Hawaii Tourism Not Starting Up Until Late Summer

Wonder if they will require a covid test to get in.

Almost definitely. Or some sort of proof that you already have the antibodies.

If the government doesn't require visitors to show some sort of proof that they are not actively carrying the disease, Hawaii residents will be up in arms. I would expect a huge grassroots movement to include massive picket lines outside the airport and hotels, harassment, etc. The negativity towards tourists is already out of hand and an open border with no testing would amplify it immensely.

Their picket lines better look like dots spread out 6’ from one another.

. . . . . .

The unemployed won’t be upset. They are being bailed out by government stimulus and extensions in unemployment benefits.

They’ll be perfectly fine for some time keeping tourists out. At least through Summer.

. . . . . .

The unemployed won’t be upset. They are being bailed out by government stimulus and extensions in unemployment benefits.

They’ll be perfectly fine for some time keeping tourists out. At least through Summer.
One summer without being overrun with tourists. I bet they are salivating over the possibility. I think I would be. Seeing pictures of Waikiki during this episode is pretty darn cool.

doubtful that things will go anywhere near as planned. tourist counts slowly climbing (and inevitably more people breaking quarantine)...this coming as reports that there could be 3 or more different strains of the virus already and getting 1 still leaves you vulnerable to the other 2. theres also the worrying cases where the virus seems to have the ability to subside so that people look/feel/test as recovered...and then the virus "reactivates"...

all the prediction models for infection rates and fatalities are climbing as well...

proof that someone isn't carrying the virus is pretty much not possible barring some breakthrough in star trek level transporter tech. a 14 day quarantine might miss some and even the most accurate tests could still miss people who recently got it.

the confusion is also continuing as the governor and mayors don't seem to be communicating much (if at all) as recently the state was going to allow retailers (oahu/maui) to re-open as early as thursday...then backtracked to may 15th (and no date for maui), and the mayor of oahu said he was blindsided by the initial announcement.

it follows previous actions like allowing florists to operate for mothers day...then reversing the decision...then reversing the decision again...

for those thinking that people are just happily collecting unemployment...hawaii probably has one of the most out of date systems for unemployment, and many who initially filed (and got lucky enough to get through early) for unemployment had to wait a very long time to even get a check...the effective poverty line for hawaii is around 60k per year (roughly 5k per month). a $1200 stimulus check wouldn't come close to lasting a month.

. . . . . .

You can only go unemployed for so long even with the government stimulus. Personally I believe that there won't even be jobs for them to come back to if this extends into the summer. Alot of small businesses will probably go under. The government stimulus has a caveat that you have to use the money within 8 weeks after receiving it and 75% of it must go towards payroll in order for 75% of the total loan is forgiven. I got my PPP money early this week, so in a way I'm kind of lucky for not getting it during the first round when my state was on lock down. My business will be open this week so I can actually use that stimulus money for what it is intended for which is my employees. For the small businesses in Hawaii I feel sorry for them. You can't delay receipt of the money, so the 8 week clock begins as soon as you have received it. Since their businesses are closed they can't really pay their employees with it, so all they can do is pay for the rent and utilities with that money. However since 75% of that isn't going towards payroll you will eventually have to pay all that money back so a small business is just digging themselves into another debt hole.

. . . . . .

Lol, right?!?! Damn hypocrite picketers!

There's a rumor going around that people will create a automobile picket line and block the roads around the airport if the state doesn't enforce the quarantine more effectively. There has been an uptick in visitor arrivals lately and locals are very unhappy about it. Just the idea of it is so wild to me . . . but this is a state where surfers were ready to paddle out and stop a cruise ship from docking in Hilo so *shrug*

I think the overwhelming majority of Hawaii residents will be happy to keep Hawaii closed throughout the summer as well. There was a recent article in the Star Advertiser in which the head of the local economic recovery task force said there are a lot of people making more money from unemployment and are therefore unmotivated to go back to work . . . at least for now.

The medical experts do not know if having covid antibodies provides any type of immunity (or for how long). Currently, having antibodies doesn't tell you anything meaningful.

I'm definitely not a medical expert - the antibody test is just a measure that the policy makers have mentioned over and over again.

A few years ago, I read a book about the history of Hawaii. One thing I learned was that when the measles virus was brought to the island, it nearly wiped out the native population. Maybe the strong reaction to COVID-19, especially “ships bringing the virus” and travelers bringing it to the island stir up the horrible past for them.

Hawaii has a history unique to mainland US, and its worth considering their unique perspective especially those of us who enjoy the beauty of the islands so much.

This is a brief story about the history of measles from the history channel for anyone unfamiliar.

https://www.history.com/news/hawaii-monarchy-downfall-measles-outbreak

A few years ago, I read a book about the history of Hawaii. One thing I learned was that when the measles virus was brought to the island, it nearly wiped out the native population. Maybe the strong reaction to COVID-19, especially “ships bringing the virus” and travelers bringing it to the island stir up the horrible past for them.

Hawaii has a history unique to mainland US, and its worth considering their unique perspective especially those of us who enjoy the beauty of the islands so much.

This is a brief story about the history of measles from the history channel for anyone unfamiliar.

That happened in the 19th century. Let's not make this out to be more then what it is. People just don't like it when other people flaunt their law breaking behavior in front of their faces. Even if it is maybe a small minority of people that do it, it's just human nature to associate those negative traits to an entire demographic.

I was thinking of this very thing recently.

The problem is the longer Hawaii remains closed (compared to other states) the less likely tourism continues in the future. For example, we are considering a trip next May which seems very far away. In reality we would need to start planning this trip over the summer. If there is doubt that Hawaii will be very strict in either reopening or closing down during a wave 2 we will just plan a trip to a different destination. I am not saying that staying closed, etc is in anyway the wrong choice but it won't be worth it to us to risk a vacation there. It becomes a slippery slope of being closed for the summer vs how long until tourists come back at all.

Does the above mentioned article include the name of this book? I would love to read up on the history of Hawaii!
The problem is the longer Hawaii remains closed (compared to other states) the less likely tourism continues in the future. For example, we are considering a trip next May which seems very far away. In reality we would need to start planning this trip over the summer. If there is doubt that Hawaii will be very strict in either reopening or closing down during a wave 2 we will just plan a trip to a different destination. I am not saying that staying closed, etc is in anyway the wrong choice but it won't be worth it to us to risk a vacation there. It becomes a slippery slope of being closed for the summer vs how long until tourists come back at all.
Oh, I think people will always want to go to Hawaii. We are in a similar boat as you. Had a trip scheduled for this month and had to cancel everything. Then we thought we would go in February only to discover the DVC borrowing points policy will be limited until who knows when. Our use year is April so we thought we'd just try this trip in May 2021. I think we will still plan this but I will be smarter this time around and maybe wait to purchase airfare. I bought our airfare on christmas day of 2019....I had a great deal. I will also wait to pay for things like Waikiki hotels, luaus, etc.....the disappointment of having to cancel this trip is pretty substantial and I don't want to be sad all over again!

it isn't just the length of the closure that will affect things (tho this will definitely be a factor for some), the reasons why it's closed, what happens when the re-start takes place (i.e. 14 day quarantine ends), and how companies (airlines and hotels) conducted themselves during the shutdown...theres probably more factors as well...are also potential factors.

for those that had nightmare encounters dealing with hotels and airlines getting refunds, or rescheduling...it may leave them less likely to want to fly/stay with those companies again...however if those are the only ones that are still around and/or in that persons price range...then they might be unlikely to return.

if the state lifts the quarantine "too early" and protests take place outside the airports, hotels and attractions...many people might be prone to believing that everyone in hawaii hates tourists and may decide not to come back.

from the resident point of view...its easy to see what has happened as beaches in california and florida re-opened...combine that with the number of people who have broken quarantine rules, the lack of enforcement early on, and it being difficult to understand why anyone would want to visit hawaii and just be stuck in their hotel room...and you can get some very angry people from a pool of confused and scared residents.

the history of hawaii isn't too much of a factor in the current situation. many of the people who would protest for these reasons are protesting mauna kea...so they aren't going to be able to protest on oahu...and there is also a 14 day quarantine on inter island travel as well...so its not like its just out of state visitors get qurantined...its anyone (except essential travel exemptions) arriving on any of the islands.

I don’t think there’s too much of a chance that people will “punish” Hawaii by not visiting - many people, my family included, love Hawaii and will return as soon as both governments decide it is in everyone’s best interests to declare it safe. in saying that, I will err on the side of caution and include a very large buffer of time after that declaration just to ensure that my family and the citizens of Hawaii are protected from any germs we may bring with us.

for those that had nightmare encounters dealing with hotels and airlines getting refunds, or rescheduling...it may leave them less likely to want to fly/stay with those companies again...
This. We flew Delta on our previous trip because we’d have to split the fare to use Hawaiian Airlines, and I just didn’t want to chance that. But I had considered Hawaiian for our next trip in 2022.....now I think that’s out. I’d like to think if something happened and we couldn’t travel, I’d just reschedule and use credits, but for what we pay traveling from the southeast, for 4 people, I really think a credit versus a refund may be a deal-breaker.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!