Haunted Mansion

taylortots

Earning My Ears
My son is high-functioning on the autism spectrum with sensory issues. I've been watching videos of some of the rides with him, and he wants to "be brave" for the Haunted Mansion, but I have a feeling the stretching room will be a Very Bad Idea. Would they let us bypass it and just get on the ride?

TIA!

My son is high-functioning on the autism spectrum with sensory issues. I've been watching videos of some of the rides with him, and he wants to "be brave" for the Haunted Mansion, but I have a feeling the stretching room will be a Very Bad Idea. Would they let us bypass it and just get on the ride?

TIA!

I believe that yes, there is a way to bypass the stretching room. You may need a GAC and explain to the host(ess) that he needs to skip the stretching room. Whether you include that he has sensory issues and you're unsure how he'd feel with it is your prerogative.

There is a way to skip the stretching room - we have to skip it due to DD using a wheelchair and other people with children with autism or sensory issues have posted that they skipped it.
With a GAC, you would follow the instructions below (see post #6 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread if you need more information about GACs).
I have heard of people without special needs being able to bypass the stretching room when it was not busy. (Primarily families with small children). If it is busy, you may need to come back at a later time when the CMs will have more ability to accommodate you.

Talk with the CM at the entrance to the queue. What they will probably have you do is do the same thing that people with wheelchairs and ECVs do.
We wait in the regular line until the line gets to the hearse on the right side of the line. At that point, the main line goes toward the side of the building and there is a little gate with a wheelchair symbol that goes past the hearse toward the side of the building. The fenced area below the wheel in this picture is the handicapped line.
92128HM1edsml.jpg

The picture doesn't show the gate with the wheelchair symbol, but people wait at that spot for a CM to come out from the exit to direct them.
Tell that CM that you need to bypass the stretching room and just want to board the doombuggies. When we have gone, there have usually been between 3 and 8 parties of people with special needs waiting and there are benches along the exit courtyard where you can wait until you are called to board.
You will be boarding at the exit and when you are done, you will come back to the same space to exit. The area is dimly lit and you will hear the kind of spooky HM music in the area. There is a moving walkway and when getting on, you will be walking against the moving walkway and there will be some people exiting the ride and coming toward you. After you get on, the ride path circles around to the 'usual' boarding area. You will see guests getting into the doombuggies in front and behind you (just so your child is prepared for that).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter