Have you heard of this air conditioning system?

yaya74

DIS Veteran
Has anyone heard of a brand of air conditioning system called "York?"
We are on the market looking to get our central air conditioning system replaced.
We moved into our house 5 years ago and we are guessing the system is probably 20 years old already.
We got a quote from PSE&G (local electrical company) yesterday. The quote from PSE&G is very good especially with a 36 months interest free financing plan.
However, we have never heard of the York and wonder if it is as good as Carrier, Lennox, Goodman, etc.

We got a quote from a local heating company and the quote is the same as the quote from PSE&G.

TIA!

My parents have a York. Never had a problem with it and they've been in their house for 25 years.

I hope that my statement doesn't jinx them.

York is a solid brand. Ask the dealer how long they have been a York dealer. I prefer an HVAC dealer that is fairly loyal to the brand not one that bounces around as if there are issues they have better pull. In my area York is not a major player, so I'd be concerned about parts.

Has anyone heard of a brand of air conditioning system called "York?"
We are on the market looking to get our central air conditioning system replaced.
We moved into our house 5 years ago and we are guessing the system is probably 20 years old already.
We got a quote from PSE&G (local electrical company) yesterday. The quote from PSE&G is very good especially with a 36 months interest free financing plan.
However, we have never heard of the York and wonder if it is as good as Carrier, Lennox, Goodman, etc.

We got a quote from a local heating company and the quote is the same as the quote from PSE&G.

TIA!
York is one of the major brands. I've never heard of Goodman though.

I also agree that York is a good brand, has been around forever. We had a york brand central ac unit and it lasted a long time, with no issues.

Do keep in mind that though York is a old brand name they were purchase by Johnson Controls in 2005. It think, overall, that is a good thing. With old brand names I always search to see the status of the name and if it was bought out just for the namesake.

I had one installed over a decade ago. It's a pretty well known brand in the industry. When I was talking to the HVAC company about which unit to install, I was told it was basically one of several brand names from the same company where they're different brands to differentiate the products in different price ranges. Back then it was owned by BorgWarner, which is primarily an auto parts maker.

As stated, York is owned by Johnson Controls, which is a huge in industrial HVAC but used to be well known for being a large maker of automotive batteries until they spun off the division.

It's not a household name like Amana, Carrier, or Lennox because they don't do a lot of advertising or don't piggyback off a brand known more for something else. However, it's pretty well known in the HVAC industry like Rheem, Trane, or Bryant.

Our York AC is 31 years old and is now finally showing its age. We still deal with the original HVAC company that installed it. However they are now recommending we replace it with a Trane.

I'd say the one thing about York is that it's more of a value brand. The internals are fine, but it doesn't look like it's expensive. Here's one model:

yrklxacp3.png

The Luxaire brand from the same manufacturer may look about the same, but a lot seems to be more about minor cosmetic differences.

Compare that to a typical Carrier:

comfort-air-conditioner-24ABB3-328x328.gif

I'd say the one thing about York is that it's more of a value brand. The internals are fine, but it doesn't look like it's expensive. Here's one model:

yrklxacp3.png

The Luxaire brand from the same manufacturer may look about the same, but a lot seems to be more about minor cosmetic differences.

Compare that to a typical Carrier:

comfort-air-conditioner-24ABB3-328x328.gif
Looking at those two pictures I would say the York offers much better protection to the condenser.

The Carrier has the condenser fins very close behind a thin metal fencing while the York looks to have placed a few inch air gap as protection between the outer shell and the condenser inside.

York is a major brands but have no personal experience with them, also never heard of Goodman. Might ask some of your neighbors what brand they recommend since it is likely others in your neighborhood will also be replacing their unit if the houses were all built about the same time.

I've heard of it. We replaced 2 AC united about 2 years ago. Got a Lenox. Had to replace furnace too but old furnace was not compatible with new AC units. The ones we took out were original to the house....about 25 years old. It cost us $20,000 all in. We still have one AC unit and one more furnace (that goes with that) to go. It's the smallest of the 3 so that's good. Just had the AC guy out for yearly check and he said the best time to replace AC units is January/February. If you can hold out that long, may be worth the savings.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter