Hawaii Tourism Not Starting Up Until Late Summer

Anyone have a guess as to when Hawaii will announce if they will allow travel in September with a negative Covid test?

Anyone have a guess as to when Hawaii will announce if they will allow travel in September with a negative Covid test?

I'm sorry for the bad news but I really doubt it. Today's newspaper headline (print edition) was SHUTDOWN POSSIBLE. And it was in all caps. In order to open on 9/1 the hotels would have started preparing by now. None of the hotel workers I know, from front line to upper management, have been called back to work.

@Sepo - Was your vacation rental on Oahu? All Oahu vacation rental units were shut down at the start of the pandemic and I haven't heard anything about them being able to open. Just the mention of a police report could help you get the rest of your money back. The fines for operating a rental during a pandemic are steep ($5,000+ I think?) and it's a criminal charge, not just a citation. That's a lot of motivation for the owner to do the right thing! If you want to look into it more, here is a link to the city's covid-19 proclamation: http://www.honolulu.gov/rep/site/may/may_docs/EO_2020-21.pdf

Looks like they are re-implementing inter island quarantine again on Tuesday and closing all public spaces, beaches, pools starting Sat. This may only for Oahu right now but I’d expect the other Islands to follow suit. Anyone planning on taking a vacation to Hawaii before next Spring or even before a vaccine is available, has to be a glutton for punishment.

Last edited:

Yup - Hawaii is tightening up again, not opening up. Had to cancel our first trip ever there this fall. Hope our alternate plan of going next fall can still be realized, but the future is a complete unknown at this point.

Just cancelled for October. Have trip to Maui rescheduled from March to next Feb. We will see. Hard to imagine, but that one even seems like a long shot at this point.

Hawaii has the highest R-naught value in the whole country right now (1.38), according to https://rt.live/). It's so frustrating that they're shutting down more...frustrating for many tourists and residents alike. I understand why they're doing it, of course. It's still really exasperating especially if you're a DVC owner at Aulani!

Wondering when they will make an announcement about Sept 1st and if tourists will be allowed in w a negative test. Have a trip planned to Maui rescheduled from April.

Wondering when they will make an announcement about Sept 1st and if tourists will be allowed in w a negative test. Have a trip planned to Maui rescheduled from April.
Oooh come on over to the Maui thread and share your plans!

We cancelled our Kauai vacation for March, so did not book the week in Aulani as I planned to do yesterday. We actually are postponing the whole trip for a year.

Last edited:
I wonder I wonder if there will be a definitive answer soon as to the 9/1 stop of quarantine if you have a negative test.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter