Have you ever been locked out of your home?

reecejackox

DIS Veteran
I have , when I was about 10 , my parents hadn't came back yet and my brother wasn't back from school yet and so I was waiting about 15 minutes to get in.

Nope. My wife was a couple of months ago. She couldn't find the hidden spare key. I got home found her reading her book on the back porch, walked over to the spare key and handed it her. It was right where it always has been.

Yes, about five or six years ago. My sister had dropped me off and was waiting for me to go into the house before pulling away, and when I fished around in my purse I couldn't find my house key. Aaaaand I had to go to the bathroom so badly I was fidgeting. She parked the car and stayed with me because it was nighttime and nobody was home. We have a screened in room attached to the garage and we sat in there. I was practically crying because I had to gooooooooo. It was about an hour before someone came home.

The next week I had a key made for my sister to keep in her car, because she's the only person I really go anywhere with who doesn't also live at the house.

Once, many years ago. Late at night; had to go stay at a friend until the next morning & the super let me back in. Since then, my local pub & 3 local friends all have copies of my keys & I have theirs. In the past 3 months, 2 out of the 3 friends have come to get keys from me because they were locked out.

Many times. Once when I was a kid my friends and I broke in through a window left ajar, but in forcing it open further we cracked it. Of course my parents noticed the crack but couldn't figure out what happened, and I never fessed up until I was grown and moved out 😂

YES! and I wish to go on record here that it's my husband's fault. We changed out our entrance door, and went from one dead bolt lock to dual locks. No, I. Don't. Know. Why.

My dear husband at first was questioning why this was such an issue for me, until the day(s) he locked himself out when it was darn cold and I stood on the other side of it looking out the window at him with my hands raised!:confused3

We only lock the secondary lock at night now... ;)

YES! and I wish to go on record here that it's my husband's fault. We changed out our entrance door, and went from one dead bolt lock to dual locks. No, I. Don't. Know. Why.

My dear husband at first was questioning why this was such an issue for me, until the day(s) he locked himself out when it was darn cold and I stood on the other side of it looking out the window at him with my hands raised!:confused3

We only lock the secondary lock at night now... ;)
This made laugh!
yes we’ve been locked out- when we first moved to this house, before we got the keypad for garage door opener and we realized we didn’t have the car garage opener nor had either of us grabbed a key (in defense we were in process of moving in and things were chaotic). However the idiot installing the double doors to John Deere room had installed them with hinges facing OUT. DH grabbed tools from car, pulled the pins out of hinges and took doors off. Needless to say we corrected that hinge on wrong side situation pretty quick!

The night before I got married, I was still living at my parents and My BFF, older sister and I headed home after we stopped at a bar after the rehearsal dinner and were locked out. My parents were at friends and my lil sister never puts the key back. No cell phones 1989. We had to go to the bar my soon to be DH was at to get a key.

Kae

Yes funny thing - the dog did it!! He pushed the door shut we I stepped outside to grab something and I forgot the garage code - no phone on me either ! Had to go to the neighbors to call DH - wait for him to call me back (45 mins ) then get garage code !! Silly me !!

We have a coded garage door and also a key hidden just in case in our front yard. However, I got locked in my back yard a few months ago! DH went inside to take a shower and inadvertently locked the door as he went in. I was in the back yard, which has a 6 ft fence with two gates that are padlocked. I couldn't even get out of the fence to get in through our coded garage door in the front yard because I would have needed a ladder and they were, of course, in the garage. Fortunately I knew my husband would eventually get out of the shower, put his hearing aids in, and come to get me. However, I was pretty irritated at him! He is the one who insists on padlocking the back gates. If he had left the house I could have been stuck there for many hours and I REALLY had to go to the bathroom! (I've got a key hidden in back now too, much to my husband's dismay. He does not want ANY hidden keys, and he also bolts the garage door most of the time so I can't get in through the keypad. It's a constant war between us - and was even when the kids were still home and getting locked out.)

My husband insists no one should ever get locked out.... of course I remind him of the time he locked himself out of his vehicle and what a fiasco that was....

Last edited:
Yep. New home, autolocking doors -- I was doing some chore and the door closed behind me but thankfully I had my phone on me. At the time we hadn't set up a spare key outside so I had to call a locksmith to let me in. We immediately got a spare key to hide and turned off the autolock feature on one of the doors.

Before I retired (2 mos ago), I kept a spare set of keys in my desk at our local PD. I had to use them a couple of times and once,youngest DS had to use them when I was on vacation.

TC :cool1:

My (at that time) 3 year old locked me out!

I went outside to get the mail. She shut the door, locked it, and I guess ran off to play because I tried to talk to her through the door but she wouldn't respond.

Fortunately my husband was home.

Unfortunately he was working night shift at the time and was asleep, so when I went to our bedroom door and knocked on it loud enough to wake him up I about scared him to death.

I will say that my son and DIL were smart. They got locked out once. They now have combination locks on all the exterior doors.

When my son was about 18 months old I had a phone call from a relative who had done some work for us, he was looking for something he left behind in the garage. I went out there with the phone, door shuts behind me. Cue the curious toddler trying to find mommy. He managed to turn the lock on the deadbolt, locking me into the garage. Our front door is also kept locked. Thankfully I had the phone with me still so I quickly called both my parents and my husband who was at work, both about 45 minutes away. We walked in and he was just playing his train tracks happy as could be lol. We put a key in the garage that night!

A few times as an adult. Apartment living is good, in that eventually maintenance will come unlock the door. Except last time, they couldn't find my backup key, and for some reason the master key wouldn't work. They had to replace the entire assembly. Now we have new doors that have to be actively locked.

As a kid, many times. My dad said they had so many kids so that there would always be somebody small enough to crawl in the bathroom window.

Yes, about five or six years ago. My sister had dropped me off and was waiting for me to go into the house before pulling away, and when I fished around in my purse I couldn't find my house key. Aaaaand I had to go to the bathroom so badly I was fidgeting. She parked the car and stayed with me because it was nighttime and nobody was home. We have a screened in room attached to the garage and we sat in there. I was practically crying because I had to gooooooooo. It was about an hour before someone came home.

The next week I had a key made for my sister to keep in her car, because she's the only person I really go anywhere with who doesn't also live at the house.

don’t be shy you have to go you have to go.

A few times as an adult. Apartment living is good, in that eventually maintenance will come unlock the door. Except last time, they couldn't find my backup key, and for some reason the master key wouldn't work. They had to replace the entire assembly. Now we have new doors that have to be actively locked.

As a kid, many times. My dad said they had so many kids so that there would always be somebody small enough to crawl in the bathroom window.

Your dad was right! :rotfl:Btw, love your Username!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter