Have ShopDisney's Christmas sales been disappointing?

DodgerGirl

Crazy For The Mandalorian
I've noticed that ShopDisney's Christmas sales have been disappointing at least for this year and I want to know if you've noticed it? Because I noticed that ShopDisney isn't really having that big of sales for Christmas. And if you look at ShopDisney's holiday section the Christmas stuff really isn't on sale and some of the Christmas items are just too pricey in my eyes? Take for example ShopDisney has a Nui-MO's advent calendar that retails for $89,99 and I cannot see what makes this advent calendar worth $89 and it is shocking to me. In their Holiday toys they have the Holiday Tiana doll for $42 but the biggest item there are Disney Princess doll sets for $70 and the only toys that seem to be sellers for this year is their holiday plushies because ShopDisney has loads of the plush Christmas Mickey and Minnie set as well as Holiday Stitch plushies and Holiday Darth Vader plushies and I can tell these items will be the first to go after Christmas on clearance. In the Christmas ornaments section of ShopDisney I see the new ornaments and the only ones that people actually are buying are the Marvel ornaments and the ornaments with the princesses and The Fab Five are rarely on sale and I saw a lot of Disneyland/Walt Disney World 2023 ornaments but they are still pricey even with the release of the 2024 versions just released. Did ShopDisney not buy enough holiday merchandise to sell this year or was this year slow for ShopDisney?

I got the Xmas Tiana for like 20$ in a sale. So no, not disappointing. All ornaments were also 9$ on a sale. So again, not disappointing at all. You just need to be checking often.

I think, in general, the online market has just been disappointing this season -- sitewide discounts no longer going beyond 20-25% for many retailers, retailers swapping % off discounts for free shipping or gift with purchase promotions, % off sitewide promotions being swapped with % off select categories only or tiered % off offers instead. Not just ShopDisney: brutal for most ecomm retailers sadly :(

Why I think ShopDisney's Christmas sales were disappointing was because I think people waited for Black Friday when Thanksgiving sales were just starting and they wanted to buy Christmas gifts early because the closer it got to Christmas people were afraid that the items would be out of stock and not be shipped in time for Christmas. Because every year when Black Friday hits after Thanksgiving that's when people do the most shopping for Christmas. But in ShopDisney's case they could've done better sales this year

What I also think played a factor in why ShopDisney had disappointing Christmas sales was because as I mentioned in my previous post in this thread as soon as Thanksgiving was starting and by the time Black Friday had rolled around people already knew what merchandise they were set on buying. Because I think the biggest selling items were toys and I was just at ShopDisney yesterday and they had sales on plushies and deals on dolls but I think people brought mostly the plushies because the only dolls that they had deals on were the princess doll sets and it's seems that they are the hottest selling items of ShopDisney's toy section. But in the holiday section the ornaments have been put back on regular price and the only Christmas stuff ShopDisney has on clearance are tree skirts and home decor. So I can predict before Valentine's Day ShopDisney will have a big Christmas clearance sale

If they aren't having to do much discounting it means that ShopDisney sales are not disappointing at all.

Retailers don't want to discount merchandise to sell it. Better strategies are to produce less merchandise to keep the prices firm.

In the past, retailers overproduced too much stuff, then were stuck with huge inventories they had to dump with big sales.

Also, because of all the publicity for "Black Friday," retailers now start "Black Friday" in August and finding true deals becomes much harder -- which is what they want.

My guess is they anticipated slower sales this year, as a lot of retailers anticipated a bad holiday season.

There probably isn't that much merchandise left. Though, I have to say, compared to last year, we just didn't find too many of the offerings compelling, but maybe others did.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter