Haunted Mansion - Top 5 Worst

Status
Not open for further replies.

sethschroeder

DIS Veteran
I was watching the show today and I wanted to comment on something that everyone seemed to be frustrated with.

Issue: Being on phone while on ride

I want to specifically give a reason. This last trip was our first trip with our kids and our oldest is just 2 years old. I specifically have the cell phone on during especially dark areas of a ride to avoid a potentially scared toddler. It also is typically a very short portion of a ride and don't see the reason to avoid a whole ride when I have a solution for very brief moments.

If it was just dark it wouldn't be an issue but its the need of Disney to take away basically all light and then blast the music/talking like they are 16 and taking the car out for the first time. (Side rant why do they insist on trying to ruin my hearing hahaha)

I had also done this on Spaceship Earth and Figment.

Normally I am all for avoiding issues for others but this is one of those things that I feel is way overblown. I do agree flash should not be used but I feel that is much more invasive. Maybe I am out of touch because honestly going to a movie theatre never even notice people on their phone its only when their ringtone goes off that I get slightly annoyed. Also never had it completely distract me while on Disney rides back before kids.

I was watching the show today and I wanted to comment on something that everyone seemed to be frustrated with.

I want to specifically give a reason. This last trip was our first trip with our kids and our oldest is just 2 years old. I specifically have the cell phone on during especially dark areas of a ride to avoid a potentially scared toddler. It also is typically a very short portion of a ride and don't see the reason to avoid a whole ride when I have a solution for very brief moments.

If it was just dark it wouldn't be an issue but its the need of Disney to take away basically all light and then blast the music/talking like they are 16 and taking the car out for the first time. (Side rant why do they insist on trying to ruin my hearing hahaha)

Normally I am all for avoiding issues for others but this is one of those things that I feel is way overblown. I do agree flash should not be used but I feel that is much more invasive. Maybe I am out of touch because honestly going to a movie theatre never even notice people on their phone its only when their ringtone goes off that I get slightly annoyed. Also never had it completely distract me while on Disney rides back before kids.
I totally understand what you are saying about using the phone to alleviate fears or to bribe slightly scared kids to ride so you can go on the ride. However, I will say that a cell phone light will grab my eye in a second in a dark ride or theater, and drive me crazy trying to ignore it! It’s like a bug to a bug zapper, I can’t avoid it lol. It’s worse to me in a theater, though, because if it isn’t just for a second it’s relentless and for 2-3 hrs. In a ride it’s short and usually there are position changes so I don’t notice it constantly. At least in rides like HM. It would be much more annoying in a ride like POTC or FEA, when in the same boat.

I would say make sure you turn the screen all the way down and have the kid hold it flat in their lap instead of up where it would show to other riders more obviously.

bribe slightly scared kids

Nothing is on the screen it's simply for the tiny light on the hands and stuffed animal.

So this was preemptive?

As she raised her hands up to cover her face which basically her saying she is getting nervous. She had issue on Nemo the first time just in the pitch dark loud area but still wanted to go right back on the ride.

Nothing is on the screen it's simply for the tiny light on the hands and stuffed

you mean you had the flashlight on the phone on? I don’t call that a tiny light, and I have to say, I think that’s worse and should never be on during a ride. But maybe I’m misunderstanding. I had a ride on the SM “overlay” during VAH kind of ruined due to someone on the peoplemover using their phone light- I was super annoyed.

I understand that it's horrible to have a scared child, and I understand that the light can help that, BUT, the are rides that are designed to be dark, and, in some instances to be not scary, but you know what, yes, maybe scary to a very small child.
If a child is too scared for the ride then they are too scared for the ride. it's not fair to other people to spoil the dark ride with lights.
Everyone's Disney Holiday is special, most often, people have either had to book a ride in advance or wait a long time. Many people will not be returning, so this may be the one go they get. Changing the nature of a ride to make it better for a small child changes the nature of the ride for everyone else who may have really wanted to experience it as intended.

Stepping to the side on this issue but really enjoyed the video along with its positive mate the top 5 best HM list.

One worst issue that wasn't highlighted is the moving walkway. I disliked that thing when I was a child and I still don't like now I'm an adult. Discombobulating esp in dim lighting. I understand the wish to efficiently move guests on and off the doom buggies but that moving walkway is a real challenge for many guests. Esp parents with toddlers in tow, those with disabilities, seniors and frankly just your average tired/exhausted guest. Would guess the injuries over the decades due to the moving walkway is mile long. "Watch your step" mantra droned on and on is also painful for guests and the CMs. I don't know what the alternative would be, but something has to be better than the status quo.

But moving walkway and all, still love my HM. :love:

If your toddler gets afraid in the dark, don’t take them on a dark ride.

This kind of thing is why I thank every god there is that I live near an Alamo Drafthouse movie theater that doesn’t tolerate it.

Sorry, but I can't agree with your logic, op. To me it's just selfish. If your toddler needs a light on the ride, then your toddler shouldn't be on the ride. Why should everyone else have a diminished experience just for your toddler? Is your child somehow more special than everyone else?

Sorry, but I can't agree with your logic, op. To me it's just selfish. If your toddler needs a light on the ride, then your toddler shouldn't be on the ride. Why should everyone else have a diminished experience just for your toddler? Is your child somehow more special than everyone else?

One word: entitlement. It’s out of control everywhere but WDW is something else. Everyone’s reason for breaking the rules that exist for the safety and enjoyment of all guests is somehow justified because THEY and/or their kids are some precious exception. Same mentality that has folk strolling up 5 minutes before fireworks shoving through everyone who patiently waited for a spot and then throwing little junior up on the shoulders at showtime. Or holding up iPads blocking everyone’s view to film shows that have been posted 50 times on YouTube in 4K lol.

I once had the man in the buggy next to my wife and I shine his phone flashlight on his face and scream a maniacal laugh at the two girls who were in the buggy with him. Like he was telling a scary campfire story or something.

I just looked at him bewildered and simply said "Seriously?"

Ugh. Don't do that. Nope. Rude. Sorry your little girl is scared, but keep her off the ride.
You should reread your post - you don't see a problem with ruining the ride for others as long as your child isn't "potentially" frightened. That's a problem.

To the extreme -Some man on Pirates was taking pictures of every scene!!! The whole boat was yelling at him, he just kept taking pictures. I was actually laughing, but kind of getting nervous for him. :scared1:

This is usually my face....

giphy.gif

Ugh. Don't do that. Nope. Rude. Sorry your little girl is scared, but keep her off the ride.
You should reread your post - you don't see a problem with ruining the ride for others as long as your child isn't "potentially" frightened. That's a problem.

To the extreme -Some man on Pirates was taking pictures of every scene!!! The whole boat was yelling at him, him just kept taking pictures. I was actually laughing, but kind of getting nervous for him. :scared1:

Yep. I have a 4 and 3 year old who have been on HM 4 & 3 times respectively since they were each 1 year old.

Neither of my kids are afraid of the dark and we went other dark rides first to be sure they liked them. In fact ... both of my children have fallen asleep on mid-afternoon rides on Haunted Mansion :) We listen to Grim Grinning Ghosts at home, so that song is familiar to them.

But ... if my child was afraid of the dark, I would definitely skip Haunted Mansion, rather than ruin others’ experience so mine could ride.

I love the extreme darkness of HM and the loud clear audio. One of the best immersive rides at WDW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!