Have you ever been locked out of your home?

A couple times! The first was our old house on the morning of our rehearsal dinner. I went the throw something away in the garage and th door closed behind me. It was April so not too cold but cold enough and I had to run across the road barefoot (happen to see a neighbor pulling into their driveway down the way as this was before i knew anyone since I was just moving in) was able to get in touch with FIL to bring the spare keys. Ive done it a couple times at the now house running out and not realizing I forgot my keys until too late but luckily we live next to in-laws so I could just get the spare. We now have the combination keypad on one door so I’ll never get locked out again lol

Yes, 40 years ago DS (18 months) locked me out. I went out to the backyard and he locked on the latch on the sliding door. Could not get him to unlock it. He really didn't know how. I tried for awhile and then went to the neighbors and he came and broke the front door open (the frame).
And so, every since then we have had a hidden key in the back yard.

A few times, if we're counting childhood.

When I was about 10, my sisters and I got home from school and my mom wasn't home (like she normally would be). It was winter and cold. We made the youngest sister shimmy in through the small dog door to let us in.

When I was in my early 20s and 7 months pregnant with DS. It was about ten at night, and I managed to lock myself out with my two-year-old daughter. Lucky for me, we were building a detach garage at the time and I remembered that we had an extension cord through the basement window. So, I put my daughter in her carseat and strapped her in; shimmied down into the window well and through the window, down onto the deep freezer to get in the house. (It would have been a lot harder if the freezer hadn't been there since I couldn't exactly slide in on my belly to reach the floor.)

Just a couple months ago. We're used to going into the garage to get in the house so we don't always carry a house key. Never really considered what happens when you can't get the garage door to open. :( Eventually, we broke into the garage door to get in the house. And lesson learned, we don't go out without a house key anymore. lol

I installed electronic locks on both of my main doors. I can unlock them with a code, from an app, or with a key.

Once I had 2 sets of keys, mine and my husband's car keys. I had his car keys, but forgot my house keys. I also didn't have my phone. I had to use voice calling to try and get my car to call my husband's phone. He still couldn't come home for another couple of hours.
This one time it was my MIL. She baby-sat my oldest while I went to an appt. She took my son to lunch, then came back to my house. I forgot to give her a key. She crawled through the doggie door to get into the house! Thankfully my dog adored her, so she didn't freak out.

I was still in school but it was Summertime, coming back from a concert late at night. The outer door was locked, I didn't have a key to that one. Thankfully wasn't out there the whole night.

Yes, twice. Once was just forgetting to take keys, last one left, locked all doors. It would have been Days...hubby broke in.. which was good and bad, good cause we got in. Bad because it was Eye opening, his shove literally blew that door and the inside wood trim.
We replaced door and lock
Last time, new house. Power lost, no key as I typically entered thru garage, but no way to get garage door opened. had to wait till power restored, luckily just a few hours.
Lesson learned, put house key on chain.

yep, twice. once as a child at our house up north and once at our current home down south. The second time, my parents literally walked past me on the way to the car, said they were going to dinner, and left. I went to go back inside to find the door locked. :eek:

Getting ready to leave for a Disney Trip and I was checking to make sure we had everything. Okay, so we get in the car and start to pull out and I realize that I don't have my purse which has my keys and the only house key on it. (My husband was taking only his car key). We found the the kitchen window could be opened because we had not completely locked it. I was able to get in and get my purse & keys. I also realized when we got to Disney that I left my pj's at home.

I have been locked out of my car more times than my house. But my granddaughter locked us out of my bedroom and we didn't have a key or anything to open it. Couldn't get in through the windows, but finally after A LOT of work, we got it open with an old credit card. We had to bend it just the right way to get it to shift the latch.

Yes, once. Kids were young, husband was at work until midnight.

I had the car keys though, so the kids and I went to the library until they closed, then Walmart until they closed and then we went to McDonald's and then came back and slept in the driveway until husband returned from work. Long night lol.

Back in the summer of 2014 when we first moved into this house. It had just been remodeled, and I forgot that the new doors had double locks, one on the knob and one deadbolt. I went out through the garage to get the mail, obviously leaving the deadbolt unlocked but forgetting to check the knob. I didn't have my phone on me, so I only had ONE way of getting back into the house. Pulled a lawn chair out, and quickly learned that the front windows (which were thankfully open) were slightly lower than the back. Managed to get one of the dining room window screens up, got up on the chair, and still had to lift one leg up to waist-height just to get my foot over the sill. As I basically fell into the dining room through the window, one of our cats came into the room and stopped dead, stared at me, clearly very confused. Not only do I know check the entire door to make sure that it's unlocked when I step outside, we also immediately made a spare key to keep hidden in the garage.

My kid has locked me out a few times as well, but we have the key out there now...as well as the threat of never being allowed to watch Spongebob Squarepants again if he doesn't unlock the door.

Back when I was younger. We got sent home from school early because power was out at the school. Well, power was out at my parents' house, too. So, I couldn't get in by the electric garage door. Not sure why my parents never bothered giving me a key to a real door...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter