Have you ever changed your vacation destination at the last minute?

Over 30 years ago exH and I drove to Myrtle Beach for an extended five day Labor Day weekend. It rained heavily all day the first day, and the forecast was the same for the next few days. We checked out the next morning and drove back north to Virginia, stayed in the outskirts of Richmond, and went to Busch Gardens, Kings Dominion, and Virginia Beach as "day trips" before heading home.

Only once. We were supposed to fly to WDW Sept. 12th 2001. Approx. 10:30 on the morning of the 11th my husband was on the phone cancelling everything. We ended up driving to Hershey Park Friday the 14th (my husband's birthday) because he wanted to do something with his time off. Everyone was kind of in a daze.

Edited to add: He wasn't being callous - just wanted to get away from it a little - away from the 24 hour news coverage, etc..

Last edited:
October 2016 we had Disney HIlton Head booked with our youngest two kids and had to switch locations a few days before because they closed the island.

We ended up renting a house last minute on the Lake Michigan shore and had all four kids, our older two son’s girlfriends and my mom and stepdad. It turned out to be a great trip even if it wasn’t what we had originally planned. But unpacking from South Carolina in October and repacking for Michigan in October was a tad depressing. I was taking our shorts and T-shirts and packing sweaters and gloves.

Yes only once and it was due to work several years back.

no, just decided what was planned for when I get there would be changed

Yes, we were suppose to go to Germany with our son who was going with his soccer team. We had a place to stay, but ticket prices for flying were way out of budget for us. Our son left and we drove out to South Dakota and Rocky Mountains National Park.

Twice, three times if you count visiting FIL as a “vacation.”

We were all packed up and ready to drive to Idaho when our water heater went out and flooded the garage. We were young and poor back then so the choice was go see FIL or get it fixed. He insisted we come anyway but declined to help us get there so we stayed home.

About 16-17 years ago we were supposed to go to Hawaii to stand up for BFF and her fiancé. We decided while we were there to renew our wedding vows. I had cakes, flowers, someone to perform the ceremonies, photos, rooms etc. all set up. We bought dresses for us and khakis for the guys. DH and I ordered new wedding bands. All that was left was booking the flight. Then she backed out saying they couldn’t afford it. Fortunately back then it wasn’t a big deal to cancel things. I often wonder why DH and I didn’t just go anyway. I think I thought we’d all go eventually. Never happened and the backing out/making promises thing became a pattern that eventually tanked our friendship.

Seven years ago we had plans to go to San Diego when my dad ended up in the hospital. I just didn’t feel comfortable leaving the state with him being so sick so we did a staycation and did all the touristy Vegas things. It was exhausting, I don’t know how you people vacation here! :rotfl2: That one did cost me some money to cancel but I would do it again. My kids still talk about that “vacation.” For the longest time they thought The Strip was another city.

We went to Ocean City, didn't care for it, left, and ended up going to Rehoboth Beach, Washington DC, and Hershey. We went to Atlanta for Spring Break this year and stopped in Charlotte, to go to Carowinds, on the way back. Ex-husband called & asked if we wanted to meet him in Pigeon Forge so we drove there and spent a few days.

Yes. Last year we were going to WDW for a few days and then Cocoa Beach for a few. Cancelled when the hurricane was going to hit. Went to Virginia and West Virginia for a few days instead. It was disappointing but we still had a good time.

...Seven years ago we had plans to go to San Diego when my dad ended up in the hospital. I just didn’t feel comfortable leaving the state with him being so sick so we did a staycation and did all the touristy Vegas things. It was exhausting, I don’t know how you people vacation here! :rotfl2: That one did cost me some money to cancel but I would do it again. My kids still talk about that “vacation.” For the longest time they thought The Strip was another city.

That is such a tough one... :flower3: I'm glad you made a choice that put you at peace. We've got a very dear friend near the end of life right now and if he passes away the funeral will likely be scheduled for when we are out of town on an upcoming vacation (Sept. 9 - 16).

It's the first time in many years we haven't insured the trip because none of our immediate family is in ill-health and our DS is old enough to be independent. This situation came completely out of the blue and is complicated by the fact he is in Europe receiving last-hope treatment at a private clinic. We are not able to be by his bedside nor is there anything we can actually do for anybody by being here. We're really, really struggling over what to do. :sad1:

My father moved to Venice, Florida after my mother passed away. He was too ill to fly to Connecticut for our wedding, so we honeymooned in Boca Raton, Florida, and spent a few days with him in Venice so he could meet my husband.

Five years later, I had my daughter. When she was 4 months old, we planned to bring her to Florida to meet her grandfather. Unfortunately he passed away a few weeks before our trip. We went to Cape Cod, Massachusetts instead where my family had spent every summer until my mother died. I felt so close to him there and was flooded by memories. It helped me grieve.

Two years ago....it was not our choice but we had the time off already and decided to go with it. We were booked for an 8 day Disney cruise from NY to Bahamas but a hurricane (I think Matthew) came up the coast and thwarted our plans to go South. DCL gave people the option to stay onboard with the new Canadian itinerary or cancel. We had 24 hours to decide. We opted to go North with DCL. WE had to repack our clothes but still had a good time with friends onboard.

MJ

That is such a tough one... :flower3: I'm glad you made a choice that put you at peace. We've got a very dear friend near the end of life right now and if he passes away the funeral will likely be scheduled for when we are out of town on an upcoming vacation (Sept. 9 - 16).

It's the first time in many years we haven't insured the trip because none of our immediate family is in ill-health and our DS is old enough to be independent. This situation came completely out of the blue and is complicated by the fact he is in Europe receiving last-hope treatment at a private clinic. We are not able to be by his bedside nor is there anything we can actually do for anybody by being here. We're really, really struggling over what to do. :sad1:
It can be a hard call and sometimes there really isn’t much you can do. Several years ago my stepmother’s mother ended up in the hospital and was refusing treatment as well as food and water. We had DD’s “sweet 16” trip with her best friend to Disneyland already pre paid. It would have cost me at least a $1,000 to cancel. I was not close to her, in fact didn’t really like her much but I wanted to be there for my stepmother. I was SO torn. After a very lengthy conversation with my stepbrother he told me to go. She passed before we left but the service was while we were away. My stepmother truly understood and from what she told me later never really expected me to go to the service.

Anyway, you have to go with what you’re comfortable with. My dad is chronically ill and I’ve come to realize I can’t lead my life as if something is going to happen. It’s exausting and not good for me or him. We just take it one day at a time and make big decisions where needed.

A friend and I decided to drive to Virginia, somehow ended up in New Jersey. Please note this was way before GPS.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!