Have resale prices increased since the "limitations" went into affect?

And before that, Copper Creek rooms were smaller than Boulder Ridge with less appealing decor.

And before that Poly had no One or Two Bedroom Villas.

And before that Grand Floridian was a long walk from the main resort with a tiny lobby and no amenities.

And before that Bay Lake Tower looked like every other ultra-modern high-rise apartment complex.

And before that....

Except here is the thing its all added up to the point that MK and Epcot have all room categories and prime locations covered.

As you can see every location except Copper Creek is a prime location to MK. Why does AKV command such a lower price when it is pretty much universally looked at as the best overall resort (and crowned such on a recent DVC show if I remember correctly) and has a fairly cheap point chart? Location

Think I am crazy and negative for stating a fairly obvious issue that there are 0 deluxe resorts left without DVC attached and 0 plans currently public to build a stand-alone DVC in a prime location next to Epcot or MK.

You don't think there wouldn't have been more draw to making sure you buy direct if these restrictions were in place prior to BLT opening and your choices being just BWV, BCV, AKV, SSR, OKW? I think its night and day between now and then.

Except here is the thing its all added up to the point that MK and Epcot have all room categories and prime locations covered.

As you can see every location except Copper Creek is a prime location to MK. Why does AKV command such a lower price when it is pretty much universally looked at as the best overall resort (and crowned such on a recent DVC show if I remember correctly) and has a fairly cheap point chart? Location

Think I am crazy and negative for stating a fairly obvious issue that there are 0 deluxe resorts left without DVC attached and 0 plans currently public to build a stand-alone DVC in a prime location next to Epcot or MK.

You don't think there wouldn't have been more draw to making sure you buy direct if these restrictions were in place prior to BLT opening and your choices being just BWV, BCV, AKV, SSR, OKW? I think its night and day between now and then.

All I will comment is sales are strong for RIV so it Is appealing to a lot of people.

RiVs location is a a good one and will compete against BCV and BWV for many members, People will decide its worth the extra cost to stay there , and from things I am reading, not just here, that is happening.

This thread is about resales and If people want to own at L14 because they offer what they want, they definitely have a way to achieve that.

I’m a resale buyer that is unable to book at Riviera (missed it by a couple of weeks). I admit I do suffer a little bit of FOMO as Riviera looks quite appealing. But only a little because 1/ being told I can’t use my points at resorts that don’t exist yet doesn’t really bother me, and 2/ I can always rent points to stay at RIV.

Or (gasp!) I can pay cash for a Riviera stay ;)

I’m a resale buyer that is unable to book at Riviera (missed it by a couple of weeks). I admit I do suffer a little bit of FOMO as Riviera looks quite appealing. But only a little because 1/ being told I can’t use my points at resorts that don’t exist yet doesn’t really bother me, and 2/ I can always rent points to stay at RIV.

Or (gasp!) I can pay cash for a Riviera stay ;)

Or, after you rent or pay cash, you may decide to jump into buying!🤣🤣

You obviously have strong feelings against Riviera. And you’re entitled to that opinion. The problem comes when you attempt to project those feelings upon others, and use this as the only support for your hypothesis.

As I illustrated, every DVC resort has been met with some form of criticism. People still bought the points and demand for each location is strong. The same is true for Riviera.

Affection for one resort over another is not a topic that can be fully analyzed with spreadsheets, especially when personal bias is allowed to taint the conclusions. You don’t get to decide that being a monorail ride away from the Magic Kingdom and Epcot is universally good, while an 8-minute Skyliner trip to Epcot and Hollywood Studios is universally meaningless. Or how the theme / view / dining / recreation compares to every other resort.

People are buying Riviera. People like Riviera. If you assume that everyone shares your opinion on the value of buying points, cost of the rooms and quality of accommodations, you will be wrong. New locations add appeal to the entire program and draw demand from other locations. Just enjoy the fact that people staying at Riviera aren’t booking rooms at a location you apparently prefer.

Last edited:
Why does AKV command such a lower price when it is pretty much universally looked at as the best overall resort (and crowned such on a recent DVC show if I remember correctly) and has a fairly cheap point chart? Location

Here here! Except, (shush!) Location is much more of a mental barrier than a real, actual problem. Actual Travel Times to and from Animal Kingdom compare very favorably to other resorts. Of course, AKL Lodges are my favorite, and I say that as a person who also owns BLT and Poly.

Two annoying things I will say about the skyliner, having just used it:

1. If going to Hollywood Studios from Riv, you need to first get off and back on at Caribbean beach... Which was quite crowded and is clearly the main hub for the whole thing

2. If going to Epcot from Riv, which is direct and probably the main appeal of the whole thing, you're getting on vehicles already loaded at Caribbean beach. This made us wait for awhile since most were full and we had a stroller (trying to get back from dinner in the evening, so admittedly a crowded time)

The lower resale price indicates that the majority of people don’t share the view AKV is one of the more popular resorts.

The lower resale price indicates that the majority of people don’t share the view AKV is one of the more popular resorts.

Well we can only speculate on the price of it if it were to be located where Poly is now. I think most people would guess something quite high (although tough to picture a bunch of giraffes walking around near the entrance to MK)

I happen to share the view that it's the most impressive resort, if considered apart from its location

Last edited:

1. If going to Hollywood Studios from Riv, you need to first get off and back on at Caribbean beach... Which was quite crowded and is clearly the main hub for the whole thing

2. If going to Epcot from Riv, which is direct and probably the main appeal of the whole thing, you're getting on vehicles already loaded at Caribbean beach. This made us wait for awhile since most were full and we had a stroller (trying to get back from dinner in the evening, so admittedly a crowded time)

Have you ever transferred from the resort monorail to the Epcot monorail at TTC when it's busy?

Have you ever waited for the resort monorail to pull up only to find it completely full and then you have to wait for the second one?

Disney transportation is not perfect that's for sure but if they had a boat to everywhere that would be my choice of transportation.

Have you ever transferred from the resort monorail to the Epcot monorail at TTC when it's busy?

Have you ever waited for the resort monorail to pull up only to find it completely full and then you have to wait for the second one?

Disney transportation is not perfect that's for sure but if they had a boat to everywhere that would be my choice of transportation.

Agreed, transportation is imperfect everywhere. It seems however less imperfect at CB than at Riv

When I was there in October, and the Skyliner was down...right after the accident...I asked about the plan for cars coming for CBR to RIV and if RIV guests would be waiting longer during busy times because cars were full. What I was told then, was that they would be sending every other car or two empty, depending at the crowds at each station.

When I visited the resort in December, the same thing as what you experienced was happening, but there were only about 4 or 5 of us in line...a group of 2 ahead of me, me, and a group of 2 behind me. Within about 3 or 4 minutes, when the cars were too full for us, and the line behind us had grown, they radioed to start sending cars empty. The CM then told me that if RIV gets crowded, they radio to have two cars sent empty.

Disappointing that this was not your experience. I'll be there in March and we shall see. If it happens, I will certainly ask about it again. IMO, the CM should have immediately asked for an empty car for you as soon as they saw the stroller.

When I was there in October, and the Skyliner was down...right after the accident...I asked about the plan for cars coming for CBR to RIV and if RIV guests would be waiting longer during busy times because cars were full. What I was told then, was that they would be sending every other car or two empty, depending at the crowds at each station.

When I visited the resort in December, the same thing as what you experienced was happening, but there were only about 4 or 5 of us in line...a group of 2 ahead of me, me, and a group of 2 behind me. Within about 3 or 4 minutes, when the cars were too full for us, and the line behind us had grown, they radioed to start sending cars empty. The CM then told me that if RIV gets crowded, they radio to have two cars sent empty.

Disappointing that this was not your experience. I'll be there in March and we shall see. If it happens, I will certainly ask about it again. IMO, the CM should have immediately asked for an empty car for you as soon as they saw the stroller.

Ah i see, so there is a thought-out approach to dealing with it. In truth it was really brief and barely affected us, and, come to think of it, the one we eventually boarded was empty (and somehow the cast member knew that it would be).

Moreso this was just my hypothesizing re: whether it could become a greater issue (i.e. at a different time of year, during food and wine, etc)

You would think that they would have walkie talkies or phones or something between Riviera and Caribbean Beach so the Riviera people could say, "Hey we need more empty gondolas!" Also, were the gondolas FULL? Was there room to squeeze another 2 or 3 people on them? They are supposed to hold up to 10 people.

Well we can only speculate on the price of it if it were to be located where Poly is now. I think most people would guess something quite high (although tough to picture a bunch of giraffes walking around near the entrance to MK)

I happen to share the view that it's the most impressive resort, if considered apart from its location

The BIGGEST negative is the perception that AKL is just too far out there. I agree that if it was built where Poly is now, it would likely be among he very most popular resorts.

But, anyway, the perception is wrong.

You might take a look at this thread: https://www.disboards.com/threads/list-of-travel-times-from-resorts-to-parks.3707781/

You would think that they would have walkie talkies or phones or something between Riviera and Caribbean Beach so the Riviera people could say, "Hey we need more empty gondolas!" Also, were the gondolas FULL? Was there room to squeeze another 2 or 3 people on them? They are supposed to hold up to 10 people.

They do and they radio to them to send empty ones...sounds like they wait wasn’t too long and an empty car came. Like I posted, they radioed when I was there and the line at RIV began to grow to 10 to 12 people.

They do and they radio to them to send empty ones...sounds like they wait wasn’t too long and an empty car came. Like I posted, they radioed when I was there and the line at RIV began to grow to 10 to 12 people.
But the time from CB to Riviera is 8 mins. If they have to wait to radio until you are there, and then you have to wait, the wait will be at least 8 mins.

Re Animal Kingdom- it’s a huge resort and demand and supply on the resale market also affects prices. I don’t think AKL is too far from the parks but total lack of walking areas makes it feel too cut off for me and my wife. Building a nice path or trail would sort that for us.
As to the gondolas, we didn’t find them crowded at Xmas and rode a lot. Only twice did my family of 4 have to share a gondola as it was getting a bit busy. I was stuck on one at Epcot line for 15 mins. I was told a mistake had been made loading a scooter one on at Riv, and the ‘sensors are very sensitive’ and this caused the whole line to be shift down whilst everything was chacked. My wife had forgotten something at Beach Club, and had gone back for it and walked, and she beat us to HWS that day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter