Have you Spatchcocked a turkey or chicken?

I am trying this method today with our turkey. Just went in the oven to be done around 4. Looks good, can't wait for the turkey smells to start filling the house. Wasn't an easy task to remove that backbone though, lol

I am trying this method today with our turkey. Just went in the oven to be done around 4. Looks good, can't wait for the turkey smells to start filling the house. Wasn't an easy task to remove that backbone though, lol

Check the time on how long it will take. Most of the directions I've read say it should take about 2 hours to 2-1/2 hours. You've got an extra half hour on that. Although, you could have a bigger turkey or are roasting it at a lower temp. You don't want it coming out overcooked. :crazy2:

Martha Stewart website says 2 hr 20 min:

https://www.marthastewart.com/355976/roast-spatchcocked-turkey

Check the time on how long it will take. Most of the directions I've read say it should take about 2 hours to 2-1/2 hours. You've got an extra half hour on that. Although, you could have a bigger turkey or are roasting it at a lower temp. You don't want it coming out overcooked. :crazy2:

Martha Stewart website says 2 hr 20 min:

https://www.marthastewart.com/355976/roast-spatchcocked-turkey

The recipe I am using says 1 1/2 hours at 350, rotating and basting every 30 min. Then turn oven up to 400 for the last 15 min, then tent and let rest for 15 min. The turkey weighs 11 lbs, so I am hoping I am computing the time correctly, lol! I couldn't get Martha's site to open correctly yesterday so I went with allrecipes.com Thanks Imzadi, Happy Thanksgiving!

The recipe I am using says 1 1/2 hours at 350, rotating and basting every 30 min. Then turn oven up to 400 for the last 15 min, then tent and let rest for 15 min. The turkey weighs 11 lbs, so I am hoping I am computing the time correctly, lol! I couldn't get Martha's site to open correctly yesterday so I went with allrecipes.com Thanks Imzadi, Happy Thanksgiving!
Enjoy your turkey, Lynn, and Happy Thanksgiving.

I’ve done the past the past two years. Best turkey ever. I have my butcher cut out backbone for me. I just did olive oil on skin and salt and pepper as my MIL likes traditional flavored turkey. My 14 pound took 1.25 hours- rested 30 minutes. Had turkey out about 1 hour prior to cooking at room temp (that was in recipe and I know some say not to do but I do).

I’ve learned a good meat thermometer is best investment. I took temp and it was done prior to recommended time. I took temp in a few places.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter