Have you tried the Impossible Burger or any of the other Impossible Foods products?

I looked up the nutrition profile and ingredients and actual ground beef is healthier! This is a ultra processed product full of calories and fat and not really any actual nutrition. It lacks the vitamins and iron of beef.
I'm a meat eater but I often eat veggie burgers. I was really excited to try the impossible burger since I do like the taste of meat but just try make healthy choices, but the more and more I'm reading about how it's made - it doesn't strike me as particularly healthy.
After looking at nutritional information for the Impossible Burger, I will likely not eat them.

I don't think the idea was to create something healthier then meat but instead to create an alternative to meat for environmental reasons. An alternative that actually looked like, cooked like, tasted like, and was nutritionally alike.

If they are going to the trouble of making a "meat alternative" burger, they could have also tried to make it healthier. Cows aren't the only animals in the environment they should care about. They should care about the humans eating these burgers, too. :rolleyes: A healthier "meat alternative" burger shouldn't have to be an either/or option.

These burgers have too much fat at 14 grams for a quarter pound burger. And the company uses GMO soy.

Last edited:
I have no interest in the Beyond burger or the Impossible burger. As a vegetarian I don't want something that looks and tastes like beef. And as a mom to a non-vegetarian child, I'd prefer not to feed him these products due to the ingredients. So despite having both vegetarians and meat-eaters in our home, these just aren't for us.

However, while they may not be made for vegetarians, many theme parks don't seem to realize that and are seemingly replacing many of their meatless burger offerings with these. Now, I tend not to order burgers of any kind at the parks..meat or meatless, but I do think it's too bad for vegetarians who enjoyed the previously offered, obviously vegetarian burgers, if the parks switch over to just these.

That seems to be an issue with restaurants and not with the alternative meat industry.
However, while they may not be made for vegetarians, many theme parks don't seem to realize that and are seemingly replacing many of their meatless burger offerings with these. Now, I tend not to order burgers of any kind at the parks..meat or meatless, but I do think it's too bad for vegetarians who enjoyed the previously offered, obviously vegetarian burgers, if the parks switch over to just these.

A lot of it, I bet, has to do with the way the "alternative meat" burgers are advertised. This is where the power of social media can work. It unfortunately may be up to the vegetarian patrons to educate the restaurants & theme parks and insist a healthy vegetarian alternative be on the menu. That these "alternative meat" burgers aren't a healthy or acceptable substitution to their usual, healthier "veggie burgers." This is when there is power in social media numbers on the Twitter and Facebook pages of these places.

See while I’m supportive of the idea of finding non-meat alternatives for meat lovers, as a vegetarian I find it frustrating that many quick service / restaurants are using these products as their vegetarian/ vegan option. I’ve been vegetarian way too long to want to eat anything that resembles a dead animal and I don’t think good veggie meals are ones structured the same way as a meat meal - ie just swap out a meat alternative and make the meal veggie. That’s the way people thought 20 years ago!

I have to admit, I'm having a bit of trouble perceiving how something that looks like a thin brown hockey puck resembles a dead animal. (I do have a bit of that issue with lamb on occasion, but only when it's served whole-roasted.) Once meat is sliced into boneless cutlet-type pieces or formed into "patty" shapes, any visual association with the animal is long gone.

I don't think that products like these will ever be a mainstream solution to the environmental impact of meat farming; I think there are far better options on the horizon. One example is that serious progress is being made with tissue-cloning research, and I think that is more likely to efficiently solve the mass-production problem in a much more cost-effective manner.

Also, FWIW, the environmental impact of large-scale crop propagation is not exactly wonderful, either, and because of the influence on flooding, it has a tendency to impact the average person much more directly and forcefully than that of meat-raising operations.. Unless you choose to limit your food options strictly to what you can hunt or gather locally, the production of food for sale to a mostly non-agrarian population is going to have some negative impact somewhere.

Last edited:
I tried the Impossible Burger. I thought it smelled weird. I won't be eating it again. I'm not a fat/thick burger fan; I prefer thin burgers...that could have had something to do with it, too.

I tried the Impossible Burger. I thought it smelled weird. I won't be eating it again. I'm not a fat/thick burger fan; I prefer thin burgers...that could have had something to do with it, too.
You sure you didn’t try the Beyond Burger? The beyond one is thick, the impossible one I tried was thin.

I eat meat. I will continue to eat meat though I have reduced the amount I eat and usually only have red meat about twice a month. I will not eat the "fake" meat products. If I want a veggie meal, then I will make a veggie meal without using the pretend stuff.

You sure you didn’t try the Beyond Burger? The beyond one is thick, the impossible one I tried was thin.
Same here. I have had impossible burgers 2-3 times now. They were always thing and I do think they taste probably as close to meat as vegetables will ever be able to taste.

I find the Impossible Burger quite delicious. The burger joint I regularly frequent offers it, so I've been getting it for months now. I am not a fan of the Beyond Burger or other Beyond products - I have eaten it several times and have always been disappointed in how flavorless it is. I am not a vegetarian or vegan, and I eat regular beef burgers often too, but I enjoy the taste of the Impossible Burger as something different - but just as tasty - as a regular burger.

Give it a try! I was very surprised when I took my first bite out of it at how flavorful it was. It is NOT healthier than a regular burger, but I presume it is better for the environment.

Got curious and tried an Impossible Whopper last night. It was about $1 more than a regular Whopper and no special deals (like the $5 Whopper meal with fries and drink) available with coupons or the BK App. So after $6.09 plus tax I walk out with just a burger.

It was thoroughly cooked similar to what I might find from BK. It looked just like cooked ground beef. The flavor was close. I don't know about whether or not it "bleeds" because it was cooked well done like I'd expect from BK. I suppose that's more for a specialty restaurant that might cook burgers medium or less.

It wasn't bad. It tasted more or less like beef, but I don't know about it unless the price goes down. And for many that it's make with GMO tech to make the "heme" will be a nonstarter, although I don't care.

The Impossible Burger and The Beyond Burger are 100% targeted at meat eaters, not vegetarians or vegans. They are trying to give options those who like the taste and the texture of meat that are much better for the planet. I haven't eaten meat in 32 years and it's a little difficult for me to even look at one of these burgers. But I did get curious and try an Impossible Burrito at Qdoba and found it quite good. I believe it would fool most people.

Prices will go down and demand for these products continues to skyrocket. Beyond has pledged their options will soon be less expensive that animal meat.

When I cook the beyond burgers at home I cut my through the middle to create two thin burgers and save the other half for the next day because I like a thin burger.

The Impossible Burger and The Beyond Burger are 100% targeted at meat eaters, not vegetarians or vegans. They are trying to give options those who like the taste and the texture of meat that are much better for the planet. I haven't eaten meat in 32 years and it's a little difficult for me to even look at one of these burgers. But I did get curious and try an Impossible Burrito at Qdoba and found it quite good. I believe it would fool most people.

Prices will go down and demand for these products continues to skyrocket. Beyond has pledged their options will soon be less expensive that animal meat.
Nutritionally, veggie burgers are the same or worse than beef.

Nutritionally, veggie burgers are the same or worse than beef.

It depends on the brand and what exactly you are looking for nutritionally. Boca burgers have 100 calories, 35 of which are from fat, compared with an 80/20 beef burger which has 287 calories, 203 of which are from fat. Boca burgers have 4g total fat, 1g saturated fat, and 0g trans fat. Beef burgers have 23g total fat, 8.6g saturated, and 1.3g trans. Beef burgers also have 80mg cholesterol compared with a Boca burger's 5mg. The positives for beef burgers is they do have more protein (19g to Boca's 13g) and less sodium (75mg compared to Boca's 350mg).

The Impossible burgers seem to be pretty crappy nutritionally, but not all veggie burgers are the same.

I eat both meat and meatless products. The Impossible Burger was decent, but if I wanted a meat alternative to eat, I would just eat something else.

All this talk about vegetarian has me hankering for the falafel burger I had at Cosmic Ray's on my last trip! :-( Sad that we're not coming back until at least 2021...

I'll stick to my grass fed rotationally grazed beef that my kids have watched being born, named, petted, and fed. The price is right as well at $0/lb. :D

Today it was announced that all the Canadian Restaurant Brands International corporate stores and franchises, which include Tim Horton's, Burger King & Popeye's, are discontinuing all Beyond Meat menu items immediately. They state that while they may bring items back or develop new items in the future, the low demand for plant-based alternatives have been very low.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter