Have you made a switch from value and/or moderate resorts to deluxe? Was it worth it?

Our first onsite stay was at CBR and while we had an awesome time and loved everything about the resort, we tried a deluxe the following year and haven't stayed anything else since. The deluxes fit our vacation style as we tend to spend more time at the resort than we do the parks and we enjoy the extra amenities/dining options the deluxe resorts offer.
We have very similar travel styles. When DD was young, we spent a lot more time in the parks. I’m happy with just the morning in the parks and spending the rest of our time enjoying and relaxing at the resort.
It really is all about preference.

I only have three letters to say...DVC. That was our cure for moving away from values and mods. We used to be commando people. We are now very relaxed in our park touring and enjoy ourselves much more.

I think that there is value in upgrading if you plan to relax and use the resort amenities. We do and have tried to stay deluxe whenever we can justify the cost. I can honestly say that the moderates are pretty darn nice, and we never feel deprived when we choose one.

Personally, I think folks should look at their Disney vacation style, determine in advance if they will honestly leave the parks to relax at their resort, and then decide if an upgrade is worth the money. It is for us becuase we never spend all day in a park, but for those who will have trouble spending much time away from the parks, it may be a waste of money.

I think that there is value in upgrading if you plan to relax and use the resort amenities. We do and have tried to stay deluxe whenever we can justify the cost. I can honestly say that the moderates are pretty darn nice, and we never feel deprived when we choose one.

Personally, I think folks should look at their Disney vacation style, determine in advance if they will honestly leave the parks to relax at their resort, and then decide if an upgrade is worth the money. It is for us becuase we never spend all day in a park, but for those who will have trouble spending much time away from the parks, it may be a waste of money.
Very well said.
Our travel style has changed dramatically from park hopping, go go go! when DD was young to morning only in the parks, relaxing, and luxuriating now that we’re all adults.

I completely agree with this!

I have stayed at all 3 categories. DH and I recently stayed at the BWV on rented DVC points. Loved it, loved the proximity to Epcot World Showcase. However, on my solo trips I tend to stay cheaper. My last solo and upcoming one, I started out with Coronado Springs reservations and downgraded to value. My Feb trip went from $150 a night to $98; I couldn't justify in my mind the extra $52 a night when I wouldn't be there much. Like buzznina, we can afford deluxe but think they are way overpriced, so need a good deal to justify it.

I did exactly what you are talking about. First trip was ASMovies, second trip was port Orleans riverside, most recent trip was
animal kingdom lodge and wilderness lodge. I must say that the deluxe category was our favorite, we are even staying at the poly for the first time on our next trip. However that doesn't mean it has ruined the other categories for me. I will happily return to the moderates, I think they are wonderful and some the best themed resorts on property. I would also totally return to a value if it best suited my needs for the trip. And found the transportation to be pretty much equal amongst
all three.
So to answer your question, yes moving up to deluxe has spoiled me a little bit, but it certainly hasn't ruined other categories either.
This pretty well sums up my thoughts. I happily jump back & forth from mod (POR) & deluxe. I love both. In the past I’ve used Pop twice as arrival night stay before transferring to deluxe. This past Dec I had my first long stay at Pop. It suited my needs since it was winter and pool time wasn’t a priority. Although I missed having a hot tub.
During summer I doubt I’d stay at value resort because we spend more time at pool/Resort.

So this. I've been going to WDW since 84', and have seen it all tens times over. I still love it, but I no longer need to use all of the time to see the parks, for example. As such, we spend more time at the resort we stay at and the amenities make a bigger difference. That said, if we take our kids with us (and really, for anyone with a lot to see), it's all about the parks and the room is just a place to sleep, IMO.

Last edited:
I have stayed at Pop Century, Boardwalk, and Grand Floridian. Huge difference in Pop/Boardwalk. Boardwalk to GF not such a big deal. Definitely stay at Boardwalk!

We've done the opposite of most, we started deluxe then went moderates then tried a value. What we found is the deluxes are worth it when we have a longer trip and/or had a down day it was worth it. Moderates are often our default/favorite. We like having a close food court and a sit down near by. However, because we've been doing mostly long weekend trips or split trips and don't spend much time at the resort other than coffee in the morning and sleeping in the evening, we usually stick with values now.

I've down it all: POLY to All Stars to Downtown to POFQ, back Downdown to AKL, to Caribbean Beach to POP.
Always happy!! I'm at WDW after all.

It comes down to $$ for me, depending on discounts and such determine where we stay.

I think I could live at the AKL :)

We used to stay at value resorts exclusively. About 5 years ago we took our son for his first visit to WDW and decided to stay at Bay Lake Tower for the proximity to the MK as well as the balcony. After that trip, I swore that I would never go back to value or moderate ever again. Well, last year we went to WDW twice. Our first trip in June we stayed at AKL and the second trip we stayed at POR. While POR is a beautiful resort, I absolutely hated it. I was spoiled from staying in deluxe resorts with inside hallways as well as having balconies. Our son fell asleep one evening at POR at 6 PM and without a balcony, my husband and I were stuck sitting in the dark until morning. (Yes, I know that was my choice and we could have turned on the TV and/or lights but we hadn't arrived at our resort until after midnight the night before and our son was so excited to go to the MK that he had woken up at 6 am that morning.)

After that experience we have realized that we would rather skip a trip to WDW then stay anywhere other than deluxe. Be careful about moving up in categories! You may decide that it is the only way that you want to travel!!!

I have stayed at all levels and enjoyed every resort we stayed at. I think Disney’s resorts are a fine product, and I would stay at any of them for the right deal and circumstances.

My last two trips and my upcoming trip are all at the Swan. My extended family shares a 2 bedroom suite there, and it’s just fantastic in every way. If you can do without the Magical Express and the Disney Dining Plan, it’s a great alternative. :)

I have stayed at all levels and enjoyed every resort we stayed at. I think Disney’s resorts are a fine product, and I would stay at any of them for the right deal and circumstances.

My last two trips and my upcoming trip are all at the Swan. My extended family shares a 2 bedroom suite there, and it’s just fantastic in every way. If you can do without the Magical Express and the Disney Dining Plan, it’s a great alternative. :)

Our very first Disney Holiday was in 1998 and we stayed at All Star Sports. We have been coming every year since, sometimes twice a year, and have stayed more recently onsite at Universal for the express pass and just did day trips to Disney. However, in the last 3 years have felt compelled to return to Disney and stayed initially back at AS Sports a couple of times, last year a week at the Swan, a week at the Poly where we were upgraded to Club Level Lagoon view( I know!) and this Christmas just gone 2 weeks at the Dolphin and we are booked for 2 weeks at the All Star Sports in October, so I suppose what I’m saying is we are quite happy to stay at all levels and have enjoyed each and every one of our holidays, the last one at the Dolphin was amazing and would definitely stay there at Christmas again.
I wouldn’t say club level at the Poly met or even exceeded expectations, though we were very happy to be given the upgrade. If I had paid for club level I would have been disappointed in the Club Lounge, neither of us are big drinkers and we were already on a free Dining Plan so couldn’t make much use of the food, which didn’t look all that appetising.
Probably the best thing for us at the Poly was the ability to jump on the little boats to the Magic Kingdom, the bathroom also was pretty big but I wouldn’t want to pay 700-800 dollars a night for a week for it.

Location is the thing we would pay more for rather than the hotel amenities, and if I was ever going to stay Deluxe again it will be in the Boardwalk area so that we can walk to two parks

I go back and forth between moderate and deluxe. The only good thing about the deluxes are the balconies and the locations. If I could have a balcony at CSR that would be my preferred resort.

The problem I have with the values are the open bus lines with no cover.

Our story: we vacation in Florida once a year and usually split our stay between visiting family in the Orlando area, and enjoying a few intensive park days...

This is us as well - a few days with family then a few days at Disney, so not much time at the resort. We've stayed at POR, CBR, and POP, and loved them all! But next year, my DS really wants to stay at AKL, so if we can swing it, it will be our first deluxe. I'm glad to read so many answers from people who didn't get spoiled, and to note exactly what things bothered the others about going back and forth. Based on the info here, I think we'll be OK with it.

We have done all levels. When we did deluxe they were more reasonable then now. Discounts were better in the past. We've been going for forty years.

Anyway, we are park people. I really don't want pool time or whatever. I'd rather do value resorts and perhaps treat us to better dining or experiences like tours.

I can see trying it once for deluxe, but once and done would be my motto.

I bounce back and forth happily.....I'm in my twenties and a graduate student so when I go on a trip I tend to stay value. On the other hand, my family prefers moderates, and when they came to visit me on my college program we stayed in a Bay Lake Villa. My next trip, I'll be staying at the Contemporary (theme park view- so excited!) and I fully expect to do values again in the future! I love staying at deluxe resorts and consider it a fun splurge but it is NOT needed every time :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter