Have booked our vacation and need some help please.

Sue's Mum

DIS Veteran
DH and I and four friends have one of our “holidays of a lifetime” coming up in September. We fly to Calgary, board a motorcoach, travel the tourist route to Lake Louise, Jasper, Sun Peaks and Vancouver, where we will board Holland & America’s “Volendam” for a seven night Inside Passage cruise on. We are looking forward to it very much, needless to say! The Snocoach on the Columbia Icefield looks to be really good and we would just love to fly over the glacier. (Is it the Athabasca Glacier that I am thinking of?)

We would appreciate some help on booking “excursions”. We know that these will be available for booking when we get on the coach and ship but we feel that we would like some information on cost before we go . Also, we feel it may cost a little less if we could “book direct” rather than through the tour operator/cruise ship and we need to try and keep down the expense without losing too much enjoyment.

We are also wondering about the weather and temperatures and what sort of clothes to take for that time of the year. I suppose we should leave our shorts at home this time! LOL. More used to Florida than anything else.

Is anyone able to give us any tips, website addresses or any other useful information please? Is there anything which you would consider a "must do" and "not to be missed"? Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks folks.

:)

Hi Sue's Mum. I'm sorry I don't have any info that I can offer you, but this sounds like a wonderful trip and I hope you have a fantastic time! Good luck with your planning. :)

Sorry I can't help you with any tours.

We camp in Banff and Jasper quite frequently, but always do things on our own. I don't know what your interests are, but the Hotsprings in Banff or Jasper are a must.

There are some excellent hiking trails accessible from the Jasper townsite. You can stop at the Parks Canada office in Jasper for trail maps. There is also hiking around Lake Louise that is nice. In the Lake Louise area, it is nice just to take a leisurely stroll around the Chateau Lake Louise Hotel grounds, and around the lake.

I'm not sure how much time you have in Calgary after your arrival, but if you have a day, I would also like to suggest a day trip to Drumheller, to the Tyrell museum. This area contains alot of dinosaur discoveries.

See: http://www.tyrrellmuseum.com/home/

The Parks Canada Website is

http://parkscanada.pch.gc.ca/parks/main_e.htm

There is lots of info about the national parks.

Hope this helps you out. Enjoy your visit to Alberta.

I'd like to help you more but I need more information. It sounds as if you are getting right on the tour bus at the Calgary airport and leaving. Will you be spending any time anywhere? Do you have time on your own? Where are you looking to do "excursions?" And what are your interests? Sorry for the q's but unless I know where you are stopping and what you like to do, it's hard to help!

September is usually a cool month, but be prepared, our weather changes drastically sometimes! I would say it's usually between 10-15 º C during the day and you will need a jacket at night.

Lake Louise is breathtaking...take lots of pictures, there's a FANTASTIC photo opportunity there with the lake and the two mountains behind it! It's been years since I've been to Jasper, but I did take the ride on the glacier, which was pretty cool!

Here's one website that can help you out!
http://www.visitor.calgary.ab.ca/travel/planning.html

Have fun with your planning!:D

Thank you all for your replies. The info is really useful.

Cass, I love your website.

I am waiting for some info from Brewsters cos we have got very very little info from the tour operator. It sounds to me as though we won't have any time at all in Calgary cos the info says that we board the bus and transfer to the Caribou Lodge. I cannot find a Caribou Lodge on any website for Calgary and the nearest would seem to be Banff. Still, I hope the info from Brewsters is not too long in coming. I'll post again when I get it.

The weather sounds just slightly cooler than we get here in the UK at the same time of the year. Thanks for that. At least I know what sort of clothes to buy/take but may be, just may be, I'll pack a pair of shorts for good luck. I'm forever the optimist.

Thanks again.

Jan

Hi Sue's Mom:

Noticed in your post that you will be visiting the Columbia Icefields. I, personally, have never been but I hear it is quite something to see. When you go - would you do me a favor? My daughter and her fiance are up there as I write this working at the Icefields. My daughter is a ticket agent. When you go - if you see a sweet, skinny, girl with a great smile and with dark hair probably pulled back into a bun - that is probably my daughter - please say HI. Tell her you are from the Disney discussion boards. She should have a name tag that says she is from Nova Scotia. Thanks.

Have a wonderful trip. We visited Alberta last year when my daughter worked in Canmore. What a beautiful area. The mountains are truly breathtaking. You are indeed in for a memorable vacation.

Evelyn,

It would be such a delight to be able to meet with and say Hi to your daughter.

PM on its way.

Jan

The Banff Caribou Lodge is a beautiful hotel at the end of the main road in Banff. It's a short walk to the shops and restaurants. Here's a website for you :
http://www.banffcaribouproperties.com/bcl/bclindex.htm

Banff is a VERY beautiful, unique town but it is VERY overpriced and VERY touristy! Hubby and I were just there in March. We spent a night at the Banff Springs Hotel (looks like a mini castle) for my 30th Birthday.

You MUST go to the Hot Springs, it's on Sulphur Mtn, not within walking distance so take a cab. While you are there, I also recommend the Gondola ride up Sulphur Mtn (hot springs and gondola are very close to one another) to see the breathtaking view!

I just got a new Alberta guidebook today and it has an article on Brewsters and their tours. They have a website, and perhaps they have that article posted online....
http://www.travelalberta.com

I often wear shorts in September....anything above 10º and I am in shorts and sandals....hubby doesn't wear shorts until we hit 30º!!! So, bring a pair and I will hope for great weather for you!

Hi

I don't know if you tried the Brewster's link ...
http://www.brewster.ca/

Regarding shore excursions for Holland America, have you taken a look at their website ...
http://www.hollandamerica.com/ShxBooking

... that way you can take a look and pre-plan what shore excursions you would like to do. Haven't been on an Alaskan cruise yet, but we absolutely love cruising and you'll have a grand time on Holland America.

Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter