Have your kids started school yet?

My kids are adults so no.
The two largest school districts here, San Juan and Elk Grove started last Thursday, August 10.
The third largest, Sacramento City, starts in 2 weeks, August 28.

Today. It was a short summer. They used to go back towards the last week of August but they are changing things up with the entire 9 month schedule. Now they will have a full week off over Thanksgiving (was only 4 days before) and they will now get out before Memorial Day. Before they got out the the second week in June. Apparently it revolves around how finals fall. Before they would take them after Winter Break and now they will take them before. Older DD assures me this is a way better schedule for them all around. College classes remain the same. Older DD will go back on the 28th.

Students start back on the 22nd. Teachers go back tomorrow.

Last edited:

For those who's kids start in July, when do they end school/summer start? Where do you live? I can't imagine school starting in July. We always have been in Sept. I didn't even know there were places kids went back that early!! I just learned something!! Thanks!

Elementary, 6th and 9th go for a half day on 8/16. All go on 8/17.
Some of the other schools in the metro area started last week.

Same but no real surprise since I live in Southern Maine (York County). My son starts kindergarten this year and I teacher in a different district

I'm in Orono, just outside of Bangor. I just got back today from visiting my siblings in York. My niece goes back to school the day after Labor Day- sure wish we did- but she started track practice today, so everyone's gearing up for the school year already!

My kids went back July 19th. They have a 6 week summer but we have a two week fall break starting September 18th.:thumbsup2

For those who's kids start in July, when do they end school/summer start? Where do you live? I can't imagine school starting in July. We always have been in Sept. I didn't even know there were places kids went back that early!! I just learned something!! Thanks!

I'm in southern Indiana. We start the end of July. Then we have a 2 week break in October, Christmas, and March. We get out the week before Memorial Day for summer break.

Summer's winding down, at least here in northern New England, but there's another two weeks until school starts. In my area (greater Bangor), teachers report August 28th, kids August 30th (for most of the public schools). Local colleges and universities start on the 28th, too. When did/do your kids go back to school?

Today Today Today
Glorious today!
:rockband::thanks::flower::dogdance::yay:party::jumping1::banana::cheer2:

got out May 26th - go back Thursday (August 17).

I always think we are so lucky in the spring when I read here about students not getting out until late June since we would have been out for a month already. But then August rolls around and I remember why I would much prefer the late June-after labor day schedule. It is not that warm in late May/early June, no real pool days yet. I would love to languish at the pool in the last, hot days of August rather than having the children sitting in school.

got out May 26th - go back Thursday (August 17).

I always think we are so lucky in the spring when I read here about students not getting out until late June since we would have been out for a month already. But then August rolls around and I remember why I would much prefer the late June-after labor day schedule. It is not that warm in late May/early June, no real pool days yet. I would love to languish at the pool in the last, hot days of August rather than having the children sitting in school.
And I love being able to scoot out on summer vacation in late may before the full summer crowds are out and before it gets ugly hot. By the time August gets here, it's too hot to do anything fun anyway, so we're usually ready (at least I am ;)).

7th grader starts August 29th.

11th grader was originally scheduled to start August 24th, but they've been doing construction at the school that is a little behind, so they pushed them back to August 31st now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!