Have I got this right? Disney Golf cart rental

StormyCA

Chief Troublemaker
Looked on the website. If I'm reading correctly you can pick up a Disney golf cart no earlier than 1pm and return time is 11 am?

We have a mid-stay 'down day' and had hoped to rent a GC 'just for the day' to tootle around the Fort, but in order to have a cart for 'a whole day' (say 9am - 8pm), we'd actually have to pick it up the day before we want it, return it the day after we want it, and pay for three days, two of which we wouldn't use. We're open-to-close people, so that would also necessitate leaving whichever park we're in the day before just to get the cart and delaying getting to a park the day after in order to return it.

Do I have this right?

(Looks like we'll be renting bikes IF I can figure out the Bike Barn rental hours for May!)

Last edited:
Looked on the website. If I'm reading correctly you can pick up a Disney golf cart no earlier than 1pm and return time is 11 am?

We have a mid-stay 'down day' and had hoped to rent a GC 'just for the day' to tootle around the Fort, but in order to have a cart for 'a whole day' (say 9am - 8pm), we'd actually have to pick it up the day before we want it, return it the day after we want it, and pay for three days, two of which we wouldn't use. We're open-to-close people, so that would also necessitate leaving whichever park we're in the day before just to get the cart and delaying getting to a park the day after in order to return it.

Do I have this right?

(Looks like we'll be renting bikes IF I can figure out the Bike Barn rental hours for May!)
You would just pay for 2 days of rental. For example, start a rental on a Monday at 1 PM then return on a Wednesday at 11 am is a 2 day rental.

You can generally pick up a golf cart early (before 1pm) if a unit is available although it is not guaranteed. I have usually seen carts there for pickup all morning long except for the really busy Fort times like Christmas, Halloween, and spring break times. It's like trying to get in a hotel room at WDW a few hours early. If it's available, they will accomodate you.

The return time is "must be returned no later than 11am" type of thing. If you are done at 8pm you drive it up to the check-in building where cart rentals in/out are processed and if a CM is not there, there is a night time "drop box" for keys that you can use to return your unit. So no need to wait till the next day and leave a park to return it at a specific time.

As long as you are at the Fort when it's not a terribly busy time or high season, you can get it as a 1-day rental for a down day/same day use.

Bama Ed

Thanks @bama_ed! We may just give that a try (morning pick up). The 'night drop' makes it a better deal for us even without early pick up, since we can just drop the cart off when we're done with it. Approx $70.00 ($59 + tax?) isn't too bad for 7-8 hours of use (maybe more).

One last question though, would we have to have made a reservation ahead of time for that day and then just see if there's an early pick up, or can you just go by and see if one is available 'same day' without a ressie?

We're going 1st week of May next year, so not a traditionally busy time from what I can tell. Easter is 4/21, so that 'rush' should be over. Although I expect it'll be Garden Festival time (it was when we were there about the same time in '15).

I suggest you make the reservation, you never know how busy they will be. They take your CC information but do not charge it until the day of your arrival. You can also cancel the reservation 24 hours before the 1pm pick up time on your arrival day with no penalty or charge. Better safe than sorry. The reservation line is 407-824-2752 option 1 and is open daily from 9 to 5.

Thanks @Corgidad. We probably will make a reservation. DH would rather just 'go with the flow' but I think a 24 hr cancellation window will 'flow' just fine.

By 'arrival day' I assume you mean 'pick up day'. We get there on a Saturday, but would probably rent the cart on a Tuesday or Wednesday. One of those will be our 'down day' mid-stay to hang around the Fort. When we were there in '15 we didn't really see a thing as we didn't build in any down time! Not making that mistake again!

Yes golf cart pick up day, sorry about that. You really do need some down days as day after day at the parks will quickly wear you out, sometimes to the point where most people are ready to go home. I like to call them the 3 R days ( relax, refresh, rejuvenate)

I know @bama_ed and @Corgidad have excellent knowledge about the Fort, so just to confirm the answer I did go up to the golf cart stand and ask. If you make a reservation then come in at say 6:05 a.m. or any time after that, as long as there are golf carts parked outside, the gentleman said yes you can get it that early, you would need to go into the Outpost/checking building to get your cart. After 8:00 am you can go right to the golf cart area and get your cart from there. They will tell you where to return and put the keys.

Thank you so much for that 'boots on the ground report' @snowmedic !

I appreciate you checking for me. Looks like we'll be tooling 'round the Fort next May, then!

just to confirm the answer I did go up to the golf cart stand and ask. If you make a reservation then come in at say 6:05 a.m. or any time after that, as long as there are golf carts parked outside, the gentleman said yes you can get it that early,
Thanks for confirming this Vince. DS and I are coming in early on Sept 4. We planned on heading to AK after getting settled and wanted to make sure we could get a cart before heading out.

j

No problem, he also told me if someone doesn’t have a reservation as long as there are carts available you can still pick them up early, but he does suggest a reservation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter