Have you tried the Impossible Burger or any of the other Impossible Foods products?

I think I am going to try it. They have it at Carls Jr and I can get it in a lettuce wrap to try it out. I like that there is not a million carbs in it.

I'm a meat eater but I often eat veggie burgers. I was really excited to try the impossible burger since I do like the taste of meat but just try make healthy choices, but the more and more I'm reading about how it's made - it doesn't strike me as particularly healthy. So I may try it once, but if I'm gonna splurge on something "not healthy" I may as well get the meat burger itself.

I'm a meat eater but I often eat veggie burgers. I was really excited to try the impossible burger since I do like the taste of meat but just try make healthy choices, but the more and more I'm reading about how it's made - it doesn't strike me as particularly healthy. So I may try it once, but if I'm gonna splurge on something "not healthy" I may as well get the meat burger itself.
I don't think the idea was to create something healthier then meat but instead to create an alternative to meat for environmental reasons. An alternative that actually looked like, cooked like, tasted like, and was nutritionally alike.

Last edited:
I'm not a vegetarian, but I try to avoid red meat since I watch my fat and calorie intake. I eat a lot of Boca Burgers. They give me the feeling that I'm eating a burger, even though I'm not. After looking at nutritional information for the Impossible Burger, I will likely not eat them. I might try it if my husband orders one, but a whole one would be more fat and calories than I want or need.

Yes, basically we need to stop using cows as a major meat source because they have a very damaging environmental impact.

I had one Impossible Burger at one of the Epcot festivals and it was good enough to switch from a regular fast food burger IMO. I heard Burger King is going to serve them nationwide and I'm ready for it.

Also, in case anyone is interested, there is also a sushi Tuna alternative available now from Ocean Hugger Foods and available in some Whole Foods locations. I've been meaning to try it, but the one near me doesn't have it :(

As a vegetarian, I don't care for either the Impossible or Beyond burgers. They're just too meaty for me and it's too difficult to differentiate from a meat burger. I guess that's kind of the point, but it makes me more nervous eating out since I can't clearly tell if my burger actually is vegetarian or if they messed up and gave me a meat burger (which unfortunately happens way more than it should). I do wish they'd do something to make them look a little different. I also wish it wasn't becoming the new standard for all vegetarian substitutes to taste like meat. It's great for meat eaters who want to lower their meat consumption, but not so great for vegetarians who don't like the taste of meat.
I ordered an impossible burger the other day and got a real burger... fortunately there was a visual difference compared to my partners and I caught it before I ate any but it was still frustrating

The impossible burger was not created for vegetarians, it was created for meat eaters.

The goal is to give a viable alternative for meat eaters so that intensive meat farming can be eliminated. Meat farming has become extremely efficient but still has a very large negative impact on the environment.

See while I’m supportive of the idea of finding non-meat alternatives for meat lovers, as a vegetarian I find it frustrating that many quick service / restaurants are using these products as their vegetarian/ vegan option. I’ve been vegetarian way too long to want to eat anything that resembles a dead animal and I don’t think good veggie meals are ones structured the same way as a meat meal - ie just swap out a meat alternative and make the meal veggie. That’s the way people thought 20 years ago!

See while I’m supportive of the idea of finding non-meat alternatives for meat lovers, as a vegetarian I find it frustrating that many quick service / restaurants are using these products as their vegetarian/ vegan option. I’ve been vegetarian way too long to want to eat anything that resembles a dead animal and I don’t think good veggie meals are ones structured the same way as a meat meal - ie just swap out a meat alternative and make the meal veggie. That’s the way people thought 20 years ago!
As a long time vegetarian 22 years now vegan I agree that veggie burgers are not as appealing as some other options and get boring when it’s the only option. However when there was zero option before and now there is at least one option I see that as a positive move in the right direction. At least I have an option now if I want it.

That seems to be an issue with restaurants and not with the alternative meat industry.

1. The impossible burger uses products tested on animals. Therefore it is plant based, but not Vegan.
2. You will forever remember the day you first tasted it as the day you tasted something ALMOST, like beef.
3. It's full of highly processed and derivative products
4. Avoid reading the nutrition label at all costs.

4 oz beef patty (85-15 grind) vs 3 oz impossible burger.
Calories 283, 220
Fat 17.5, 13.

Ok you get a smaller portion but you save a bit in fat and calories. Not as good as we'd want but ok right?

Saturated Fat. 6.7, 11 Ruh Roh........
Sodium 82, 470 YIKES!!!
Protein 29.2, 21 Whoops.
Iron 16%, 10%

In sum. So what I am left with is a highly processed product that isn't much if any better for me than 85-15 beef and in a couple of key areas is worse, and is not vegan that tastes somewhat like beef at three times the cost ($12 a pound at my local market as opposed to $4.)
The Impossible Burger is to Beef as Cool Whip is to whipped cream, as Margarine is to butter. A fad knock off product that people through much mental gymnastics convinced ourselves was almost as good tasting and that later we found out was just as bad for you as the genuine article it was supposed to replace if not more.

Last edited:
For those saying that the Impossible Burger isn’t healthy, DUH! They never billed it as such. It’s a non-meat option. There are many times that friends would want to go out to a burger joint and I’d be SOL and stuck with a grilled cheese (helllllo In-n-Out and others). It’s junk food. If you want a junk burger that tastes awesome but isn’t made from meat, this is a great option.

For those saying that the Impossible Burger isn’t healthy, DUH! They never billed it as such. It’s a non-meat option. There are many times that friends would want to go out to a burger joint and I’d be SOL and stuck with a grilled cheese (helllllo In-n-Out and others). It’s junk food. If you want a junk burger that tastes awesome but isn’t made from meat, this is a great option.
But people automatically assume it is because it’s a veggie burger and not a burger made with beef. Same as they assume agave or honey is better than sugar because they’re “natural” even though sugar is also natural and their nutritional profiles are almost identical. Ultimately that’s on the consumer who doesn’t do their homework but it’s not by accident that these products are perceived to be “better” or “healthier.”

My uncles are vegetarians and they are turned off by things that look or smell like meat. I can see where if these become the only vegetarian option it would limit their choices further.

As to the original question if I go out for a burger I want a real one.

1. The impossible burger uses products tested on animals. Therefore it is plant based, but not Vegan.
2. You will forever remember the day you first tasted it as the day you tasted something ALMOST, like beef.
3. It's full of highly processed and derivative products
4. Avoid reading the nutrition label at all costs.

4 oz beef patty (85-15 grind) vs 3 oz impossible burger.
Calories 283, 220
Fat 17.5, 13.

Ok you get a smaller portion but you save a bit in fat and calories. Not as good as we'd want but ok right?

Saturated Fat. 6.7, 11 Ruh Roh........
Sodium 82, 470 YIKES!!!
Protein 29.2, 21 Whoops.
Iron 16%, 10%

In sum. So what I am left with is a highly processed product that isn't much if any better for me than 85-15 beef and in a couple of key areas is worse, and is not vegan that tastes somewhat like beef at three times the cost ($12 a pound at my local market as opposed to $4.)
The Impossible Burger is to Beef as Cool Whip is to whipped cream, as Margarine is to butter. A fad knock off product that people through much mental gymnastics convinced ourselves was almost as good tasting and that later we found out was just as bad for you as the genuine article it was supposed to replace if not more.

Regarding the animal testing: https://impossiblefoods.com/if-pr/the-agonizing-dilemma-of-animal-testing/

What would be some good ways to do this and still have it be appealing? I mean, my first thought was, "make it a different color" but what other color looks appetizing as a burger?

Personally, I wouldn't mind what color they used if it helped to differentiate it from a meat burger. They could make it lime green or fuchsia and it wouldn't bother me. What would probably be a better alternative than coloring though is to make it a different shape. A square or flower shape would work well. Some black bean burgers are made in a flower shape and they fit well on the standard round buns.

The impossible burger was not created for vegetarians, it was created for meat eaters.

The goal is to give a viable alternative for meat eaters so that intensive meat farming can be eliminated. Meat farming has become extremely efficient but still has a very large negative impact on the environment.

I do understand that, but as a PP noted, it is frustrating that the Impossible and Beyond products (which are more like meat) are replacing the other veggie alternatives like Garden burgers, Boca, and black bean patties. It is a smart idea from a business sense as it markets to the much larger meat-eating population, but it does limit the choices for some vegetarians. I don't like the taste of Impossible and Beyond but can put up with it if it's my only option, but I know some vegetarians who it completely grosses them out. It also makes me so leery ordering one from a restaurant since I can't know for sure that I'm not accidentally served meat and meat does make me physically sick.

No. If I want something that tastes like meat, I'll eat actual meat.
Truth. The vegans I know are mostly vegan for a variety of philosophical reasons - they say the mere though of the texture and taste of meat offends them. No way are they pining away for a realistic meat replacement.

:rotfl2:Call me when we're on the verge of that actually happening.
We're talking about plant-based replacements for hamburger patties - what do you want it to look like? :confused3 Salads, soup, buddha bowls, veggie wraps - none of those things look like animals but a burger is what it is.

I would love to try them but do they contain textureized vegetable protein? I am tryiing to avoid that and I wish they were available in stores.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter