Haunted Mansion Refurb - Jan 21 to Late March/Early April

Totally sucks because we have a great rate at the Grand Californian and I'll have to pay huge change fees to JetBlue.
You'll also lose the cost of one night at the Grand since you book with Dapper Days.

There are still lots of other rides and other things to do. I am used to many things being down around the parks out of summer season. It sucks and I am especially bummed about Haunted Mansion, but there are still a lot of other things to do. Losing the Dapper day rate and also losing a full night's deposit would probably keep me booked and I'd just plan on doing lots of other stuff including stuff outside of DL.

You'll also lose the cost of one night at the Grand since you book with Dapper Days.

There are still lots of other rides and other things to do. I am used to many things being down around the parks out of summer season. It sucks and I am especially bummed about Haunted Mansion, but there are still a lot of other things to do. Losing the Dapper day rate and also losing a full night's deposit would probably keep me booked and I'd just plan on doing lots of other stuff including stuff outside of DL.
to change dates id lose my flight that's too much for me to change it over the loss of a ride or 4. There is still much to do we haven't been to dl in 4/5 years so lots of new stuff to see.
I agree. DL has so much more to it than the rides. I am a local, but during the winter and spring when many attractions were down, my friends and I discovered so many hidden gems. Now those are apart of our Disney outings. Ultimately it's up to you on what you do, but your trip may end up being amazing! Plus Dapper Day weekend is a fun time to go!

I have to keep reminding myself that our reason for heading back so soon after our last trip is to try and get in Rise of the Resistance and for the food and wine festival. There is still so much to see and do. But I can also understand those who can only go once in a blue moon being disappointed that some classics are going to be unavailable. Referbs are part of the ins and outs of going to a Disney park, I just wish DLR would announce them sooner rather than later (except in cases where a ride has to go down to deal with immediate concerns).

Technically, yes. But I wouldn't give up that easy.

Going end of April so I'm probably safe for HM. But you guys have me worried now for Indy.

The only one of those 3 attractions that I would miss if it were under refurb during one of my visits would be Indy. Haunted Mansion is fine, but no big deal if I miss it. Snow is just a weird dark ride.

The worst disappointment I had for a Disneyland trip was in 2003 (before I started looking at Disney forums online) and I took my kid and my nephew for their first trip. The first thing I wanted to take them on was Space Mountain - and it was closed until 2005 lol. Actually, it was shortly after the person got killed on Big Thunder Mountain Railroad so that was still shut down. I think Splash Mountain was down too. Only one mountain was open (Matterhorn).

Even with all the big closures though, we still had fun.

Right then, when I saw Space Mountain was down for 2 years I promised them we would return in 2005 (which I did do for them).

Another site had Indy listed as possibly going down in Spring. You would think they would want any upgrades done BEFORE it’s anniversary though....🤷‍♂️

I totally understand the frustration. But the attractions eventually do need to be refurbished. I bet that Indy goes down for refurb on 1/21...the day after the opening weekend of Rise of the Resistance at DL...and I bet it comes back online before the 25th anniversary in early March.

I hope not. We arrive 1/23 and didn’t get on Indy our last trip 😞

We generally go in late February and even though last year's trip had Space down and the castle under wraps, we had a great time.

They have to do this stuff sometime or else the attractions fall into disrepair. Anyone has every right to be disappointed and I agree they should announce lengthy refurbs further in advance, but let's be realistic.

Since HM is down, I do hope Indy is up for our trip, but if not, it's no deal-breaker for us.

We generally go in late February and even though last year's trip had Space down and the castle under wraps, we had a great time.

They have to do this stuff sometime or else the attractions fall into disrepair. Anyone has every right to be disappointed and I agree they should announce lengthy refurbs further in advance, but let's be realistic.

Since HM is down, I do hope Indy is up for our trip, but if not, it's no deal-breaker for us.

Again, I don't think anyone has a problem with refurbs. It's gotta be done at some point. But unless it's unplanned, I think any theme park destination has a responsibility to give more than a few weeks notice of attractions being closed. Obviously they're not under any legal obligation to do so, but it would be the right thing.

Again, I don't think anyone has a problem with refurbs. It's gotta be done at some point. But unless it's unplanned, I think any theme park destination has a responsibility to give more than a few weeks notice of attractions being closed. Obviously they're not under any legal obligation to do so, but it would be the right thing.

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying. It'd be a courtesy to extend to guests.

you and me both. I am there for there early March and it is a must do. I may postpone
We are there in late March and Indie is my daughter’s must do. I told her if it’s down we will just plan another trip when it’s back up. There will still be plenty to do.

I just posted this in the Indy thread, but thought you might be interested

Interestingly enough, I applied for a job with DLR that involved facility forecasting and planning. The interviewer said they already have most of 2020 planned out, so if I come on board I would be starting with the 2021 forecasting. (This was back end of Oct early Nov)
The job entailed refurbs for dining locations, attractions, stuff like the main street sidewalk stuff from last year and french fry removal, etc. So full scope refurb planning
So either they mis spoke about the job (which i specifically double checked he said 2021 since i was so surprised), or they do actually have their refurb schedule planned that far out and they are just not releasing it until much later which seems ridiculous but not unlikely.

Interestingly enough, I applied for a job with DLR that involved facility forecasting and planning. The interviewer said they already have most of 2020 planned out, so if I come on board I would be starting with the 2021 forecasting. (This was back end of Oct early Nov)
The job entailed refurbs for dining locations, attractions, stuff like the main street sidewalk stuff from last year and french fry removal, etc. So full scope refurb planning
So either they mis spoke about the job (which i specifically double checked he said 2021 since i was so surprised), or they do actually have their refurb schedule planned that far out and they are just not releasing it until much later which seems ridiculous but not unlikely.

I would be shocked if they didn't have it planned out a year in advance. They just don't want to release it to the public in advance out of fear people will cancel their trip. I could be wrong, but all evidence points in that direction.

Yes, that's very interesting. Thank you for sharing!

Anyone seen an update on when HM will be open again? I thought the OC Register article said two months but I noticed this afternoon the DLR calendar has it closed in to April.

Anyone seen an update on when HM will be open again? I thought the OC Register article said two months but I noticed this afternoon the DLR calendar has it closed in to April.

Nothing yet. We don't even have park hours for April yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!