Haunted Mansion Holiday in 2020? Any Info?

joseph821

DIS Veteran
Hi.
Construction on the refurbishment of the Haunted Mansion has been halted due to the closure. If we assume that the Haunted Mansion has at least one month left of refurbishment and Disneyland opens in July, the Haunted Mansion would be ready late August. I cannot see Disneyland closing the attraction for the installation of the Haunted Mansion Holiday overlay due to the costs involved and closing the attraction for another 2 weeks.

Perhaps Disneyland could decorate the Mansion indoors and outdoors with a traditional Halloween decorations beginning in October.

As much as I love the Holiday overlay. I do not see it coming back for the traditional Halloween time from September through Halloween. Perhaps for Christmas but I doubt that as well. The attraction has been closed since January and with the park closure, I do not think Disney will close the Mansion anymore than it must.

I know people plan trips because of the overlay. Any information is appreciated.

Any ideas? thoughts? Thanks!

Last edited:
I would agree as well as it being a reasonable cost saving measure. I seem to remember reading here that the one of the reasons for the length of the refurb was due in part to the damage/wear and tear that the holiday overlay did over the years.

This overlay is probably the #1 reason we go to the park in the fall/early winter.

I'm not saying we won't go, but this one carries a lot... a LOT of weight.

My hope is it just stays closed and opens with the holiday overlay installation.

I could just as easily see them putting it back to the holiday version while it's down if it won't reopen until close to its usual down time and not reopening as normal version until 2021. That overlay, whether one likes it or not, is very popular with many people.

It is something I've been thinking about too, though, and what Disney will do. I can see pros and cons for both options.

I would agree as well as it being a reasonable cost saving measure. I seem to remember reading here that the one of the reasons for the length of the refurb was due in part to the damage/wear and tear that the holiday overlay did over the years.

That's slightly varied from what I recall reading here. I kept seeing people say it was damage due to the rushed time frame putting the overlay up for 2019. Basically that the Powers That Be wanted it up faster and while it did go up faster, it had the consequence of causing damage that normally does not occur when they're going at the usual pace.

I suspect the Haunted Mansion has at least one to two month of refurb left and the refurb will not start up again until Disneyland opens. I do not think the Overlay will be installed when the Mansion opens. As much as I enjoy the Holiday version, I just think Disney will save money and not install this year.

All the rushing in installing the overlay caused this lengthy refurb and I think it will open as the original. I do suspect the Mansion will be decorated for Halloween.

I might be in the minority in this and I must admit we have never been there to see the holiday overlay in person but I have watched a ride thru of it and I really don't see why people like it so much as it really didn't do anything for me. Might be different if you see it in person but I still prefer the regular version.

I might be in the minority in this and I must admit we have never been there to see the holiday overlay in person but I have watched a ride thru of it and I really don't see why people like it so much as it really didn't do anything for me. Might be different if you see it in person but I still prefer the regular version.

It's interesting because I hold the opposite view, after the overlay went down, we rode the original and it felt like it was missing something, it almost felt creepy/empty.

But I guess that's what a haunted mansion is supposed to make you feel like!

My 6 year old was not a fan, hah. Welp, there's always IASW. If they don't overlay Christmas on that....Disney would have lost its soul!

I hope they can get the refurb going again so the HM can open when the park does. We're planning on being there July 2-7, and I would be SO disappointed if HM were down when we go, especially since plan C is October (when the overlay would, presumably, be on, if they put it on this year).

I hope they can get the refurb going again so the HM can open when the park does. We're planning on being there July 2-7, and I would be SO disappointed if HM were down when we go, especially since plan C is October (when the overlay would, presumably, be on, if they put it on this year).

According to the Orange County Register, work has not resumed on the Haunted Mansion refurb as well as the King Arthur Carousel and Snow White. Hopefully construction will resume so it can open for you visit. Not sure what will happen.

I think it's a safe assumption there won't be an overlay this year. We may very well still have limited numbers in the park in the fall, and if the construction doesn't restart until opening is announced, I doubt they can finish the refurb and get everything up in time.

Meanwhile, I'll be crying in the corner hoping for the Jingle Cruise to come back one day.

This overlay is probably the #1 reason we go to the park in the fall/early winter.

I'm not saying we won't go, but this one carries a lot... a LOT of weight.

My hope is it just stays closed and opens with the holiday overlay installation.
Yeah, us too. My daughter (7) loves it and is still afraid of the regular Haunted Mansion and I honestly prefer it as well. It wouldn't be the thing that would keep us from going if we do decide to carry on with our trip in November, but it would be sad. I would also hate to miss the Small World holiday overlay if they skip that as well.

I think it's a safe assumption there won't be an overlay this year. We may very well still have limited numbers in the park in the fall, and if the construction doesn't restart until opening is announced, I doubt they can finish the refurb and get everything up in time.

Meanwhile, I'll be crying in the corner hoping for the Jingle Cruise to come back one day.
I loved the Jingle Cruise too!! I agree that it is very unlikely for an overlay this year.

I’d be pretty bummed if we end up going in December and there was no overlay. That overlay is a big piece of the Halloween ANd holiday season. I’m guessing Disney will do their best to keep it.

I’d be pretty bummed if we end up going in December and there was no overlay. That overlay is a big piece of the Halloween ANd holiday season. I’m guessing Disney will do their best to keep it.

I think for the December time period. Expect Small World Holiday and all the park decorations. I do not expect the overlay for the Haunted Mansion this year. I do not think DIsneyland wants to disappoint but I think the Halloween Time from the middle of September to Halloween..forget the normal things and that includes the Halloween night parties at DCA.

I would be ok either way for the HMH version or not for 2020. I could see them keeping it down all summer and opening in holiday. But I could also see it being opened as regular and kept that way too. I just hope they fix the audio issues for the handicap buggies ---- during HMH last year, it would start with regular HM dialog and then at about the coffin, it would switch to HMH dialog (a coffin Jack says would make a fine Christmas present). It was weird and we complained multiple times and had many re-rides and it was just not fixed and happened every single time!

Now if Small World Holiday does not open, I will be heartbroken. It is my #1 favorite ride and my favorite holiday thing in the parks!

I would be ok either way for the HMH version or not for 2020. I could see them keeping it down all summer and opening in holiday. But I could also see it being opened as regular and kept that way too. I just hope they fix the audio issues for the handicap buggies ---- during HMH last year, it would start with regular HM dialog and then at about the coffin, it would switch to HMH dialog (a coffin Jack says would make a fine Christmas present). It was weird and we complained multiple times and had many re-rides and it was just not fixed and happened every single time!

Now if Small World Holiday does not open, I will be heartbroken. It is my #1 favorite ride and my favorite holiday thing in the parks!
The audio issues are in the speakers of the doom buggies. Hopefully all the speakers are checked and functional. The handicapped buggies definitely need to be perfect to be ADA compliant.
Also the audio needs to be improved.

I think Small World Holiday is a given this year so no worries there.

The audio issues are in the speakers of the doom buggies. Hopefully all the speakers are checked and functional. The handicapped buggies definitely need to be perfect to be ADA compliant.
Also the audio needs to be improved.

I think Small World Holiday is a given this year so no worries there.

Yes, I hope they really check the speakers in the ADA buggies. It was weird the first time and then it just kept happening. We would mention it to the cast members and it seemed the majority were aware, so hopefully it will be carefully checked.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!