Have you left a well paying job/career for something less stressful?

I'm actually surprised that they leave you alone on your days off.

I completely understand the dying inside part. I used to work 12 hour shifts in a neurosurgical ICU. I loved that job but left it when trying to start a family because I needed more flexibility. That was 20 years ago.

I know the grass won't necessarily be greener but I'm willing to trade it all in for less stress and more peace of mind.

I report directly to a VP. Over the years I've sat back and watched what they do to nurses. It's terrible. They micromanage in 15 minute increments yet VPs have unlimited funds for daily breakfasts, lunches, dinners, parties, etc. I'm digressing. Sorry. I'm a little bitter.

I totally get it. I'm just not burnt out quite yet. I have been very vocal about being left alone on my days off. And I don't pick up overtime. So they don't even ask me anymore.

33 years ago DH was a bank manager and I was an RN in a hospital. We lived in a suburb of Philadelphia and had 2 very young kids. We didn't like the conditions around us - too many people, too many traffic lights, etc. We sold our house, quit our jobs and moved to Maine. Our new jobs paid 20% to 30% less but our environment was far less stressful. We never regretted the move for a minute.

33 years ago DH was a bank manager and I was an RN in a hospital. We lived in a suburb of Philadelphia and had 2 very young kids. We didn't like the conditions around us - too many people, too many traffic lights, etc. We sold our house, quit our jobs and moved to Maine. Our new jobs paid 20% to 30% less but our environment was far less stressful. We never regretted the move for a minute.
We are considering a similar move to somewhere that we can stretch DHs pension a little further.

Several of my colleagues have left over the past few years, all nurse managers, and they're so much happier in their new jobs.

Our nursing directors are awful and useless. I feel so bad for the front line workers - those are the people I'm going to really miss. Then phlebotomists, my lab colleagues, the staff nurses, the folks in dietary. Those are the people that make the place great. The administrators all need to be put out to pasture.

I hate change and there were so many aspects of my job that I loved, I tried to ride it out. I think I lasted four years past the time I should have left. I'm looking forward to my black cloud to lift, too.

It just seems to me that in a lot of industries these days, fewer and fewer managers have much if ANY experience in doing the work of the people they supervise. Hard for them to understand the challenges you face if they have never faced them themselves. And I can't remember the last time I saw a manager step in and pitch in when we were short staffed during flu or vacation season. I don't think they even know how.

I saw this a couple of days ago but haven't had a chance to respond. I knew it would be long, lol.

Sorry to hear it. I fully understand. Also an RN with 30+ years working in acute care hospitals. It can be rough. You are definitely burnt out. I have btdt before, but I guess we're opposite in that with me, it was in my first RN job. (Sounds silly but the road to get there wasn't easy for me, was in school FT for seven years, and had to work two jobs to make ends meet, live on my own, etc., so by the time I started I had already been in the workforce for many years, even before college.) Anyway, pay there was pretty good but working conditions were abysmal. Basically not enough staff to do the jobs that needed to be done with patients. I stayed OT daily but never got paid for it. They gave a lot of vacation time but I never got to take any. I literally cried myself home in the car every day. I was showing signs of distress at home, like sleepwalking and mumbling to my DH that I "needed help, would show him how to pass meds", etc. My nurse manager at the time had a favorite saying, and she said it gleefully, to boot: "It's no better anywhere else!". :bitelip: Everyone there was so burnt out that nobody helped anyone else; there was no team work at all. It was every dog for himself, so to speak. And being new, I was just learning how to manage it all, so it was really disastrous for me. All I did was put out fires all day, every day. And that's not why I went into nursing. I went into nursing because I wanted to help people. Here, I wasn't helping people, I was just running around like a chicken with my head cut off trying to do technical things like EKGs and discharges and admissions, and VNA referrals, etc., often while I was trying to scarf down a few bites of a sandwich. I had no time to actually take care of patients the right way. Such a shame, as I loved that patient population. Finally, after yet another night of sleepwalking, crying and asking for help, my DH commented that I really needed to look for a new job for my own health. I knew he was right but the thought of it was daunting. Remembering what my nurse manager said, I was wondering if she was right and that maybe it was the same everywhere and that I'd made a mistake going into nursing. Ugh. Then one day a patient came up to me, sheepishly, like almost ducking, and said "I know you're busy but my bed hasn't been changed in five days, if you give me the stuff, I'll do it myself". That was my final straw. I stopped what I was doing, went and got the linens, changed his bed by myself, and spent some time with him. And later that day I gave my notice.

I wound up going to a place I'd done a clinical and liked a lot. I've been there ever since. There are trade-offs, such as traffic and parking issues, and of course other things from time to time, like at any hospital, but overall it's been a good fit. And that nurse director was dead wrong. It's not the same everywhere. In a way I was glad to have had that experience at the beginning of my career, because as bad as things ever got at the new place, they were never anywhere near as bad as they were at the old place. I was glad to have been given that perspective. New nurses who never worked anywhere else would complain about silly things and I'd think geez they have no idea. Plus systems have improved a lot since that time, as well as training and support, etc., for newer nurses today. In the old days, we were sort of thrown to the wolves when it came to new experiences, so to speak. Not anymore. And for that we probably have some of the regulatory agencies to thank, although they've been a double edged sword because they've also made our jobs a lot more complicated and stressful with the never ending increased workloads that patients neither understand nor care about - they just want to be cared for and aren't interested in how it gets done, really, and that is part of the stress that we all live with in trying to provide care to people today. It's like we're caught between a rock and a hard place. Electronic record administration has added a whole new element of stres for us. Sometimes I feel like I have a gigantic puzzle in front of me at the beginning of my shift (and I hate puzzles, lol), which eats away at me for 12 hrs yet I have to have it completed by the end of my shift. It's endless. And this is how it is now, no going back.

I'd say you should do what makes you happy. If leaving nursing and finding something else to do, or doing nothing, makes you happy, then go for it. Life, absolutely, is short, as we as nurses know so well. I will say, though, that it is hard as a nurse to be away from nursing, because you lose a lot of your identity, whether you appreciate that right now or not. Being a nurse isnt just a job, it's who you are. When I was away from the bedside for a while during my cancer experience, I felt like my right arm was missing or something. It was a weird feeling not taking care of patients, and I didn't like it at all. I missed it a lot. And when I came back to it, I had a new appreciation for it, as I could've lost it, so that was good for me to learn about myself. I'm one of those goofballs who thinks that being a nurse is a privilege, still, and I totally love the work that I do, even if it does have some drawbacks. Have I been burnt out on occasion? Yes. As like you, I had kids to care for and other responsibilities at home, and it was hard to give, give, give of myself all the time, which is what us nurses tend to do. At some point, you have to care for yourself, too. Thankfully I'd learned that in cancer treatment, so I made some changes when I came back and those have worked well for me and enabled me to continue with my work even when things sometimes still get hard. If I were advising you I'd say to look for a different job where you are now, or somewhere else. And cut your hours down, and look for a better schedule less days per week. Don't worry about a pay cut as you are thinking about dropping your pay anyway, right? I really wish I could work with you if you wanted to try the bedside again. Lots of nurses come back, and they do ok. Key is a good unit and a good preceptor. I would make it work for you. I did not like the way we were taught on our electronic record system and now I can explain it much easier to other nurses. It's not that difficult once you learn the system. And yes, it's challenging to take care of patients today with all it entails and still give them a good experience, but it can be done, as long as you work in a good place with correct staffing levels. That said, there are days I think I'd like to go work in a flower shop, or with animals, or maybe start my own business somewhere. But then I remember that the work I do is important to people, and I still have a lot left to give as a nurse. Right now my daughter is in training and she thinks that what I do is pretty cool so it's fun seeing her getting off the ground in the field and being able to talk to her about things. Good luck with whatever you decide. PM me if you want to talk more.

I left a higher paying job for my current one so that I could have summers, snow days, Christmas vacations, etc. off (I work in a school office). I value free time and time with family over money, so the choice to take this position was a no brainer. I do have to budget better, tho.

It was the best decision I have ever made. I can put up with a lot of crap when I know I have a 3 month window of not having to go to work lol

I'm considering it right now. I'm the majority breadwinner in the home so it would be a minor change in lifestyle as we live pretty frugally as it is. It's really going to hurt the retirement and savings, but if I keel over from a heart attack at work what good are retirement funds going to do me? :crazy2:

I left a very high-paying corporate job to be a SAHM. I was working 50-60 hours a week and always expected to answer my phone and work from home. I never saw my infant son. It was incredibly stressful and I was a wrecked mess. When I found out I was pregnant with our twins, I gave my notice. I work very, very part-time now at our church and I am MUCH happier. It's been a big financial adjustment, but we've made it work!

Unfortunately, I left the bedside 20 years ago and have been in administration since. I'd be like a new grad all over again. No way. I have a BSN and dropped out of grad school and I don't want to go back.

Trust me when I say I have explored my nursing options. I am limited due to my specialty. I've been looking on and off for a year now and everything I find wants experience that I don't have. However, I was focused on FT jobs at my current paygrade. I have to start looking for something that doesn't require the same level of expertise.

When you returned after a three year hiatus, did they ask why you had a gap?

I told my now current employer the truth, I had 2 children under 3, no family near by, and a husband that travelled a lot for his work at the time. His situation changed and the oldest started kindergarten, so I was ready to come back. I do work in pediatrics in an area that doesn't have enough primary care providers, so there is a huge demand, but I was pleasantly surprised I found something in 3 weeks. That was almost 4 years ago.

I know some nurses who are substitute school nurses....basically you fill in for the day if the regular nurse is out. It's fairly basic stuff - skinned knees, kids with fevers, etc. You could also consider beinf a school nurse in general and not just the substitute.

Another nurse here, but a newer one. (and sorry this will be long).

I changed my career shortly before I turned 40. I owned and operated a day care for 16 years, and I was burnt out and ready for a change. It was a 12 hour a day job, plus evenings and weekends doing paperwork and planning. I was exhausted, and starting to not love it anymore. You need to love it to work in that field.

Nursing had been an interest for many years; and, I was pretty nervous starting out at my age, but I went for it.

This was a huge pay cut for our family. We could live on DH's, but it was tight. I picked up a job at a group home, nights, and really enjoyed it. I got to learn the basics of med administration and safety, some basic medical supplies/equipment, and worked with a great group of clients. The staff and administration were just so-so, but it was a good experience overall.

The nursing education was intense and clinicals were terrifying. I learned very quickly that I wanted my first work experience to be in a hospital environment where I would have more training, more standards, and more "backup" as a starting nurse. But, I was worried about my ability to compete for those positions against 22yo nurses. So, when an opportunity appeared, I took a job as an aide at a local hospital, hoping it would be a stepping stone in the door. The hours were awful, and I made less than I did at the group home, but I hoped it would be worth it.

Best decision ever. I learned a TON just watching the other nurses, radiologists, phlebotomists, etc. I had an opportunity to work on multiple units and realized quickly that they are NOT all alike. I loved the surgical floor. The nurses there were all team players, and the manager had her stuff together. It was rare to find them "in a bind" even on the busiest/craziest days. They just knew how to roll with the punches and fill in the gaps when things hit the fan for one particular patient or one particular nurse or one particular shift. Other floors, not so much. Even with a team on the floor, it was like everyone was working alone. And that led to one crisis after another after another. The managers were awful, and so everyone just looked out for themselves, and it made working those floors a huge stressor. I couldn't imagine being a nurse there.

When I graduated, I was offered a job at the hospital where I worked. They had a full time opportunity on one of the not-great floors; and, a part time opportunity on the surgical floor. I took the part time job. After years of school and low pay, I really wanted/needed the full-time job. But, I just couldn't make myself take a job on a unit like that when I was a new nurse who needed good experienced nurses to teach me everything I hadn't learned in school. That's an accident/incident waiting to happen. No amount of pay was worth the stress or the risk. Luckily, I was able to pick up full-time on my preferred floor within six months.

I spent a few years there and loved it. But, I am post-40 and 12 hour nights aren't easy. Working every other weekend means I don't see my kids or husband as much as I would like. This year, I saw another opportunity I was interested in and applied for a full time hospice position. It's closer to home. 8 hour days, five days a week, and only one weekend every five weeks. It comes with a lot more autonomy than I had in the hospital environment, but the pace is slower and (like my previous floor) they have a great bunch of nurses who work together well.

So, sorry so long, but I guess my point is... go for it. There is always something else out there. Especially in nursing. There are so many different positions and environments. But, I'm sure you can find what you are looking for. Good luck!!

I saw this a couple of days ago but haven't had a chance to respond. I knew it would be long, lol.

Sorry to hear it. I fully understand. Also an RN with 30+ years working in acute care hospitals. It can be rough. You are definitely burnt out. I have btdt before, but I guess we're opposite in that with me, it was in my first RN job. (Sounds silly but the road to get there wasn't easy for me, was in school FT for seven years, and had to work two jobs to make ends meet, live on my own, etc., so by the time I started I had already been in the workforce for many years, even before college.) Anyway, pay there was pretty good but working conditions were abysmal. Basically not enough staff to do the jobs that needed to be done with patients. I stayed OT daily but never got paid for it. They gave a lot of vacation time but I never got to take any. I literally cried myself home in the car every day. I was showing signs of distress at home, like sleepwalking and mumbling to my DH that I "needed help, would show him how to pass meds", etc. My nurse manager at the time had a favorite saying, and she said it gleefully, to boot: "It's no better anywhere else!". :bitelip: Everyone there was so burnt out that nobody helped anyone else; there was no team work at all. It was every dog for himself, so to speak. And being new, I was just learning how to manage it all, so it was really disastrous for me. All I did was put out fires all day, every day. And that's not why I went into nursing. I went into nursing because I wanted to help people. Here, I wasn't helping people, I was just running around like a chicken with my head cut off trying to do technical things like EKGs and discharges and admissions, and VNA referrals, etc., often while I was trying to scarf down a few bites of a sandwich. I had no time to actually take care of patients the right way. Such a shame, as I loved that patient population. Finally, after yet another night of sleepwalking, crying and asking for help, my DH commented that I really needed to look for a new job for my own health. I knew he was right but the thought of it was daunting. Remembering what my nurse manager said, I was wondering if she was right and that maybe it was the same everywhere and that I'd made a mistake going into nursing. Ugh. Then one day a patient came up to me, sheepishly, like almost ducking, and said "I know you're busy but my bed hasn't been changed in five days, if you give me the stuff, I'll do it myself". That was my final straw. I stopped what I was doing, went and got the linens, changed his bed by myself, and spent some time with him. And later that day I gave my notice.

I wound up going to a place I'd done a clinical and liked a lot. I've been there ever since. There are trade-offs, such as traffic and parking issues, and of course other things from time to time, like at any hospital, but overall it's been a good fit. And that nurse director was dead wrong. It's not the same everywhere. In a way I was glad to have had that experience at the beginning of my career, because as bad as things ever got at the new place, they were never anywhere near as bad as they were at the old place. I was glad to have been given that perspective. New nurses who never worked anywhere else would complain about silly things and I'd think geez they have no idea. Plus systems have improved a lot since that time, as well as training and support, etc., for newer nurses today. In the old days, we were sort of thrown to the wolves when it came to new experiences, so to speak. Not anymore. And for that we probably have some of the regulatory agencies to thank, although they've been a double edged sword because they've also made our jobs a lot more complicated and stressful with the never ending increased workloads that patients neither understand nor care about - they just want to be cared for and aren't interested in how it gets done, really, and that is part of the stress that we all live with in trying to provide care to people today. It's like we're caught between a rock and a hard place. Electronic record administration has added a whole new element of stres for us. Sometimes I feel like I have a gigantic puzzle in front of me at the beginning of my shift (and I hate puzzles, lol), which eats away at me for 12 hrs yet I have to have it completed by the end of my shift. It's endless. And this is how it is now, no going back.

I'd say you should do what makes you happy. If leaving nursing and finding something else to do, or doing nothing, makes you happy, then go for it. Life, absolutely, is short, as we as nurses know so well. I will say, though, that it is hard as a nurse to be away from nursing, because you lose a lot of your identity, whether you appreciate that right now or not. Being a nurse isnt just a job, it's who you are. When I was away from the bedside for a while during my cancer experience, I felt like my right arm was missing or something. It was a weird feeling not taking care of patients, and I didn't like it at all. I missed it a lot. And when I came back to it, I had a new appreciation for it, as I could've lost it, so that was good for me to learn about myself. I'm one of those goofballs who thinks that being a nurse is a privilege, still, and I totally love the work that I do, even if it does have some drawbacks. Have I been burnt out on occasion? Yes. As like you, I had kids to care for and other responsibilities at home, and it was hard to give, give, give of myself all the time, which is what us nurses tend to do. At some point, you have to care for yourself, too. Thankfully I'd learned that in cancer treatment, so I made some changes when I came back and those have worked well for me and enabled me to continue with my work even when things sometimes still get hard. If I were advising you I'd say to look for a different job where you are now, or somewhere else. And cut your hours down, and look for a better schedule less days per week. Don't worry about a pay cut as you are thinking about dropping your pay anyway, right? I really wish I could work with you if you wanted to try the bedside again. Lots of nurses come back, and they do ok. Key is a good unit and a good preceptor. I would make it work for you. I did not like the way we were taught on our electronic record system and now I can explain it much easier to other nurses. It's not that difficult once you learn the system. And yes, it's challenging to take care of patients today with all it entails and still give them a good experience, but it can be done, as long as you work in a good place with correct staffing levels. That said, there are days I think I'd like to go work in a flower shop, or with animals, or maybe start my own business somewhere. But then I remember that the work I do is important to people, and I still have a lot left to give as a nurse. Right now my daughter is in training and she thinks that what I do is pretty cool so it's fun seeing her getting off the ground in the field and being able to talk to her about things. Good luck with whatever you decide. PM me if you want to talk more.

See, that's t
Another nurse here, but a newer one. (and sorry this will be long).

I changed my career shortly before I turned 40. I owned and operated a day care for 16 years, and I was burnt out and ready for a change. It was a 12 hour a day job, plus evenings and weekends doing paperwork and planning. I was exhausted, and starting to not love it anymore. You need to love it to work in that field.

Nursing had been an interest for many years; and, I was pretty nervous starting out at my age, but I went for it.

This was a huge pay cut for our family. We could live on DH's, but it was tight. I picked up a job at a group home, nights, and really enjoyed it. I got to learn the basics of med administration and safety, some basic medical supplies/equipment, and worked with a great group of clients. The staff and administration were just so-so, but it was a good experience overall.

The nursing education was intense and clinicals were terrifying. I learned very quickly that I wanted my first work experience to be in a hospital environment where I would have more training, more standards, and more "backup" as a starting nurse. But, I was worried about my ability to compete for those positions against 22yo nurses. So, when an opportunity appeared, I took a job as an aide at a local hospital, hoping it would be a stepping stone in the door. The hours were awful, and I made less than I did at the group home, but I hoped it would be worth it.

Best decision ever. I learned a TON just watching the other nurses, radiologists, phlebotomists, etc. I had an opportunity to work on multiple units and realized quickly that they are NOT all alike. I loved the surgical floor. The nurses there were all team players, and the manager had her stuff together. It was rare to find them "in a bind" even on the busiest/craziest days. They just knew how to roll with the punches and fill in the gaps when things hit the fan for one particular patient or one particular nurse or one particular shift. Other floors, not so much. Even with a team on the floor, it was like everyone was working alone. And that led to one crisis after another after another. The managers were awful, and so everyone just looked out for themselves, and it made working those floors a huge stressor. I couldn't imagine being a nurse there.

When I graduated, I was offered a job at the hospital where I worked. They had a full time opportunity on one of the not-great floors; and, a part time opportunity on the surgical floor. I took the part time job. After years of school and low pay, I really wanted/needed the full-time job. But, I just couldn't make myself take a job on a unit like that when I was a new nurse who needed good experienced nurses to teach me everything I hadn't learned in school. That's an accident/incident waiting to happen. No amount of pay was worth the stress or the risk. Luckily, I was able to pick up full-time on my preferred floor within six months.

I spent a few years there and loved it. But, I am post-40 and 12 hour nights aren't easy. Working every other weekend means I don't see my kids or husband as much as I would like. This year, I saw another opportunity I was interested in and applied for a full time hospice position. It's closer to home. 8 hour days, five days a week, and only one weekend every five weeks. It comes with a lot more autonomy than I had in the hospital environment, but the pace is slower and (like my previous floor) they have a great bunch of nurses who work together well.

So, sorry so long, but I guess my point is... go for it. There is always something else out there. Especially in nursing. There are so many different positions and environments. But, I'm sure you can find what you are looking for. Good luck!!
I have actually considered hospice nursing and know of a few openings not far from here. I'm not sure that they'd want someone who has been away from the bedside for so long but hopefully they'll consider all of the other skills I have acquired over the years.

See, that's t
Huh?

I have actually considered hospice nursing and know of a few openings not far from here. I'm not sure that they'd want someone who has been away from the bedside for so long but hopefully they'll consider all of the other skills I have acquired over the years.

Don't sell yourself short, jamin. Of course they'd love to have someone with all your years of experience!

I know this is off-topic, but can I just say thanks to all of you who put others before yourselves, day after day, shift after shift, as nurses? My DH had a medical issue over this past winter that resulted in several weeks in a hospital, then 6 weeks mostly bedridden at a rehab facility. We would not have made it through without the support and compassion of the nursing staff in both places. The vast majority of DH's nurses healed his body, but they also cared for our spirits and souls. The nurses cared for me as well as DH. I'll never forget the nurse who didn't ask if I needed anything to eat, just brought me soup and a sandwich at 2am. Then there was the night in rehab, after an emergency trip to the ER. DH was finally sleeping and I was dozing in the bedside easy chair, wrapped in a hoodie and towel to keep warm. I awoke to a nurse tucking me into a heated blanket, because she could see how chilly I was. These are only a couple of examples of our experiences this past winter. The women and men who cared for DH during his 9 week ordeal were professional, intelligent, compassionate, funny, dedicated, amazing human beings, and we wouldn't have made it through without them... so please accept my heartfelt thanks for all you do, in choosing to become nurses.

I know this is off-topic, but can I just say thanks to all of you who put others before yourselves, day after day, shift after shift, as nurses? My DH had a medical issue over this past winter that resulted in several weeks in a hospital, then 6 weeks mostly bedridden at a rehab facility. We would not have made it through without the support and compassion of the nursing staff in both places. The vast majority of DH's nurses healed his body, but they also cared for our spirits and souls. The nurses cared for me as well as DH. I'll never forget the nurse who didn't ask if I needed anything to eat, just brought me soup and a sandwich at 2am. Then there was the night in rehab, after an emergency trip to the ER. DH was finally sleeping and I was dozing in the bedside easy chair, wrapped in a hoodie and towel to keep warm. I awoke to a nurse tucking me into a heated blanket, because she could see how chilly I was. These are only a couple of examples of our experiences this past winter. The women and men who cared for DH during his 9 week ordeal were professional, intelligent, compassionate, funny, dedicated, amazing human beings, and we wouldn't have made it through without them... so please accept my heartfelt thanks for all you do, in choosing to become nurses.
Thank you. I am so glad these nurses were able to be there for you.

Yep, we where independent contractors hired to clean up waterways, our supervisor was a piece of work. Being paid about $750 per day, he started in on us one day and I said nope, I'm out. Turned, went home, and went oystering the next day.

Your body is telling you something!

Stress isn't a normal everyday feeling anyone should take likely. I'm going thru a different scenario right now wondering check to check if I will keep my job, or be let go. I know there will be a huge boulder dropped from my shoulders if I'm let go. Just the fact of worrying about it constantly is stressful.

Yup - I've given my notice at 2 jobs with no other job in sight. I hated both jobs with a passion. Both times I was told to pack my stuff and get out. And I did once they gave me my last paycheck. I always give notice on payday.

Now I have a very easy job working part time at my house and it's so much nicer. Although there are some days where I'd be thrilled to quit doing it, that's not an option since I'm working with my husband.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter