Have You Ever Invited Friends...

I took a friend last December and routinely take family along. The trick for me is to know how it is to bunk with these folks and commit myself to my plans regardless of who goes along.

Some folks I just can't stand to share a room with (my brother and sister-in-law namely). Our personalities clash to an extent we're better off with separate rooms and small doses of each other. But there are others who I feel comfortable hanging out in my PJs with.

Best thing to do while you're finding out if it works is to plan a small overlapping trip and give yourself days afterward to decompress. I loved having my friend join us, but he was a first timer so we were in commando mode the entire time. When he left, I was finally able to sit back and relax. Next time won't be as bad because he has seen it all once.

We almost always share our Disney trips with friends or family. We have been members since '94 and have added points twice so we can share with friends and family. As a matter of fact, I don't think we have ever had less than a 2Br on any of our trips. I'll say that we are an older couple with out children so the friends that go with us are usually empty nesters so we do not have to contend with children and children's conflicts.

On a number of occasions we have had more than one other couple travel with us and for those trips we have had Grand Villas at both OKW and our newest home SSR. Once, I took my four brothers to HHI and to make 2 golf 4 somes, I asked 3 buddies to go. For that trip I got 2 2BR units at HHI.

On two occasions, people that we invided to come along with us ended up buying their own points.

In all of the times we have had friends or family go with us, we have only had one couple bail on us. Fortunately, another couple filled in at the last minute.

In October, my wife and 3 of her friends are going to stay at OKW for 5 days for parks, golf and food. Then, I arrive with 2 other couples and we move to an OKW GV.

It is great to share WDW and DVC with others.

We too, usually book studios for our family and friends. We're the sort of couple who value our "alone" time. However, we go with DS, DDiL and their family in a 2 bedroom. We live so far from them, that every moment counts and it's been worth giving up the "alone" to be with them. They feel the same, we're doing it again! As the 3 DGC get older, then we'll give them their own 2 bedroom, or try for a GV. (Will need more AKV points, shhh!)

Bobbi:goodvibes

I've done it with both friends and family, sometimes it's fabulous, other times I thank God for patience. This is the first trip I'm a little nervous about. I know that mom, sis, MIL and I vacation well together. I know that DH and I vacation well together. We've now thrown in the X-factor of my father and my BIL. We got my parents their own studio because we know he can be cranky if kept up late. We've carved up the 2 BDR for the rest of us so we each have our own place to hide when downtime is required.

we had friends that came with us years ago, liked it so much they bought points. we have been vacationing with them for years and now we share points on a two bedroom. we have two girls they have one boy. It has always worked out great for us. we also do cruising together...but we always respect the others right to do something on their own...but we have always had a blast. with family not always so much.

Never taken anyone to DVC but went with friends to AKL a few years ago for a weekend trip and didn't work out so well.

Both wives were pregnant and I guess I underestimated how much TLC my Friend's wife needed. She was very concerned about the impact of riding scary rides, eating different foods etc. We even sent the ladies to the Spa but she hated it since it wasn't her regular Spa and was not sure about the products.l

O day she insisted on wearing flip-flops sandles to the park...against my recommendation, 2 hours later we had to go back to the resort to get her better foot wear.

My DW is really easy going even at 5 months preg and got a little tired of "babysitting" her friend.

Looking back it might have been the pregnancy issue more than anything else but we did learn if we go again with another family to agree on what we want to do together and also spend some time alone as well.

We want to go with family but are worried about the whole coodination aspect with BIL and SIL. Hoping they will just let us take Neice and Nephew.

We invite friends and family to come along once every year. We never make it for our entire trip though, and we always have at least one trip just for us alone in there too. It's one of the "perks" of owning DVC. We really enjoy offering free accommodations to friends who will come and vacation with us. We usually have a 2 bedroom for 5 nights when our "friends or family" is invited, and then we go down to a 1 bedroom for the two of us for another 5 nights so we can go at our own pace for the end of the trip.

We do this all the time as well. We've probably had a dozen different sets of friends join us over the years. Each trip has been great!

I'm stunned that folks have such poor relationships with their friends and family that they can't enjoy a vacation together!

We get a 2 bedroom at OKW for 5 nights, and invite friends for two nights or so. On the nights it's just the three of us, we spread out. It's great for mom and dad to have their very own room! That's what I call a vacation.

I don't make any distinction between paying for their room booked via CRO or allowing them to use a DVC villa. In this manner, I think costs for DVC are more hidden since it's not pay as you go as with CRO. Regardless, we're not in a position to be writing checks for people.

Having said that, if my parents we're looking to go, we'd do it. Heaven knows I owe them for everything.

We usually also bring family or friends. On many occasions it is just DH, I and another couple. Even if they are good friends we book separate one bedrooms. It makes for a more relaxing vacation when there is down time. Our family trips have been multiple 2 bedroom lock-offs with each family having its own space. In November one of our rooms will be a GV. In that case we are putting 3 siblings and their spouses and kids together. They can deal with each other--but the kids will enjoy time together.
If you are flying, a tip that I would offer to discourage anyone bailing out is to book air tickets as soon as possible. Once the visitors have paid for airfare they are less likely to cancel except in the case of a real emergency. For our large family trips I always feel that things are pretty well set once those air tickets are purchased. Just got our today for next November. Can't wait!

We've also traveled more with friends/family than not. Our kids are young, as are those we travel with, so for us, a two bedroom works better than studios. We give each set of parents 18 hours off from parent duty and the other set takes all the kids. This means from breakfast until whenever the parents want to return "home." This would never work if we were in separate rooms. We buy all the kids matching brightly colored shirts and then head to a quieter park like AK or to the pool for a down day. We have so much fun letting people think we have bunches of kids all under the age of 7:rotfl:.

It is amazing how the kids get along better when there are non-sibs involved and the parents really appreciate the time off. In Jan 06, we had a two bedroom and actually had two sets of visitors come down to stay in the studio portion. One checked out the same day another checked in. The key was some loosely planned days ahead of time, which most non AP holders do anyway to figure out what types of passes they will need. We also had little duties that we broke down before we left, like one parent made a quick breakfast for everyone in the room, one parent threw a load of laundry in, one parent packed snacks for the day, etc. It made it a lot less crazy in the mornings.

One other key element is to make sure that either you parent similarily to the other parents or that you can stand the way they parent. We've decided that there are some friends we are friends with as a family and some friends we are friends with just as couples because we cannot stand the way they treat their kids or the way their kids behave. You do NOT want to be with kids that drive you nuts when you can't do anything about it. We actually did an overnight trial run with one family we weren't sure about before we invited them.

Finally, we ALWAYS make sure that at least the last two nights are for our family only. I am very up front about it and no matter how well things are going, I stick to my guns. It only seems fair to my kids that they don't always have to share and be on their best behavior for guests. If things do go south, we have a few days to create happy memories and forget those that weren't. That's never actually happened yet, but that's the plan anyway!

DH and I usually travel alone, no kids. We have gone on a cruise with DM and DF, which was great, everyone did their own thing and we did some things together. We each had our own room. We would vacation with them again, and probably will next year. We are going to DL for the first time with a friend and his daughter (not our first time, just first time with someone). We are all pretty laid back, so we should be fine. Although I am loosing the discussion (DH agrees with the friend) for a 6am flight:confused3 Why anyone would not want to get up at 4:30a to get to DL is beyond me. They (DH and friend) want to sleep in a little:eek: I say ... lazy bones!!! :rotfl: :lmao: I say I am going to DL get you butts MOVIN' :rotfl2: But I guess 10a flight isn't that bad (it is only a 4 hour flight anyway). :goodvibes

As others have said, be sure to choose wisely and make sure to leave some alone time for everyone in the "schedule."

We found the two bedroom lockoff really good when we went last October and invited two sets of friends. We got a studio as well. The living area was big enough for some lovely evenings.

We went for two weeks which is possibly a bit much to share for so long. My friend and I have been friends for nearly 30 years and luckily our husbands are now great friends too. The kids get on fine too. I want everyone to have a great time and if there are any arguments it always upsets me. I do need to learn that on a two week vacation there are bound to be some friction and just learn to go with the flow. Other than that I am sure we will do it again and again.

Susan

Thanks for all of the great replies! Your comments are very helpful, and I will let you know how it goes!!!:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter