Have you started taxes yet?

I'm scared of my taxes this year. We had a sizable increase income plus a leave payout so I don't have anything to compare with. I guess we are considered upper middle now instead of middle middle. Hopefully we paid close to the right amount. Usually we get a few thousand back but I prefer to pay what I owe and not more or less.

It is very mathematical, yet over and over in this thread people are comparing the wrong numbers or not taking into account other changes that may have occurred between their 2017 and 2018 tax years.
The general population don't understand the federal taxes at all. All over the internet in every corner people are talking right now about taxes and the majority of them make comments on getting more back in a refund this year, or less, or owing more or less. Not near as many actually talk the number that's important, the amount of taxes you pay with X amount of income compared to those numbers next year.

Mine is simple. The difference between the median income number and what I make is down to an hour or 2 of overtime. As such, I made around $1000 more this year and my taxes were $1000 less. My refund on the other hand is smaller, but unlike most people, I don't view that as whether I am doing better taxwise this year compared to last year. People really do think that the more you get in a refund the better off you are.

With all this talk about marginal vs effective tax rate I thought I would check mine.

My marginal went down by 3% but my effective is the same. So tax cuts don't exist for me.

But there are many ppl saying the overall amount paid went up b/c their taxable income went up. If I used to pay 10% on $1, but now I pay 8% on $2. I pay more $ in taxes overall. So, you don’t care if you pay more overall? Am I misunderstanding you?

This is where I am.

I want to point out that I would have a totally different outlook if my taxable income went UP due to me making more money or something *I* caused. My gross income DECREASED due to my husband working much less overtime this year. Based on my deductions being the same as last year (donations, property taxes, state taxes), common sense would tell me that my taxable income would also have decreased. Due to the changes in the tax law for 2018, my taxable income shot up quite a bit even though I made about $11,000 less this year. How is this not a factor? Living in the high CoL area, it was clear through Turbotax that much I what I used to claim, was disallowed. Last year I was able to item and deduct $38,000 off my income, making taxable less. This year, I got $24,000. I was disallowed most of my state taxes and then my charitable contributions.

I 100% understand that my effective tax rate (or my bracket) decreased this year. I can see that, it's plain as day, but I can also see that the new law made MORE of my income taxable. Again, it would be different if I caused the increase by making more money or having less deductions, but I didn't.

With all this talk about marginal vs effective tax rate I thought I would check mine.

My marginal went down by 3% but my effective is the same. So tax cuts don't exist for me.
My effective rose .65% but as I said earlier in the thread I had lots of changes between 2017 and 2018. Short of doing my 2018 taxes with my 2017 info or my 2017 taxes with my 2018 info, I can't really say if the change was due to the tax law or due to other changes in my tax situation or a combination. I expected my effective tax rate to rise or be unaffected because my income puts me at the point where I make too much for my vote to be easily bought and too little for my dollars to do the buying.

I know for a fact that my taxes due will rise $2000 for 2019 as I am losing the child tax credit for my youngest. I have planned accordingly by adjusting my withholding for 2019.

Last edited:
Interesting e-mail we just got as VITA volunteers - seemed timely to this thread:

The attached Talk points were developed to assist you with helping taxpayers understand why they may have a smaller refund than anticipated or owe an unexpected tax.

Background: Due to tax law changes created by the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (also known as TCJA or tax reform), many employees’ withholding decreased in early 2018, giving them more money in their paychecks during the year. As a result, some may receive a smaller refund or even owe tax, especially if they did not adjust their withholding after the withholding tables changed. Talk points were developed to help taxpayers with understanding why they may have a smaller refund than anticipated or owe an unexpected tax.

They attached a good 2 page PDF of commonly asked questions / situations and explanations to give taxpayers. :)

I think if I get "real" bored this weekend, I'm going to input my 2018 information into my 2017 Turbotax. I still have the software on my computer so it should be pretty easy.

This is where I am.

I want to point out that I would have a totally different outlook if my taxable income went UP due to me making more money or something *I* caused. My gross income DECREASED due to my husband working much less overtime this year. Based on my deductions being the same as last year (donations, property taxes, state taxes), common sense would tell me that my taxable income would also have decreased. Due to the changes in the tax law for 2018, my taxable income shot up quite a bit even though I made about $11,000 less this year. How is this not a factor? Living in the high CoL area, it was clear through Turbotax that much I what I used to claim, was disallowed. Last year I was able to item and deduct $38,000 off my income, making taxable less. This year, I got $24,000. I was disallowed most of my state taxes and then my charitable contributions.

I 100% understand that my effective tax rate (or my bracket) decreased this year. I can see that, it's plain as day, but I can also see that the new law made MORE of my income taxable. Again, it would be different if I caused the increase by making more money or having less deductions, but I didn't.
Yes you really need to compare tax rates before deductions, rates are slightly lower this year buy deductions less and exemptions zero

Something else you have to keep in mind with the shift from a big refund to less withheld per pay is that you are (hopefully) earning interest on the additional money you get each check. When you get a big refund at tax time you are just getting back an interest free loan you gave to the largest organization on the planet. When you get a little more each paycheck and put it into your interest bearing account you are benefiting from that interest, not the government. It is one of the added benefits many people don't even think about.

I started them,did not like the results so will put it off until closer when we have to pay the bill.

I'm gonna go the sovereign citizen route and see how that works out for me.

I'm travelling Mr. IRS!!!

Something else you have to keep in mind with the shift from a big refund to less withheld per pay is that you are (hopefully) earning interest on the additional money you get each check. When you get a big refund at tax time you are just getting back an interest free loan you gave to the largest organization on the planet. When you get a little more each paycheck and put it into your interest bearing account you are benefiting from that interest, not the government. It is one of the added benefits many people don't even think about.
Something else you have to keep in mind is that others prefer it that way. I'm not necessarily saying we are but we def. don't try as hard as possible to get to break even as other people. That could def. change over time though.

But I will say our Money Market account is 0.065% interest rate and our Joint Checking account is 0.045% interest rate. Heck my husband got $15.88 in interest in 2018 for his one checking account though I don't know the interest rate off hand----can we have a party now :) :)

In all seriousness the interest rates are still so dang low people have to look at it if things work out better for them in terms of their needs. Is having a little bit of money in your paystub each month better or is it easier to have it in a lump sum. Think of it as a very tiny lottery--lots of people choose the lump sum rather than 30 payments and while a large part of that is the length of time the other part is it's just easier in their minds to see it as a lump sum aspect.

All that being said for sure people can check around for accounts with higher interest rates though that normally comes with additional rules and/or fees. I know our Money Market is a higher yield one than other options but it comes with higher accumulative running account balances plus a hefty fee for 12 months of no account activity. We largely use our Money Market account for escrow shortages personally though.

It takes less then 5 minutes to fill out a new W-4 form, https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4.pdf, and adjust your withholding to ensure you get a large refund.
Gee..did you miss the comment you quoted?

Something else you have to keep in mind is that others prefer it that way.

By that I mean they prefer it the way they've been doing it whatever way that is.

*Sorry no rudeness intended :) though I know it comes off as abrupt

Gee..did you miss the comment you quoted?

By that I mean they prefer it the way they've been doing it whatever way that is.

*Sorry no rudeness intended :) though I know it comes off as abrupt
There is nothing in the 2017 or 2018 tax code that requires someone to get a large refund or no refund.

As the tax payer you are in complete control.

There is nothing in the 2017 or 2018 tax code that requires someone to get a large refund or no refund.

As the tax payer you are in complete control.
No I fully understand that. I think you're trying to talk about something I'm not. I responded to a poster talking about giving the government, by way of how someone structures their withholding, an interest free loan rather than taking that money that would have gone to the government and putting it into an interest-bearing personal account. Some people don't prefer to do that if they prefer a larger sum at the end rather than small amounts each paystub in addition to interest-bearing accounts not having much interest. Just depends on the person and how they prefer it.

Something else you have to keep in mind is that others prefer it that way. I'm not necessarily saying we are but we def. don't try as hard as possible to get to break even as other people. That could def. change over time though.

But I will say our Money Market account is 0.065% interest rate and our Joint Checking account is 0.045% interest rate. Heck my husband got $15.88 in interest in 2018 for his one checking account though I don't know the interest rate off hand----can we have a party now :) :)

In all seriousness the interest rates are still so dang low people have to look at it if things work out better for them in terms of their needs. Is having a little bit of money in your paystub each month better or is it easier to have it in a lump sum. Think of it as a very tiny lottery--lots of people choose the lump sum rather than 30 payments and while a large part of that is the length of time the other part is it's just easier in their minds to see it as a lump sum aspect.

All that being said for sure people can check around for accounts with higher interest rates though that normally comes with additional rules and/or fees. I know our Money Market is a higher yield one than other options but it comes with higher accumulative running account balances plus a hefty fee for 12 months of no account activity. We largely use our Money Market account for escrow shortages personally though.

This is off topic but take a look in your area at credit unions you are eligible for and you might find some great MM rates. I have a MM earning 1.2% and have gotten at least a 100% bonus dividend the last three years and a 250% bonus dividend one of those three. The only rule is I need at least $2,000 in there and withdrawals are a minimum of $500 but you can deposit any amount. Need $200? Withdraw $500 and put $300 right back in. There are Reg D limits so you can't really use it as a transactional account but we view it as savings anyway.

You can get 2.2% at Ally bank from their online savings accounts which don't come with many restrictions at all.

This is off topic but take a look in your area at credit unions you are eligible for and you might find some great MM rates. I have a MM earning 1.2% and have gotten at least a 100% bonus dividend the last three years and a 250% bonus dividend one of those three. The only rule is I need at least $2,000 in there and withdrawals are a minimum of $500 but you can deposit any amount. Need $200? Withdraw $500 and put $300 right back in. There are Reg D limits so you can't really use it as a transactional account but we view it as savings anyway.

You can get 2.2% at Ally bank from their online savings accounts which don't come with many restrictions at all.
Yeah it's a good thing to keep an eye out.

Our MM requires a running accumulative balance of the primary account holder's account(s) (which can be changed if needed) of $5,000 at least in terms of not being charged fees attached to it.

Our life insurance policies tend to pay a dividend (not much but something).

I have thought about Ally it's just the whole no branch thing that would take getting used to. 'Course we don't actually go to the bank anymore unless it's cashing a large check or in the case of several years ago switching the primary account holder.

We've stayed with one bank because of our account history with them but that def. doesn't mean we can't open an account elsewhere.

Finished my taxes today. Owe $$ :P Argh....I usually even out between state and feds (owe money to one, get a similar refund from the other) but this time, I owe more than I'm getting back.

SINK and got a raise this past year. Itemized deductions but my SALT was capped at $10K (and I paid about $17-18K so blech).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter