Hats, fancy clothes, and rides - advice?

Raya

DIS Veteran
I'm the lucky recipient of an amazing Cloche hat that matches my Christmas sweaters. I'd like to wear it along with my fancy white silk pants so our MVMCP photos look excellent, however, I'm also a big ride fan. Does anyone have advice about rides and hats? Can I leave my hat on the platform, unofficially? I'm sure it's not safe on my head for Space mountain, etc. but could I hold it in my hands? I remember there being bags on BTMRR, would they fit a hat? Also, are white pants on the ride a disaster waiting to happen?

From experience many, many years ago at SeaWorld in San Diego, white pants are not the best choice for theme parks...lots of ride seats can be wet or dirty just from daily use. If you must wear a light color, try a Winter White to Ecru type color, and probably not silk...it can snag too easily.

You do have to keep it with you and most of the storage bags on the rides are too small to fit a hat into (other than a baseball hat or a newsies cap or something that can be squashed with no damage). If you don't feel comfortable holding the hat directly in your hand, you could bring your own bag for it - even just a plastic Walmart bag or a paper gift sack would give you a handle that you can grip better than just trying to hold the hat itself.

You can stop by any shop and ask for a plastic bag and they’ll give you a large, clear plastic bag for your hat. Reusable bags with handles can be purchased for $2-3.

Your white pants may be not-so-white after a few rides so maybe do the pics before you hit up attractions. As for your hat, that you will hold yourself cause...as the prospector says on big thunder, " hang on to them hats and glasses cuz this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!!"

Some white fabrics turn transparent when wet, which could divert attention from your lovely sweater and hat. Might even get you an interesting conversation with WDW security. I'd divide my day, half for photos and half for rides, changing clothes mid-day.

Can you bring one of the 99cent ponchos to sit on for the rides and thus protect your backside and possibly wrap it around to where the lap bar might also leave a mark? Then ditto a bag for your hat so it can be more easily held without cramming it into the ride pouches which would surely crumple the awesomeness of your cloche. Just crumple up the poncho after each ride and put it in the bag that was holding your hat until the next ride when you take out the poncho and insert the hat - repeat as necessary. Have fun looking so amazing 📸

I had to look up what a cloche hat was, and then felt silly because I own one and just didn't know what they were called! I have to say, while I think it would be possible to bring that hat on a ride and hold it in my hands, it's not something I would personally take on rides since I'd be afraid of it getting crushed (and it absolutely would not stay on my head). Also would not want to have to worry about white silk pants on potentially dirty ride seats, or about potential snags on uneven surfaces. So I guess my general thought is that I personally would not do it.

Are you only going to be at MK for the Christmas party? Or will you have other park time there? Anymore it seems like the Christmas party doesn't have particularly short times for rides, so what I would suggest would be to, as others have suggested, get a locker and plan on changing your clothes. If you're able to go to the park earlier in the day you could wear something a bit more durable then and get all your rides in, then change into the fancy clothes at party time and spend the evening focusing on photos, parades, and all the other non-ride things the party offers.

Also, are white pants on the ride a disaster waiting to happen?
I think so. A lot of people seem to step on seats when climbing into rides. Could you go ‘60’s’ style and tie a jumper around your waist to protect the trousers when you are seated?

Your outfit sounds like it would be a big hit! But like everyone else I would caution against it. Maybe wear it in, get pics over with, and then change into something sturdier that can get dirtier. I think your pants will get ruined. And the hat, yeah, you'd have to hold it. The ones I've seen in that style have been squishable enough that they would go in the little storage spots on the ride, depends on the hat and if you're ok with that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!