Have I lost my mind? Back to the Future ride question

autismmom1

Mouseketeer
Listen, I could SWEAR that I rode the Back to the Future attraction when I visited Universal Studios Orlando the summer after I graduated high school, which was 1990. I remember the holding room, the DeLorean ride cars, and looking to the right and seeing other ride vehicles in the theater. I did NOT go to US again until I was much older and the ride was closed/revamped into The Simpsons. However, when I looked up the opening day for the attraction, it says it didn't open until 1991??!! How can this be? Is it possible they were doing soft openings that early? I've tried more research, but am not coming up with anything helpful...is there anyone out there that can help corroborate my memory of having ridden it before opening day? TIA, you may save my mental health!

The park opened in summer 1990 and, as I remember, the BTTF ride was supposed to open with it and was delayed around a year for some reason. It was a scramble to get it opened even then, so I doubt you would have had a soft opening a year before. We went down in summer 1991 and got to ride it only a few months after it opened.

According to what I've read it only had a soft opening of one day prior to the official opening on May 2nd. So, not much of a "soft opening". I do not want to question your memory of what you actually saw, but is it possible to have the dates a little off? I ask since technically when going to school you kind of dip into two years, you start in one year, then you end school the next year. You say it's the summer after you graduated, so does that mean you graduated, then technically you went right then so it was "the summer after you graduated" in a way, or you waited a whole year and then went that summer, so then it's "the summer after you graduated".

I do not want to deny what you saw, but since the dates are so close that's why I'm wondering if that what might be the confusion. I only thought of it since I remember my dad insisted that he went to River County opened, because of "this, this, and that" reasons would make it a specific year in his life, but the River County opening happened a few years prior to when he claimed he went, but he states he wouldn't have been able to go the year of the opening that is reported, because of "this and that" reason.

Thanks for the replies you guys, I'm really second guessing myself here...I was hoping my memory was correct about the year, but I KNOW it was correct about experiencing the ride. I appreciate your helping with it - I never doubt the people on this board!

I just want to add for anyone who may believe, or knows they had ridden this ride prior to the opening date of May 2nd. I discovered that this ride had been in "technical rehearsals" starting Jan of the year it came out in 1991.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!