Haunted Mansion

Twende

Best laid plans of Mouse and men.....
Is there a different enterance to Haunted Mansion that avoids the dark room in the beginning and makes it easier to get in the buggies?

I had heard some one say there was one and I didn't know that.

If by dark room, you mean the library, not in my experience but that doesn't mean such an entrance doesn't exist or isn't possible, depending on the Guest's needs. I went in through the exit because an ECV apparently won't fit through the regular queue, then left the ECV outside and hobbled down a side hallway to the library.
But PLEASE, ask when you get there! I felt terrible for a young boy in the library with us. He was scared, and whimpering. I started quietly telling him (with his mom's permission) how there was really nothing to be afraid of, that it was Disney, that I'd been to the Haunted Mansion maybe a hundred times and I came out fine every time - and then the lights went out and the teenagers near us screamed FOR FUN! Yeah, fun for them! Grrr!

Poor little boy!

Our problem was with enough vision to see in the dark. Even once the door opened after the lightening crack it was too dark for either of my parents to see well enough not to stumble. I was able to lead my mom but my dad stumbled along on his own and it was not good. :guilty:

I had heard there was another way in and thought that that might help a bit this time. The CM's did slow down the conveyer belt that loads you into the buggies but even so the dark was very hard to both of my parents.

We did find using the exit in the Living Seas in Epcot was a huge relief for my dad. He has a thing about the normal entrance and I think it is the way you feel like you are going under the water. By using the exit you avoid this until you exit again and then you are outside right away so he was fine. :flower:

When they take you in the back way they automatically take you to the library. Because of DS panic attacks we asked if we could skip that room. Not a problem. They took us on a side hallway that dropped us off at the buggie loading area. One of his favorites, didn't know how we would manage now with the panic attacks, went just fine.

Hopperfan is absolutely right. Simply tell the CM at the handicapped entrance that you want to skip the Library pre-show. They'll take you through to where people exit the ride. The CM's are very accomodating on this ride.

Best of luck

Yes, the exit is the only place that we can load (we don't get to see the shrinking room at all) because DD can't walk more than a few steps (with someone holding her up).
In the line, when you get almost to the turnstiles to get into the building, you will see a chain with a wheelchair symbol on the right side. Wait there (even if you don't have a wheelchair) until a CM comes. For people withe wheelchairs/ecvs, they usually will ask if the person can walk 200 yds (maybe it's feet). Anyway, if you say yes, they will bring you thru the back hallway that others have mentioned into the shrinking room. If you can't walk that far, or want to avoid the shrinking room or the usual boarding area, just tell the CM that you want to avoid it. The CM will take you to the other walkway that leads to the exit. You may have to wait a while in the little courtyard outside the exit until the CM comes to get you for boarding (there are benches you can sit on). Because of fire/evacuation rules and because there is not a lot of space for wheelchairs in the hallway, they can only have a limited number of guests with special needs on the ride at one time.

I have a daughter with night blindness. We always go this back way. I don't even get a GAC, just tell the CM at the attraction what your problem is and what you need and they are very accomodating. I was very impressed with the way they led us in & directed her Great CMs at this ride!! ;)

Just be clear that you want to head straight to the Doom Buggies. This last visit they started to take us in another hallway - we had to explain the night blindness thing and then clarify what we needed to do.

Good luck!

Lives4Disney :earsgirl:

Thanks everyone! That helps so very much. I could not remember what the rooms were called. Now I remember the "cars" are doom buggies! :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter