of Saratoga is the length of Downtown Disney? Surely that's roughly equivelant to the distance from Boardwalk to the International Gateway?

Just trying to get distances in my head. I'm no longer limited to short walking distances since getting a power wheelchair. My 74 year old dad (with bypass surgery and arthritis) can get limited walking but we rent a scooter for him for the length of a Disney trip. He choses to walk the Boardwalk-International Gateway route just to get some exercise. It doesn't bother him as long as we go slow and take our time. I succesfully talked my dad into renting the scooter a year ago, even though the stubborn old goat insisted he'd be just fine walking the parks. I convinced him he might be, but he'd be so slow I'd want to strangle him. Now he loves the scooter because he only tires himself out when he choses to do that, and he always has a seat.

I can imagine if you're used to just hopping off the monorail at the Contemporary or used to the smaller Wilderness Lodge, something roomy can be jarring. But isn't Boardwalk and Beach Club even more spread out? And nothing is as large to traverse as Fort Wilderness where they do rent golf carts, surely.

rickdeni said:

Here I am. I guess you were replying to me. Rickdeni, hmmm how do I say this? I was mentioning the Values only to back up why I like all the DVC resorts with a big smile on my face. A tad sarcastic about myself. In the sense that I've never known what I was missing. If you don't know you don't know. My different perspective. I felt like an imposter the first few trips to DVC. Like someone was going to high kick me back to the Values!!! :moped: I was smiling at myself and my naivite...me..... certainly not "saying" anything about you. I guess I don't quite get the "reply" to me b/c it wasn't about you at all. I never thought you had stayed in a Value.

I guess I didn't communicate well enough but I was trying to voice in that post that you have every right to your opinion and that we don't have to love all the DVC resorts. Certainly not. And like I said a lot don't . And obviously SSR is not your cup of tea one bit. No big deal.

I own there. It's not my favourite of all the DVCs. I can see where they could tweak a few things. But I do like it and have enjoyed all of my stays there. You hate it and didn't enjoy your stay. So? You have a right to that opinion.

My partner has told me that she NEVER wants to set foot into VWL. She says it feels like a cave. I don't know what her problem iis ....either do those VWL owners know what her problem is... :rotfl: I love it. No problem. I can experience peaceful, beautiful solitude.... alone. Poor her. :stir:

rickdeni said:
I was just trying to warn people like myself that cannot walk for long periods to not add the walking at SSR to the other walking. I felt it was Disney's fault to shut down a boat for no reason (it was not the least bit wavy) and not have alternate transportation back to where it originated.

I am sorry I have never stayed at value - only the Contemporary and Wilderness Lodge. I pick my hotels by the amount of walking. When I go on vacation I expect the resort to be responsible for its guests if it has to close something down. The deluxes always take good care of their guests.

SSR is never fully booked and it was the only DVC open for those 2 days. I am just saying that I will never stay there again. I was completely spoiled by VWL and its staff and found the staff behind the desk at SSR not accommodating and yes I did complain to them but they did not care at all

You better not stay at BWV then as well because I walked longer to my room at BWV then when I stayed at SSR.

And I am wondering what you wanted SSR to do - the boats were stopped when we stayed at BWV and while it was annoying it also was to do with SAFETY....what if there was a legitimate reason - like the fact the dock at DTD had too heavy of waves and the boat capsized - would you then be howling they should have shut off the boat? Seems like they cannot win for losing on this one.

And funny thing I think NEVER is not true - SSR is frequently at capacity it and OKW just fill up last. But then it seems to me that you set yourself up to HATE the resort because that is something that is just peachy to do here. I did not like BWV at all but to say HATE about a beautiful resort????

:sad2:

Sorry you had a horrible stay at SSR. Disney Transportation is terribly unreliable in general. It is one of the reasons I rarely use it especially if I need to be someplace at a certain time. If you feared you would miss your ressies at Le Cellier why didnt you just head to an Epcot resort from DTD and come back for your car later?

Why is everyone beating this guy up over HIS opinion? He stayed at SSR, didn't like it and will probably never go back there again. That is his opinion of it. I love SSR, but if he doesn't, then he doesn't...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts