Have you ever seen a medium? WHo would you like to contact?

I'm not one to say that there is nothing out there beyond the mortal world, i.e. spirits, etc. however I do not believe that anyone who had true insight into this and could even communicate with them would be shilling their services for carnival sideshows or 1-900 numbers. I think you'd have to like go climb a mountain in Tibet, enter a cave that contained another mountain, then climb that mountain to find someone who was that enlightened, and if there were such a person, money would not be a concern of theirs at all. I mean, it's totally fine to find a show like that amusing or whatever as long as you're not putting too much stock in it.

I'm not one to say that there is nothing out there beyond the mortal world, i.e. spirits, etc. however I do not believe that anyone who had true insight into this and could even communicate with them would be shilling their services for carnival sideshows or 1-900 numbers. I think you'd have to like go climb a mountain in Tibet, enter a cave that contained another mountain, then climb that mountain to find someone who was that enlightened, and if there were such a person, money would not be a concern of theirs at all. I mean, it's totally fine to find a show like that amusing or whatever as long as you're not putting too much stock in it.
While there certainly are people like that, many who have this gift have bills to pay like the rest of us, so it's natural for them to earn a living off of the marketable skills they have. Earning a living off it doesn't necessarily equate to being fraudulent though. (Saying that generally.) I believe that some of the better ones do it in part because they believe they are helping people, too.

Maureen Hancock was mentioned earlier in this thread. She is one who does a lot of community service work and also works with parents who've lost children, children in hospice, and police and the FBI - I believe often using her gifts for free to these groups. But yes, she also does things for which she earns money, like TV shows, books, and group readings. She's been forthcoming about being a regular mom, with a regular house, and I believe has been divorced - she likely cannot afford to use her gifts for solely altruistic reasons. She wrote a book called The Medium Next Door, if anyone is interested. (I actually have it on my shelf as I picked it up somewhere, maybe now I should finally read it, too!) https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10035061-the-medium-next-door

Oh, and one of my closest friends, who lost a child, was fortunate enough to get chosen by Maureen at a group reading, and what she was told brought her a tremendous amount of comfort.

Video of Maureen, where she explains a little bit about how she realized she had the ability to communicate with sprits.

Edited for grammar

Last edited:
If they are so good at predicting the future why aren't they winning the lotto or trading in the stock market.?
Because then they would be exposed for what they are. You know, when they flopped at it.

They have to prey on people that are willing to fall for their shtick.

I've never seen her on tv. Seeing her live, she throws out a random thing - "Who has the hurt hand?" and all over the audience of hundreds of people, hands are raised. Then she throws out more details until she narrows it down and decides who she's going to focus on. If that person disagrees with anything she says she plays it off, cracks a joke, etc. I think anyone who's observant and a can talk a good game could pull off the show I saw. I didn't have any expectations when I went, but I felt bad that so many people spend $40+ to see her and she only spoke with a few, and was vague at that. Maybe she's better in small group. I do believe there are people with psychic abilities, and I've encountered a couple. But from what I experienced that night, Caputo is not one of them in my opinion.

40.00? wow that is pretty cheap- we are charging 125.00

Because then they would be exposed for what they are. You know, when they flopped at it.

They have to prey on people that are willing to fall for their shtick.
Exactly. The people who fall for this are those who are desperate to get some sort of answer. These mediums prey on those people and you have to feel bad for them.

By the way, don't these so called "mediums" have a disclaimer that they are for entertainment purposes only.

40.00? wow that is pretty cheap- we are charging 125.00

It was a guess :). My friend bought the tickets and I bought dinner and drinks. But I hope she didn’t pay $125 for me!

ETA just googled it. The show in my town had prices from $40-90. Based on where we sat she must have paid around the middle of that range. The benefits of living in a crappy town- if any interesting shows come around it’s cheaper than the big cities.

Last edited:

Actually, scam artists are pretty easy to understand.

They want your money, and they will do pretty much anything to get it.

TBH, I do believe in souls and even in spirits. Most of it I haven't figured out yet. I do remain skeptical that there are mediums on this planet who can natter to them for cash. Still, can't help but not flat out dismiss.

TBH, I do believe in souls and even in spirits. Most of it I haven't figured out yet. I do remain skeptical that there are mediums on this planet who can natter to them for cash. Still, can't help but not flat out dismiss.
As do I, Domo. I actually understand a lot about it because I've studied it, and had a lot of my own experiences.

I think that if people want to continue to discuss it, they should. I'm game.

I wonder how many people prefer talking to a real psychist. I noticed that most people use various apps today.

I wonder how many people prefer talking to a real psychist. I noticed that most people use various apps today.
It's true. Some of my friends believe in astrology, tarot reading, etc. They really prefer using apps. However, some apps allow talking to psychic readers online. My wife uses the Free psychic Text application. She can chat with a medium at any time. I'm pretty skeptical about such things, but she says it helps her make decisions and understand what not to do to achieve her goals.

Last edited:
My friend dragged me along to a Theresa Caputo show. Does that count? I wasn't impressed. But if I could contact someone I'd probably just want to hear from my dad.
Theresa was at my job recently and was talking to my boss and his wife when seh stopped mid-sentence and turned around and looked at me and another woman (only two people there) and said "who's mother died"- it was mine recently- she went on to say some spot on things about her and then continued with "there was a child, very very close bond but not your son, but as close as one"-"he is talking about movies you took him to and yelling "home alone, home alone" (one of my godsons favorite movies that I took him to prior to him passing away)- she went on saying how he thanks me for all the places I took him to and trips I took him on (took him EVERYPLACE with me- his dad had passed away when he was a baby and his mom worked so I had him a lot and I was as close to him as any child of my own)- it was a very surreal experience.

Wow, now this was an old thread...I have never been to a medium or psychic and have little interest to. I don't believe in anything supernatural whatsoever. However, if I was going to talk to someone I think it would be fun to chat with Chaplin or maybe Bach (I do speak German...)

Same here. I didn't give any information. He knew people's names, which I'm not sure how he would know. Like I said earlier this was before the internet.

My mother was with me and she received messages from her mother. He knew that my grandmother's name was Helen. He didn't ask any question or give a bunch of names until he got to Helen. I don't know how he did it.

The craziest thing was both times we went to see him he told my mother that my grandmother said that Margaret was with her and Margaret wanted to thank my mother. My mother didn't know anyone named Margaret and told him that he told my mother to ask around maybe it was someone she forgot about. She didn't give it much thought. Twenty years after my mother died the daughter she gave up for adoption found me and my siblings. Her adoptive mother died when she was 12, her name was Margaret. I'm sure it was just some crazy coincidence. But I don't know why he picked that name out of the air both times.
Was this John Edward? Because to me, he is the real deal.

Theresa was at my job recently and was talking to my boss and his wife when seh stopped mid-sentence and turned around and looked at me and another woman (only two people there) and said "who's mother died"- it was mine recently- she went on to say some spot on things about her and then continued with "there was a child, very very close bond but not your son, but as close as one"-"he is talking about movies you took him to and yelling "home alone, home alone" (one of my godsons favorite movies that I took him to prior to him passing away)- she went on saying how he thanks me for all the places I took him to and trips I took him on (took him EVERYPLACE with me- his dad had passed away when he was a baby and his mom worked so I had him a lot and I was as close to him as any child of my own)- it was a very surreal experience.
How cool. I used to love to watch her show and wondered if the show accurately depicted her

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts