Having a hard time staying excited after reading so many terrible reviews on here

I was told before our trip last time that none of the food at DW is great. A lot of good food but not great food. I was a little bummed like you. I went in with low expectations, and ended up being pleasantly surprised how much better everything ended up being. Well...everything except Rainforest Cafe. That was just bad. But even Tony’s Town Square in MK which traditionally gets bad reviews wasn’t as horrid as people make it out to be. I think too many people are expecting gourmet for everything.

And I agree with last poster about the money. You can’t think about the money at the restaurants. You have to know everything is going to be outrageous compared to what you’re used to at any regular restaurant outside the park. If you don’t dwell on the money I guarantee you’ll have an overall much better time and the food will taste better to you as well.

I haven't been to World yet so take this for what it's worth.

I did a lot of research before settling on my restaurants list. Most of the restaurants on this list got rave reviews, and a couple had very mixed reviews ('Ohana and Be Our Guest). I also got a lot of negative feedback for California Grill. Still, I got ADRs for all 3.
Food is incredibly important to me and I put a lot of time and thought into choosing each. However, in the end, there are some places that I wanted to check out for myself. 'Ohana is everywhere. I want to do it at least once, regardless of other people's experience. For some people it's their favourite place, there must be a reason why. Be Our Guest I'm not expecting anything from the food, I just NEED to be inside. California Grill I've lowered my expectations and will see what happens. In the end, only you can make up your opinion about a place. I know that if I don't go to these, I'll regret it. I'd rather go, have a mediocre experience and laugh about it afterwards than wonder what if. I'm in Disney World with the love of my life - it still beats any other day.

Now, mind you, there are places I'd never set foot in (Tony's, most everything in Hollywood Studios), the reviews are so bad, but for those with mixed reviews, I'd say go and see what you think, it's the only way :)

I enjoy reading the reviews on here, but would never use them as the determining factor of where I should stay or eat. I do my own research and reserve what looks good to me. Some decisions have turned out to be excellent, some not so great, and most have fallen somewhere in the middle. My future WDW plans depend a lot on my past experiences, not on someone else’s. I have yet to have a really awful meal or stay at WDW. My advice is to stick with what you have and only make changes if it is what YOU want to do.

Admittedly, I’m not a foodie nor do I like particularly fancy foods, but I, along with my family, loves Chef Mickey’s. I don’t think we’d go for dinner but for breakfast it serves some delicious foods. Maybe it is due to us living in Europe, but of all the buffet breakfasts we’ve had over here, nothing beats the American buffet at CM’s (except for maybe the five star hotel’s breakfast we stayed in when visiting Paris this Christmas). If that doesn’t tell you how much I love it, i don’t know what will!

I do find the buffet dinners at WDW to be pretty basic food wise, but perhaps that is again due to my experiences in Europe.

As for Ohana, we really liked it for breakfast, not so much for dinner. The food wasn’t for us, nor was the atmosphere. I think it’s subjective- you have to go yourself to find out whether it’s for you. :)

I haven't been to World yet so take this for what it's worth.

I did a lot of research before settling on my restaurants list. Most of the restaurants on this list got rave reviews, and a couple had very mixed reviews ('Ohana and Be Our Guest). I also got a lot of negative feedback for California Grill. Still, I got ADRs for all 3.
Food is incredibly important to me and I put a lot of time and thought into choosing each. However, in the end, there are some places that I wanted to check out for myself. 'Ohana is everywhere. I want to do it at least once, regardless of other people's experience. For some people it's their favourite place, there must be a reason why. Be Our Guest I'm not expecting anything from the food, I just NEED to be inside. California Grill I've lowered my expectations and will see what happens. In the end, only you can make up your opinion about a place. I know that if I don't go to these, I'll regret it. I'd rather go, have a mediocre experience and laugh about it afterwards than wonder what if. I'm in Disney World with the love of my life - it still beats any other day.

Now, mind you, there are places I'd never set foot in (Tony's, most everything in Hollywood Studios), the reviews are so bad, but for those with mixed reviews, I'd say go and see what you think, it's the only way :)
Beware that the buffet dinners are nothing at WDW compared to DLP’s buffets (at least the plus plan ones- the standard buffets are very basic). The food is just a lot simpler- things like fried chicken, spaghetti, etc, whilst in DLP there are more elaborate dishes on offer.

The breakfasts however are MILES better in WDW. Have a great trip!

I’m one of those who is very critical of Disney restaurants. Most of them are mediocre at best IMHO. However, I visit WDW to spend time with my family and create memories. That’s what’s most important.

Don’t worry about negative reviews. Enjoy your family bonding time!

I didn’t read everyone else’s comments, but here’s my 2 cents:

The Polynesian is a beautiful resort. My favorite of the four on property resorts I’ve stayed at including two other deludes.

CRT had surprisingly good food when we went for dinner a few years ago. Be Our Guest was awful for both breakfast and lunch. I haven’t been there for dinner.

The food outside the parks is usually better than inside. We haven’t been to Ohana, but love Kona Cafe. We also haven’t tried Chef Mickey’s, but love The Grand Floridian Cafe.

Many years ago when we first started going to Disney, somewhat before the Internet destroyed everything, I had a friend who had gone to Disney many, many times. He gave me a lot of great advice, again this was before everything was at you fingertips on the Internet, it was there, but nothing like it is today. He would also kind of complain to me about how bad Disney has gotten. How he has seen the customer service, the restaurants, all go downhill and get bad. Now I'm thinking at the time that everything was great. I thought the customer service was great, and I loved all the restaurants. Now twenty something years later....I'm him. I think customer service as gone downhill, as have most of the restaurants. When people ask for reviews on restaurants I generally don't give them because I'm comparing them to the past, when I believe they were good. What I'm trying to say is go where you want to go! Go to the character meals and don't care what the food tastes like, you're not there for that, your there for the memories you will carry with you for a lifetime! Is it overpriced? Absolutely! Is the food good? No! But some of my best memories are of my kids at character meals. Ohana used to be my favorite restaurant, Im one of the top shrimp eaters, 65 in one sitting lol. I don't go anymore because I no longer like it. But I'm telling you to go, go for the experience and go because you may love it. Don't research things too much, and go with an open mind. Oh, and by the way, San Angel Inn is awesome!

Every Disney restaurant and resort has given someone the absolute worst dining/vacation experience of their life. Every Disney restaurant and Resort has given someone the most magical experience of their life.

Take a break from reviews when you get bogged down. There's a thread on here titled "Carribean Beach is a dump". It wasn't for us and in fact, it was basically the Four Seasons compared to the hotel we stayed at nights 1 and 2.

You made good decisions based off your interests, your family, and budget. Trust your gut.

We loved our stay at The Poly in August, CRT for dinner in November was good, Ohana 3x and counting was wonderful and San Angel Inn was very enjoyable! We had great service and good food. The Poly was so relaxing and enjoyable for us. Have a great trip and enjoy!

We've been going to Disney World for more years than I care to admit. Did Ohana twice in the past few years and would go back tomorrow. Mexico IMO has a great atmosphere (yes its dark but you are supposedly dining outside in the dark...duh :confused3 . Chef Mickey's is all about the napkin waving and that OK.

We've been fortunate to be able to visit on average 4 to 5 times a year the past 3 or 4 years for multiple days on each trip (usually a week at a time). Dining from QS to Lounges, to Full Service to Dining Events on NYE. Not once have I said boy my trip was ruined due to a meal. I have left a number of restaurants and said WOW that was really good.

As others have said skip the reviews, sure look at the menus and see if its food you like, but I'm not taking dining advice from strangers. Set your expectations for what it is. If its a Character Breakfast or Dinner guess what the focus is on...Characters! Along the way you may find some nice surprises.

We loved the Poly when we stayed there but our friends thought it was "dated". We have never had truly bad food in all of our visits to WDW. Some that we liked more than others of course, but that is to be expected anywhere. I would just try all of the places you want and just enjoy the magic of being in WDW!

First of all, literally everyone on this board does not hate 'Ohana.

Second, if you read on this board long enough, you will find extremely bad reviews of every restaurant at WDW. Every single one. AND of every single resort. they aren't all dumps and dives. I love California Grill myself but I have a friend who will never return there, ever.

Yes, it's a major vacation destination, and the prices are going to reflect that.

Pick the places you think you will enjoy, for whatever reason you believe you will enjoy them. Then, decide for yourself while you are there.

You have to read reviews with a discerning eye and look for review sites who's opinion you trust and can compare to places you've actually eaten or stayed at.
I may like a restaurant or resort but would feel remiss if I didn't point out room for improvement as well as what I like.
Have a good time and come back with your own impressions:).

You have to take all reviews as just that, reviews and opinions. For example I dislike Le Cellier lately yet there are many people on this board whose opinions I respect love the place, are we both right? Depending on the time of the year and the day probably. Ohana's my family loves it so much we eat there twice every vacation and I have read reviews that trash it. Do we still go and enjoy it? Yep, and other places like CRT did I find the food just average? Yes but on our 1st trip with my then 5 year old dressed as Aurora looked at me and I said I sure love my daddy. All that money spent TOTALLY worth it. You have picked out (my opinion) several very good places to eat and experience.

The "foodies" at Disney drive me nuts.

"I can get better in my city."

"It's like an Olive Garden."

That kind of thing....

It's a freaking theme park.

That is light years ahead of any OTHER theme park.

I'd rather appreciate something for what it IS than hate it for what it IS NOT.

Now...the Poly, IMO, looks beautiful. I will say our meal there in December at Kona was the worst I've ever had on property BUT the 'Ohana breakfast last March was a highlight and I love love love the goodies and coffee at the Kona Island. Also, Captain Cook's was very enjoyable in December. We had our food delivered to our table within 5 minutes.

I would look at the menu options and see if that appeals to your family. My DD is not a adventurous eater so 'Ohana is out. So I opted for the Hoop Dee Doo Musical Revue instead. You are on vacation, plan your meal on what appeals the most to your family not reviews.

Last trip I picked LTT just for the ooey gooey toffee cake. DH thought I was nuts till he at that cake LOL!

Owe loved our lunch at CRT!! Like it's on our list to do again. Our food was delish!!!

Also lovely food at the Bon voyage breakfast.

We were first timers, but you have to experience everything for yourself and go with it.

We have always loved the food at WDW! We did CRT for breakfast on our very first trip when our girls were 9 and 6. We did it on our very first full day and our first park day in MK. What a way to start off a trip and the girls have NEVER forgotten it. The breakfast was delicious and the magic was unbelievable! You will never regret going there!

We did 'Ohana in 2014 and we loved it! It was a fun place and the food was excellent.

We also love LTT and BOG for lunch (haven't tried dinner there). Epcot... there is way too many that we love but some of our favorites include Via Napoli, Teppan Edo, and Biergarten.

I know that people can be negative and extremely picky. I advise to go in with an open mind and form your own opinions. :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter