Have you ever taken a self-defense class and/or have you ever had to defend yourself

Pea-n-Me

DIS Veteran
This is sort of a spin-off of the Natalee Holloway case thread.

Just wondering - have you ever been in a situation where you've had to defend yourself from physical attack? And if so, how did it go?

Also, has anyone taken self-defense and did you find it helpful?

* I am specifically talking about self-defense without weaponry, but if that is part of your defense mindset, that's fine, too, although asking that this not turn into a gun debate.

I haven't formally taken any self-defense classes no. DH is trained in self-defense as well as different military and law enforcement techniques. He's shown me a few basic things. Luckily I haven't had to ever defend myself from a physical attack either because I'm not sure I'd have the mindset, or memory to be able to use any of those techniques!

I think that self-defense probably starts with common sense about trying not to put ourselves in a bad situation to begin with, although admittedly, we can't always control every situation.

Does anyone remember seeing that detective who was on Oprah Winfrey's show many years ago saying what you should do if you found yourself in a bad situation? I always found that pretty helpful.

Two situations I can think of right now for myself that were a little hairy (no pun intended!):

When I was in junior high, a friend and I were near a park when a guy came up and exposed himself to us :earseek:classic trench coat and all. I don't think you ever saw two kids hop on bikes faster! And we rode as fast as we could probably a mile before we slowed down!

Another time, I was in college, with a friend, studying on an isolated beach. It was that time of year where it was one of the first warm days, so early in the season, probably late March. Nobody else was around as far as the eye could see. We took my German Shepherd along and had his long rope tied to the back of my Jeep. Out of nowhere we noticed a sketchy-looking guy coming up towards us. The dog was quietly watching him, too. My spidey sense was that he was up to no good. Anyway, when the guy got closer to us, the dog suddenly lunged at him, coming to the end of his rope and actually flipping up in the air, snarling. Fortunately he came close to, but didn't touch the guy. I had never seen my dog do that before, and was pretty taken aback. The guy said, "Whoa", put his arms up, looked around at our belongings, then walked away. I was never so glad to have had my dog with me as I was that day. I later learned that there were some homeless people living in the dunes on this beach.

Both were public places. I never went down to that beach again when nobody else was around.

I took Karate for a few years between like 2002-2005 or something like that, even got as far as blue belt. Then it got too expensive and I had to quit.

Fortunately, I have not (knock on wood) been in a situation where I've had to defend myself from physical attack. I can be a rather intimidating-looking specimen, which is ridiculous, because I wouldn't harm a fly.

I'm the only girl with 5 older brothers so I learned how to defend myself at a very early age. Yes, I've had to defend myself, more than once and came out on top (if you will pardon the pun) every single time. Two things my brother's taught me - don't think it's sissy to scream, yell your head off. The leg is longer than the arm and men are very fond of certain parts of their bodies. It will give you enough time to scream and run.

My first husband suggested I take self defense when I was like 24-25 and had to start traveling out of the country a lot, especially to Mexico City. I thought it was silly - the idea I needed it, and the class itself. I've never had to defend myself, and I've been in some sketchy areas and have never really felt unsafe, except for one instance. Generally, I believe if you act like you belong somewhere you'll be fine. I lived close to and hung out in Cabbage town in ATL way before it was finished being regentrified, and we routinely caught underground shows in Bankhead. While we did get offered the opportunity to buy a lot of drugs (declined), I never felt unsafe. In fact, those shows were super cool to us as the minorities in the situation. I'd go to some not great parts of NYC late at night by myself to catch shows all the time when I was there for work, and I was always fine. The only time I felt unsafe, and the training I received would not have helped me - was after a late night date, my then boyfriend (an African American attorney) was pulled over and he was questioned about the car, and the officer has asked me if I was ok. It was very tense and incredibly sad.

I took a self-defense class in college. Our Final was being able to flip the teacher on his back. He was the wrestling coach and wansn't very tall, but was very muscular and "solid." I did it and got an "A."

Fortunately, have never had to use it.

No, have not taken self defense classes. However, I did have an experience when I was about 16. Walking uptown in broad daylight I was physically shoved, and led into the court yard of an iron rod fenced church. There were four older male teens. One had a knife. The church side door opened, and they scattered, thank God. The police were called but, I was so scared that I wasn't much help in identifying them. Back then, I don't think self defense courses were even a thing.

Recently, Live with Kelly & Ryan had an expert on, and he demonstrated six techniques. I now see where those would be very valuable.

Stay Safe.

Last edited:
I haven't formally taken any self-defense classes no. DH is trained in self-defense as well as different military and law enforcement techniques. He's shown me a few basic things. Luckily I haven't had to ever defend myself from a physical attack either because I'm not sure I'd have the mindset, or memory to be able to use any of those techniques!

I think a Pink Panther (Movie depiction) repeat practice of those moves could be helpful.

Last edited:
Yes had 12 yrs of training and only once had a problem. That was on W Church St in Orlando Fla years ago when it was a dangerous area. It's since been cleaned up some and not as bad.

I think that self-defense probably starts with common sense about trying not to put ourselves in a bad situation to begin with, although admittedly, we can't always control every situation.

Does anyone remember seeing that detective who was on Oprah Winfrey's show many years ago saying what you should do if you found yourself in a bad situation? I always found that pretty helpful.

Two situations I can think of right now for myself that were a little hairy (no pun intended!):

When I was in junior high, a friend and I were near a park when a guy came up and exposed himself to us :earseek:classic trench coat and all. I don't think you ever saw two kids hop on bikes faster! And we rode as fast as we could probably a mile before we slowed down!

Another time, I was in college, with a friend, studying on an isolated beach. It was that time of year where it was one of the first warm days, so early in the season, probably late March. Nobody else was around as far as the eye could see. We took my German Shepherd along and had his long rope tied to the back of my Jeep. Out of nowhere we noticed a sketchy-looking guy coming up towards us. The dog was quietly watching him, too. My spidey sense was that he was up to no good. Anyway, when the guy got closer to us, the dog suddenly lunged at him, coming to the end of his rope and actually flipping up in the air, snarling. Fortunately he came close to, but didn't touch the guy. I had never seen my dog do that before, and was pretty taken aback. The guy said, "Whoa", put his arms up, looked around at our belongings, then walked away. I was never so glad to have had my dog with me as I was that day. I later learned that there were some homeless people living in the dunes on this beach.

Both were public places. I never went down to that beach again when nobody else was around.

I'm not sure if it was the same guy but I remember watching Oprah and it was featuring self defence and he said 'never let them take you to a second location'. That's always stuck with me.

Situational awareness is the most important thing. However, I know as kids we often had this fantasy about defending oneself. Many such fantasies are unrealistic.

We did some at school in year 8 or 9 I think. I also got an impromptu mini self defence class from Lorraine Bayly last year. She is an 80 year old Australian actress who, in the late 70s, was the most popular actress on Australian television; my mum served her in a store at the time and says it was like serving royalty! She was in the Sound of Music and we met her at the stage door. I can't recall exactly how it came up but she taught us to always carry your keys with your keys pointing out of your knuckles plus a few other tips! I now ALWAYS do the key thing when walking home at night.

Fortunately I've never had to use any of this stuff.

My stepfather taught me various self defense moves and against my younger but much stronger and bigger brothers they were quite effective. But even if it wasn't a conscious thought I always knew I was safe with them that they would never actually hurt me. At least not purposely anyway. As I found out years later, in the thick of things those move went right out the window. The instinct to use them never kicked in. Or it just happened so fast I just didn't have the presence of mind to utilize them. It's one of many reasons why I'm always saying you just don't know what you'll do in a situation until you're faced with it.

I'm convinced to this day that detective dude helped saved my life. He's the one who always said go with your gut right? I've told the story of being stabbed when closing up the bookstore years ago. I've always felt it was a semi stalker situation by the things he said that evening before it happened. He kept trying to draw me toward the back of the store but my gut kept telling me not to. This is a guy who'd been a customer for awhile and I really didn't have a solid reason to be wary of him but that night I was. I KNOW if I'd gone towards the back I wouldn't be here today. I can't explain it, I just know it. Anyway, the blade nicked a nerve in my spine and I went down like a ton of bricks taking him with me (he had an arm wrapped around my neck). That was fortunate because going down threw him off guard I think. He jumped up and was standing over me looking kind of shocked and I just started screaming and kicking. He took off, I jumped up, locked the door and dialed 911. There was a helicopter, police and ambulance there in minutes. I would say the whole thing from beginning to them arriving was less than ten minutes. I can remember people saying, "If you had a *insert weapon here*" or "If you had done this or that..." No, none of that would have worked, it happened way too fast.

Ironically I had a guy try to get me into his car and expose himself to me in middle school. I turned around and ran the other way. I never told my parents until many years later when I was grown. I was NOT supposed to be walking that way to school. I was more worried about my stepmother's wrath than anything.

Not self defense, but I have attended a few situational awareness seminars, and try to make sure that I am using those lessons in my daily life. DH and I each travel for work separately quite a bit, so I am often either traveling by myself or home/around town by myself so I feel like these are a good use of my time. I have lived and worked in a few big cities, and I have usually felt very comfortable, except for one time late at night in D.C., between Chinatown and Metro Center walking back to my hotel, I didn't have to defend myself, but it is a time that sticks out in my mind as being uncomfortable.

Growing up I had a paper route for many many years, and I cannot tell you how many creepy guys used to expose themselves to me through their windows/sliding glass doors while I was delivering papers, especially on Sunday morning deliveries :sad2:.

I'm not sure if it was the same guy but I remember watching Oprah and it was featuring self defence and he said 'never let them take you to a second location'. That's always stuck with me.
I drill this into my kids heads constantly. If they manage to get you to another location you are most likely never coming back so fight with everything you've got.

Yes, quite a few years ago I took a women's self defense class. I remember my mom had enrolled my sister and I but failed to enroll herself. When the instructor went around the room and asked why we were there, I remember mentioning that my mom had thought it would be a good idea for her girls to know how to defend themselves. My instructor's response was "and where's your mom?",lol

At the last class our instructor told us that we would be breaking a piece of wood with our hand and was wondering who would like to go first. The whole room was completely silent and then the tiniest woman in our entire group got up and said "I'll do it!", of course we ALL had to try after that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter