Have you ever wanted to quit in the middle of a race?

Yes, today, when I realized the race was about a half mile longer than it should have been because the lead runners took a wrong turn. But I kept going because I was going to have to cover the same difference, even if it was just a walk to the car.

A half mile may not be much, but mentally it was too, too much.

Rough race weekend in Nashville. It was 90 degrees and the first run of the year in the heat for me. They closed the marathon course at mile 11 due to the heat and had to settle for the half. I had already planned on just running the half but that was the only time I have ever wanted to stop. I hear that more than 30 went to the hospital and many of the water stations were bone dry. It was brutal but I am getting back on the horse and getting ready for my next race!

I have to ask myself constantly "Are you hurt or just lazy?" during every workout.

You're not alone.
@Keels You're back! Thought I read you were going to lay low for a bit... I'm glad that you're back. Reading your posts and advice this past year as I embarked on my running journey has been extremely motivating. Thank you :)

I have found that the more I look towards the ground while running, the worse the thoughts in my head are. If I look up more, they tend to stay away. Running has a funny thing about mental health.

After reading this, I noticed I do this too! Have been trying to look ahead when running, especially when I am getting tired and it sure makes a difference. Thanks!

Wanted to provide an update:

Decided a couple of weeks ago to register for a larger race. Ran my first half marathon this past weekend with a few thousand people versus the 269 last month. It was a much better race for me. Of course there were times when I questioned my ability but thanks to all the advice here, from looking up versus down at my feet, envisioning the elastic band, how many more songs until the end,... I was able to finish feeling strong.
My goal was 2:30 and I finished with a 2:27!

Thanks again to everyone who shared their stories and offered advice. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter