Have you left a well paying job/career for something less stressful?

jaminmd

DIS Veteran
My job is making me sick. Bad boss, coworkers with no boundaries, everyone sucking up to the new president, etc. It's just a bad situation all around.

I've been an RN for nearly 30 years and I've been in the same specialty for about a decade (it's an administrative position). Due to my non-clinical role, going back to the bedside is not an option. It would be like starting all over again, and I'm too old for that. I've been having a hard time trying to find something I'm qualified for because what I've been doing is so specialized. I love what I do but they are really sucking the life out of me and it is affecting my sleep and my day to day functioning.

I don't want to go back to school at this point, so that option is out. I'm considering just leaving nursing altogether and finding a job where I can just go to work, put in my hours, and go home. Preferably a job working with animals.

Anyone willing to share if you just got so sick of a well paying job in order to do something else?

Is was not a career but definitely a very well paying job. Excellent benefits, three weeks paid vacation, top of the list seniority wise and substantial pay raise on the horizon. I. could. not. take. it. anymore. I'll spare you the long story but it ended with my calling my DH at work (something you didn't do back then) hysterically sobbing. I put in my two weeks the next day. Took a part time, minimum wage job and have never regretted it. I was fortunate to be able to do that. The only advice I can give is that it's not worth staying somewhere that will eventually break you. If you can afford to move onto something else, do.

I'm not at all familiar with nursing. Is there any way to meet with your admins to see if anything can be done to make it tolerable?

If nothing can be changed or it's not short term, I don't blame you for looking for something else. Life is too short to be that miserable.

ETA: My SIL needed a break from working in the NICU after my BIL passed away. She took a job as a medical consultant with a law firm. I think she reviewed medical files for E. coli cases, etc. The job served as a much needed break until she felt ready to deal with patients again.

Last edited:
I've left a very stressful, poorly paying job for a somewhat less stressful, somewhat better paying job...

I'm a teacher, and that does not pay well in my state, and teaching always includes considerable stress. But working conditions vary greatly between districts and schools, so I have been able to improve my working conditions greatly with job changes over the years. Doing so has considerably improved my quality of life.

Finding a new job was a lot of work, but completely worth it. I recommend finding a position at a new employer in your case. Since you love the work but not the people (and I've been there, done that- completely understand where you're coming from), it seems to be the actual workplace rather than the job that is causing you so much stress.

If finding a new position would be too exhausting or daunting for you at this stage of your life, then it is probably time to retire. Finding a better job, working there until you really no longer wish to work, then retiring would be more satisfying, though.

Last edited:

Nope, bills won't pay themselves. I did leave one for a $2,000 increase. Normally, that wouldn't be enough to make me move, but I hated where I was.

I cut my business WAY back. Pick and choose jobs and who we deal with. Started charging much more. One of the best things I ever did. Still work a lot. Because I want to. But it's work that I want and enjoy. Not what I have to do.

Is was not a career but definitely a very well paying job. Excellent benefits, three weeks paid vacation, top of the list seniority wise and substantial pay raise on the horizon. I. could. not. take. it. anymore. I'll spare you the long story but it ended with my calling my DH at work (something you didn't do back then) hysterically sobbing. I put in my two weeks the next day. Took a part time, minimum wage job and have never regretted it. I was fortunate to be able to do that. The only advice I can give is that it's not worth staying somewhere that will eventually break you. If you can afford to move onto something else, do.
Thank you - this gives me hope. I'm fortunate that our mortgage is paid so we have taxes and regular monthly bills, plus DDs tuition. I'm willing to take a drastic pay cut in exchange for peace of mind. Plus, I would prefer part time over full time, too.

I can count the years to my retirement on one hand, so no.
For many of my co-workers, especially those with children, teaching is the career they switch to. But, I live in an area with a strong teachers union, so pay starts at $44,600. Not having to pay for child care/summer camp for those with kids, saves a lot of money too. Holidays are not days off in my industry, and most of these folks have less than 10 years with the company, so only get 2 to 3 weeks off a year.

I did. It wasn't really 100 percent voluntary, but I made a preemptive move to a good, much less stressful job when I had the opportunity. It has been great! I sometimes miss the money, but I've made it work. The extra time with my kids is priceless!

I did. It wasn't really 100 percent voluntary, but I made a preemptive move to a good, much less stressful job when I had the opportunity. It has been great! I sometimes miss the money, but I've made it work. The extra time with my kids is priceless!
Yes, I'll certainly miss the income and the PTO but my sanity can't take it anymore.

I'm also nervous about trying to find a job outside of nursing because I've been doing this for so long. I'm afraid I'll be told I'm overqualified (I hate that term) or just be outright rejected.

Yes. I worked for one company for 10.5 years and developed high blood pressure because of it (horrible boss). I left for a different job and the blood pressure went down. That job was less stressful, but still had its issues. I now work for DH part time and could not be happier.

The money is not there, but we are making it work.....and that was an eye-opener.

You can do this.

Yes! Made a huge life change last year. I owned/ran my own dental practice and was burned out. Sold the practice and joined the Army. Best thing I've ever done. It's has required a big change in lifestyle but I wouldn't change a thing. My family is much better off and I'm much less stressed. Good luck with your decision.

Yes, I'll certainly miss the income and the PTO but my sanity can't take it anymore.

I'm also nervous about trying to find a job outside of nursing because I've been doing this for so long. I'm afraid I'll be told I'm overqualified (I hate that term) or just be outright rejected.

I know how scary this can be. I was already planning to retire in the next 1-3 years but my office moved over the weekend. My commute is now going from 1 hr 40 min each way to about 2 1/2 hours each way. I'm now planning to retire next April if I can tolerate the commute for that long.

You'll need to update your resume. If you want to go outside nursing, focus on the administrative work you've been doing and emphasize how those skills are transferable to other jobs. Maybe you can look into working at health care place like nursing homes and rehab facilities. Maybe you can look into per diem nursing work or something like visiting nurses. Good luck!

Holy cow - you're going to be spending all day on the road! I hope retirement works out for you. That commute is crazy.

DH wants me to just quit and retire. I'm not quite 50 yet so for me, that's a little to soon. I want to work, I just don't want it to consume my life like my current job does.

I'm scared and I don't like change but I know that this is the right thing for me to do.

Nope, bills won't pay themselves. I did leave one for a $2,000 increase. Normally, that wouldn't be enough to make me move, but I hated where I was.
^^This. I just don't have the financial latitude to even consider it. I wouldn't spend one more second at my current job if I didn't need the money. So I work to live and find my peace-of-mind elsewhere. Gotta say I envy people who take a great deal of satisfaction from their work.

Nursing is flexible, you could easily look for administrator or managerial position elsewhere. They could be any managerial position, such as medical supplies. Do you have long before retirement? Also do you feel you can't do pt care or dont want too? I worked in pt care in the hospital and got tired of it but went to primary care and find it more tolerable. I am a MSN.

I did take 3 years off due to personal reasons, when I returned it wasn't hard to find something.

Anyone willing to share if you just got so sick of a well paying job in order to do something else?

Yep. I had a great job with a big corporate bank, but left to be a SAHM when I had DS. I knew I couldn't handle the stress of a job with those hours when I really wanted to be with my baby. Pinching pennies a little bit on DH's income was way less stressful that that would have been.

When it was time to go back, I redirected into substitute teaching because of the flexibility. It was one of the best decisions I ever made!

DH wants me to just quit and retire. I'm not quite 50 yet so for me, that's a little to soon. I want to work, I just don't want it to consume my life like my current job does.

It sounds like you can afford not to work, so go for it! Find something part time that you really love, even if you start at the bottom, and don't feel guilty at all.

Yes, I left s very stressful job with no other job lined up. During a remodel my desk was the floor and I had to go between the third and sixth floor multiple times a day to keep the bosses happy.

I signed up with a temp agency and did very well. And was much happier.

Fortunately this was before mortgage and children early in my marriage so finances weren't an issue.

Another RN who couldn't take that field any longer. And no, moving to another area of nursing just wasn't going to cut it. I left and went into interior decorating and never looked back. I needed to be surrounded with an entirely different vibe.

Another RN who couldn't take that field any longer. And no, moving to another area of nursing just wasn't going to cut it. I left and went into interior decorating and never looked back. I needed to be surrounded with an entirely different vibe.

It's sad what they do to us, isn't it? I think it's the only profession where we are expected to be martyrs, doormats, etc.

That's why I want to work with animals. Unconditional love and appreciation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!