Have you tried the Impossible Burger or any of the other Impossible Foods products?

Who goes to a fast food chain like Burger King or Tim Hortons for healthy food? I really don't understand all of the "it's so unhealthy!!" sentiment when these places are full of factory farmed animal meat pumped with antibiotics and synthetic hormones. Deep fried everything. I don't think anyone was going into this thinking it was a healthy alternative .. maybe just a more ethical or less disgusting one?
I'm completely done with Tim's after it's been at the top of Canada's pollution list year after year and done virtually nothing to create a recyclable cup. So I have no real investment here. But it doesn't really surprise me that a huge profit wasn't generated .. people generally don't care.

Mmmmmm, Tim Hortons! LOL.

Tim Hortons was the greatest thing we saw in Canada. That was because we were on bicycles and when the only thing you see in 30-40 miles on a bicycle is a Tim Hortons, their turkey club sandwich is the greatest thing you'll ever eat, hahaha.

One day I think we had Tim Hortons for breakfast, lunch, and dinner because we hadn't seen anywhere else to get food.

Fair enough. However that doesn’t explain why everyone expected the Beyond or Impossible menu additions to be “healthy”. There was a large outcry about how it wasn’t healthy , which I found ironic given the relative acceptance that nothing else on the menu was healthy. I can absolutely see wanting healthy options , I don’t know why it was assumed Beyond or Impossible would be that option when it wasn’t marketed as such.

I'm not sure it is about expecting it to be healthy, exactly. Healthier relative to the rest of the menu would be a more accurate way of phrasing it. And why? Because we are generally conditioned to think of red meat as one of the least healthy things we eat, and of plant-based foods as healthier. So when presented with ground beef vs. plant-based burger patties, people assumed there would be some health benefit to the plant-based choice.

Fortunately BK, like most of the chains, does post their nutritional data so it was an easy enough assumption to correct for those who cared enough to take note.

I don't think I've had the impossible burger, but I have had the Beyond burger. My daughter came home from school somewhat recently and said she wanted to cut back on beef. I don't think it's just like beef, but my daughter is open to it. She also seems open to more healthy options like salads, so I'm happy to support her on her attempt to make a better choice for herself and the planet. Baby steps!
A halfway point: I recently tried the "Big Mac Salad" that's all over Pinterest -- yum! Salad with ground beef that really does taste like a Big Mac. Don't use too much lettuce; I mean, it should definitely be a SALAD, but it's about the balance of the veg + meat.

And if you're watching carbohydrates like me, it weighs in at only 3 carbs for a whole salad.
I don't think the idea was to create something healthier then meat but instead to create an alternative to meat for environmental reasons. An alternative that actually looked like, cooked like, tasted like, and was nutritionally alike.
Yeah, I hear you, BUT I don't think that's what most consumers hear. Instead, I think consumers who only read the headlines tend to hear, "Red meat is unhealthy, so here's something better!"
2. You will forever remember the day you first tasted it as the day you tasted something ALMOST, like beef.
Yes! That's it! We were all curious, so we home-grilled beef burgers and -- okay, I'm not sure we had Impossible or Beyond, but plant-based burgers. The taste was acceptable, but I could definitely tell which was good old beef.
But people automatically assume it is because it’s a veggie burger and not a burger made with beef. Same as they assume agave or honey is better than sugar because they’re “natural” even though sugar is also natural and their nutritional profiles are almost identical. Ultimately that’s on the consumer who doesn’t do their homework but it’s not by accident that these products are perceived to be “better” or “healthier.”
Yes, I think most people are pretty ignorant about nutrition /rely upon advertising to tell them that "Soup is good food" or "Lite" or "Less sugar".
I don't understand what's so special about making plants taste like meat. Cows do it all the time. :rotfl2:
Okay, this line wins "King of the thread". Great.

I haven’t tried it but I used several meat replacement products over the winter since my soon to be daughter in law is vegetarian. They were very easy to cook with but every single one had a funky smell to them. I don’t know what the ingredient was since I used a few different products but the smell was enough to turn me off. The food didn’t smell after it was done cooking but during the process it was just kind of gross. She of course thought everything was great. I made burgers, breakfast sausage, and chili.

I tried it a while ago and didn't care for it. But I'm a bit different in that I genuinely love a good veggie patty though. When I order veggie patties, I definitely prefer them to not be an imitation of meat. So something for me felt off about the patty. I definitely want to give it another shot but I know that I can't hold it to the same standards I would for a good veggie burger. (I know that it's not meant to be a veggie patty replacement btw, I just happen to have that preference).

Mmmmmm, Tim Hortons! LOL.

Tim Hortons was the greatest thing we saw in Canada. That was because we were on bicycles and when the only thing you see in 30-40 miles on a bicycle is a Tim Hortons, their turkey club sandwich is the greatest thing you'll ever eat, hahaha.

One day I think we had Tim Hortons for breakfast, lunch, and dinner because we hadn't seen anywhere else to get food.
:crazy2: Personally, I hate Tim Hortons but I can’t argue they are pretty iconically Canadian. They’ve had a rather shocking decline in revenue over the past year or two because they have gradually morphed from the beloved coffee-and-doughnuts they made famous and now sell everything from breakfast burritos to meatless hamburgers - all of which are prepared off-site and assembled/microwaved in the stores. Their hot foods are just really, really bad and trying to provide a new, ever changing menu to be all things to all people has caused havoc with their service model.

My beef has no extra added unnatural chemicals in it other than that which can not be controlled and enters the system through the air or water.
I could be wrong but I’m guessing @PrincessBelle39 was referring to all of the synthetic growth hormones that are given to the cows. These are very unnatural. You can buy more expensive beef that is better but these are not the types of beef fast food/restaurants are serving

I am not claiming that the fake meat patties are healthy becase I don’t believe they are but neither is a fatty hormone inject beef burger.

I could be wrong but I’m guessing @PrincessBelle39 was referring to all of the synthetic growth hormones that are given to the cows. These are very unnatural. You can buy more expensive beef that is better but these are not the types of beef fast food/restaurants are serving

I am not claiming that the fake meat patties are healthy becase I don’t believe they are but neither is a fatty hormone inject beef burger.
:thumbsup2 In fairness, I’ve never seen the Impossible products or Beyond Meat advertised as being “healthier” than meat. They’ve simply been marketed as a plant-based alternative. I’m not even sure if they’re totally vegan because the advertising doesn’t stress it.

Tried Burger King's and did not like it. I figured the prominent grilling at Burger King would mask the non-meat taste but it didn't. Had I never had a real burger, maybe it would have been tolerable but I would prefer to not overeat burgers in general so when I do eat one, I want to enjoy it.

They had them at Red Robin when we went there for dd's birthday. I think it was the Impossible Burger. It was really delicious.

:thumbsup2 In fairness, I’ve never seen the Impossible products or Beyond Meat advertised as being “healthier” than meat. They’ve simply been marketed as a plant-based alternative. I’m not even sure if they’re totally vegan because the advertising doesn’t stress it.
I’m not sure if they are advertised as healthier either. People really need to read the ingredients they put into their bodies if they are concerned about eating healthy. I am not a vegan so I might not have this totally correct But from what I have read, companies like to use “plant based” vs. Vegan because there are gray areas of Veganism like honey. Some vegans eat it and some are totally against it.

If one is health aware, then I would assume they were seeking out fresh beef from a butcher that they can know how their beef is raised. If you want to compare the chemical fake crap vs healthy beef, then I have to assume we are also talking based on the people don't go to Walmart to buy their meat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter