Have you left a well paying job/career for something less stressful?

^^This. I just don't have the financial latitude to even consider it. I wouldn't spend one more second at my current job if I didn't need the money. So I work to live and find my peace-of-mind elsewhere. Gotta say I envy people who take a great deal of satisfaction from their work.

That's part of what makes me so sad. I'm actually grieving over work that I love. It's that atmosphere that is driving me out. Also, more and more pressure is being put on my role and I won't get any additional help. Nope. Not going to entertain that idea. Especially when my boss collects an annual bonus of $150K (on top of an $800k salary) because my colleagues and I bust our butts to make him look good.

They call me during my off hours and vacations constantly. They think I'm at their beck and call. I can't get away from it - I have no escape.

Nursing is flexible, you could easily look for administrator or managerial position elsewhere. They could be any managerial position, such as medical supplies. Do you have long before retirement? Also do you feel you can't do pt care or dont want too? I worked in pt care in the hospital and got tired of it but went to primary care and find it more tolerable. I am a MSN.

I did take 3 years off due to personal reasons, when I returned it wasn't hard to find something.
Unfortunately, I left the bedside 20 years ago and have been in administration since. I'd be like a new grad all over again. No way. I have a BSN and dropped out of grad school and I don't want to go back.

Trust me when I say I have explored my nursing options. I am limited due to my specialty. I've been looking on and off for a year now and everything I find wants experience that I don't have. However, I was focused on FT jobs at my current paygrade. I have to start looking for something that doesn't require the same level of expertise.

When you returned after a three year hiatus, did they ask why you had a gap?

That's part of what makes me so sad. I'm actually grieving over work that I love. It's that atmosphere that is driving me out. Also, more and more pressure is being put on my role and I won't get any additional help. Nope. Not going to entertain that idea. Especially when my boss collects an annual bonus of $150K (on top of an $800k salary) because my colleagues and I bust our butts to make him look good.

They call me during my off hours and vacations constantly. They think I'm at their beck and call. I can't get away from it - I have no escape.

There can be great empowerment in holding a job you hate. You need to lay down the law and set real boundaries. What's the worst that could happen? They fire you? You're already on the verge of quitting. You hold all the cards, but nobody knows it - including you. So show your cards.

I've been fortunate in the past to be in jobs I just didn't need that badly and I've had to take the above approach. Made all the difference in the World.

I left a stressful job, but didnt take another FT job, it was more of a stay home with the kids/do part time work move. Absolutely no regrets. Yeah we have less money then we used to, but we can make ends meet and having less stress was not only very good for me, it had a very positive effect on everyone in the family. You never know what will happen, and transitions can be scary, but it was well worth the risk for us.

Holy cow - you're going to be spending all day on the road! I hope retirement works out for you. That commute is crazy.

DH wants me to just quit and retire. I'm not quite 50 yet so for me, that's a little to soon. I want to work, I just don't want it to consume my life like my current job does.

I'm scared and I don't like change but I know that this is the right thing for me to do.

Fortunately I won't be on the road. I'll take Metro North railroad to Grand Central then two subways to the NJ Path train and then walk a block or so once I get to Jersey City. DH is already retired but he's also a few years older than me. I'll be 59 this year and so timing wise I'm in a little better place to retire but I also realize that life can be too short. We lost our best friend last year at age 61 and a coworker just died on Friday. She was only 49. Do what is right for you. I always liked the saying that when God closes a door he opens a window. It may be a bit hard for me to climb through windows these days but I know things will work out regardless of what I end up doing.

There can be great empowerment in holding a job you hate. You need to lay down the law and set real boundaries. What's the worst that could happen? They fire you? You're already on the verge of quitting. You hold all the cards, but nobody knows it - including you. So show your cards.

I've been fortunate in the past to be in jobs I just didn't need that badly and I've had to take the above approach. Made all the difference in the World.
:hug: OP, Gumbo has offered you some EXCELLENT advice here. If I were you, I'd start putting it into practise tomorrow morning. It's just possible things could actually change for the better!

I left a job in marketing for a large law firm to go to nursing school. I wanted to work 3 days a week and be left alone the other 4. I work ER as a charge nurse but I am truly off the other 4 days. That's exactly why I will never go into administration. It never stops.

What about nurse triage from home? Or working for an insurance company?

ETA: its only a matter of time before I'm going to be burnt out. They have turned nursing into a "kiss their ***" field and I'm slowly dying inside. I'm going with "the grass isn't always greener on the other side" motto for now.

Yes, I did back in 2008. I was a government contractor for a well known defense company. It was extremely stressful, competitive, and just all around nasty. But it paid extremely well--I was making close to six figures at the time, and they knew that some would stay for salary, so raises where often times high (had I stayed I'd be well-over six figures, now). But like you, it was making me sick. I was extremely anxious and stressed, and affected me so much so that I became very bitter, angry, and nasty. I found a position with a non-profit, and while I took a $13K pay cut at the time, it was one of the best decisions that I ever made. I loved the organization and their mission, loved my coworkers, was able to deal with the pay cut, got back my work/life balance, and most of all I felt like a black cloud had lifted from my life because I felt like me again. It's hard to explain, but the job I left really impacted my life negatively, so much so, that I didn't realize how bad things were until I actually left. Sometimes you just have to do what's best for your well-being and happiness. Good luck!!

I left a job in marketing for a large law firm to go to nursing school. I wanted to work 3 days a week and be left alone the other 4. I work ER as a charge nurse but I am truly off the other 4 days. That's exactly why I will never go into administration. It never stops.

What about nurse triage from home? Or working for an insurance company?

ETA: its only a matter of time before I'm going to be burnt out. They have turned nursing into a "kiss their ***" field and I'm slowly dying inside. I'm going with "the grass isn't always greener on the other side" motto for now.

I'm actually surprised that they leave you alone on your days off.

I completely understand the dying inside part. I used to work 12 hour shifts in a neurosurgical ICU. I loved that job but left it when trying to start a family because I needed more flexibility. That was 20 years ago.

I know the grass won't necessarily be greener but I'm willing to trade it all in for less stress and more peace of mind.

I report directly to a VP. Over the years I've sat back and watched what they do to nurses. It's terrible. They micromanage in 15 minute increments yet VPs have unlimited funds for daily breakfasts, lunches, dinners, parties, etc. I'm digressing. Sorry. I'm a little bitter.

Yes, I did back in 2008. I was a government contractor for a well known defense company. It was extremely stressful, competitive, and just all around nasty. But it paid extremely well--I was making close to six figures at the time, and they knew that some would stay for salary, so raises where often times high (had I stayed I'd be well-over six figures, now). But like you, it was making me sick. I was extremely anxious and stressed, and affected me so much so that I became very bitter, angry, and nasty. I found a position with a non-profit, and while I took a $13K pay cut at the time, it was one of the best decisions that I ever made. I loved the organization and their mission, loved my coworkers, was able to deal with the pay cut, got back my work/life balance, and most of all I felt like a black cloud had lifted from my life because I felt like me again. It's hard to explain, but the job I left really impacted my life negatively, so much so, that I didn't realize how bad things were until I actually left. Sometimes you just have to do what's best for your well-being and happiness. Good luck!!

Several of my colleagues have left over the past few years, all nurse managers, and they're so much happier in their new jobs.

Our nursing directors are awful and useless. I feel so bad for the front line workers - those are the people I'm going to really miss. Then phlebotomists, my lab colleagues, the staff nurses, the folks in dietary. Those are the people that make the place great. The administrators all need to be put out to pasture.

I hate change and there were so many aspects of my job that I loved, I tried to ride it out. I think I lasted four years past the time I should have left. I'm looking forward to my black cloud to lift, too.

When I retired from a clerical job, I went to work at the front desk of a veterinary facility. Did that for awhile, then went to work in a church office. Both were very different environments from where I had worked for 30 years, but I thoroughly enjoyed them both. You said you might want to work with animals so a vet clinic could be a possibility. Or what about a Humane Society facility? I hope you can find something that is enjoyable and stress-free.

I kind of did. I left a decent paying job that I actually enjoyed to be able to stay at home with my kids. I loved my boss and my work was rewarding, but I would lie in bed in the morning crying because I just did not want to leave my children. I felt like I was missing so much.

Money is a lot tighter now, but I couldn't keep leaving them. I'm not wired that way. Once they're all in school, I'll head back to the workforce, though no clue what kind of job I'll be able to get after so many years unemployed.

Yes. 2 weeks ago I went to my retirement people, filled out the paperwork and retired the next day. It was to the point where I was physically ill, couldn't sleep. I legally can't say too much on an open forum just yet but have another taped interview with the attorney general's office this week.

Im ok for money for awhile but I might start looking for a part time job in a few months but I'm less stressed. I don't agree with a few previous posters that you are in the driver's seat because you may quit anyway. Usually bosses that create awful enviroments are not going to wake up and change because someone makes demands, they make life worse for you if you do. Why add that stress. Start researching part time jobs in a field you like, put some money away and then you can leave with no stress.

I left regular, full time work in health care (speech therapy) for travel and on call work. I'm doing only on call right now. Working on call has it's own kind of stress, as you are always "new." However, you're in each facility for a short time, so when Mrs. Jones gets a second stroke, or Mr. Smith suddenly dies, it isn't nearly as devastating as if you'd known them for months. I was having bimonthly crying spells when I was full time. On call is also less stressful in that it tends to be fewer hours--really just part time. It's great pay (no benefits) and gives me some balance, but overall my paycheck is lower. Worth it to me, though, to not have to lock myself in bathroom to cry every couple of weeks to hold it together.

I'm in the process. I'm leaving my teaching job when this year is over in one week. Our house is paid off, my youngest just graduated from college, and we can live on DH's salary. I plan to get a part time job or substitute teach. I feel very fortunate to be in a position where I can cut back. I'll be under way less stress and be freed up to help our parents, etc.

Every once in a while I have second thoughts, but the minute I start listing all the reasons we made this decision I know I'm doing the right thing!

I'm in the process. I'm leaving my teaching job when this year is over in one week. Our house is paid off, my youngest just graduated from college, and we can live on DH's salary. I plan to get a part time job or substitute teach. I feel very fortunate to be in a position where I can cut back. I'll be under way less stress and be freed up to help our parents, etc.

Every once in a while I have second thoughts, but the minute I start listing all the reasons we made this decision I know I'm doing the right thing!

I actually had to write notes to myself to remind me of why I'm doing this and why I can't stay. I needed to keep seeing why the bad outweighs the good in my situation.

Last edited:
Yes. 2 weeks ago I went to my retirement people, filled out the paperwork and retired the next day. It was to the point where I was physically ill, couldn't sleep. I legally can't say too much on an open forum just yet but have another taped interview with the attorney general's office this week.

Im ok for money for awhile but I might start looking for a part time job in a few months but I'm less stressed. I don't agree with a few previous posters that you are in the driver's seat because you may quit anyway. Usually bosses that create awful enviroments are not going to wake up and change because someone makes demands, they make life worse for you if you do. Why add that stress. Start researching part time jobs in a field you like, put some money away and then you can leave with no stress.

I agree. My boss will never change. He is a narcissist and is used to people fawning over him and asking how high when he says jump. He also says really inappropriate things that he's allowed to get away with. It's a good 'ol boys club.

Thanks for all the responses. I feel much better with my decision now.

I've been fortunate in that financially, we could swing it, but yeah, I left a pretty good job once to become a SAHD for a stretch. I've been back to work for a number of years now, but I still took a lower paying job in order to have work-life balance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter