Hawaii Question

sue

love my DVC

We will be planning a trip to Hawaii for 2009. Has anyone every tried trading points for this location, and how was your luck getting what you wanted. How far out did you start your search. We would like to start our search in a couple of months with the hopes of going in either March April aor the summer months in 2009.

Thank you for any and all help.

A few months ago we met with our guide to do an add on. She is a DVC member and had just returned from Maui. She stayed at the Westin Timeshare Resort. She said the called Member services 11 months out and asked for "Anything" on Maui. She was very happy with Westin. We saw the pictures and it was beautiful. The key is to ask as far out as possible and keep the request open for multiple properties. Good Luck!

I'd start at least a year in advance, give several resort options and several possible dates. I'd also make backup reservations somewhere in case you could not score a match. If you like the Big Island (more volcanoes and ranches than pina coladas and beaches), you can probably score a match to the decent Kona Coast resort.

You can start your search up to 2 years in advance so you might want to put in your request now. I'm currently waiting on a search for the Marriott's in Kauai for the fall of 2008. I put the request in a little over a year in advance with basically any arrival date between 8/28 - 11/16/08. Now it's just the wait & see game.

A few years back we traded our points and stayed at Sands of Kahana in Maui. It was okay, the location was good. I probably would have preferred a hotel type chain like Marriott or Westin, this was a condo. We did get three bedrooms, one didn't even use. But we exchanged like it was a 2-bedroom.

I would concur with much of the info above. Do your research on the resorts and unit sizes you are comfortable with. Don't assume it's OK simply because you/re going through DVC. Personally the only resorts I'd accept trading DVC given the current system are the Starwood (Westin and possibly Sheraton if i's added), Marriott's and possibly Sunterra (formerly Embassy) and I might consider Kona Coast but given how easy it is to trade into and rent, I likely would not. You can request 2 years out and I'd do so for what you know will work. You can always expand your request later if you find that other resorts or times will fit your needs.

Remember that 2 BR units are tough so one either needs to lower their standards (take lessor resorts) or try to get two exchanges that match up at the same resort. This is the route i took the last time we went to HI. I got two 1 BR units at the embassy through an independent exchange company not using DVC points.

I would concur with much of the info above. Do your research on the resorts and unit sizes you are comfortable with. Don't assume it's OK simply because you/re going through DVC. Personally the only resorts I'd accept trading DVC given the current system are the Starwood (Westin and possibly Sheraton if i's added), Marriott's and possibly Sunterra (formerly Embassy) and I might consider Kona Coast but given how easy it is to trade into and rent, I likely would not. You can request 2 years out and I'd do so for what you know will work. You can always expand your request later if you find that other resorts or times will fit your needs.

Remember that 2 BR units are tough so one either needs to lower their standards (take lessor resorts) or try to get two exchanges that match up at the same resort. This is the route i took the last time we went to HI. I got two 1 BR units at the embassy through an independent exchange company not using DVC points.

Thanks to Dean :worship: I too have a search for HI 2009, my months are for end of May, June, July, first week of August. I started 2 yrs. out. Please follow all of Dean's advice on this! I hope I get some news between 6mos. - 1 yr. out.

Thanks to Dean :worship: I too have a search for HI 2009, my months are for end of May, June, July, first week of August. I started 2 yrs. out. Please follow all of Dean's advice on this! I hope I get some news between 6mos. - 1 yr. out.
Thanks for the kind words but I only provided the info. You did the research and put forth the effort. Let us know how it turns out please. Personally I wish DVC was a better option from a trading standpoint. It would be if DVC either beefed up the current trading situation OR allowed members to join II directly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter