Have you ever seen this at a funeral?

Interesting zombie thread.
Donating at funerals, usually to a charity designated by the family, is commonplace in my corner of the world. We wrote thank you cards to those who donated and those who brought flowers following DMIL funeral.
But, I've donated to many funerals and rarely received a thank you card. I don't care one way or the other. I doubt too many people care about thank you cards.

Zombie thread, but as someone who has buried both my parents in under 4 years, those thank you notes (provided by the funeral home) were not fun. I have one sibling who lives 14 hours away, so all me. People don’t give checks here, but give food, Mass cards, flowers... Not everyone puts their address in the guest book. I wish there was a way to let others know I do not need a thank you note for my share of the edible arrangement I sent with friends.

I've never given money to a family at a funeral, but I have donated to the charity listed "in lieu of flowers". One of those we donated to about 7 years ago and every single year we get 2 letters from the charity asking us to donate again. It's not a particular passion of mine so I only gave money in honor of my aunt, they really are wasting a lot of money by not taking me off their mailing list.

On topic - I can't remember ever getting a thank you after a funeral.

For my parents funerals, I sent thank you notes for those who sent flowers, mass cards (not Catholic but still got a couple), sent food to the house or gave a donation. Didn't send for just sympathy cards or attending the viewing/service. I used the cards provided by the funeral home and wrote a sentence or two.

I did the same when my dad passed. I actually found writing the notes somewhat therapeutic. I had a good cry as I thought of my dad and the impact he had had on so many people.

I’m a fan of writing thank you notes in general but I never think about whether I get one. I certainly do not think they are necessary when you’re grieving. I wouldn’t use this green dot system though. Just write them or don’t depending on how you feel. The dots seem tacky and too much effort.

We received money when my parents died. We just donated it the Alzheimer's Association for my Dad and the Heart and Lung Associations for my Mom. I don't remember what we did for the thank yous for my dad, one or 2 of my sisters and I probably helped my mom with them, but all of my siblings got together for my mom's. We each took the people we knew or our places of employment then split the ones from her friends etc.The check that shocked all of us was from her doctor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter