Hawaii Tourism Not Starting Up Until Late Summer

So will Disney cancel Aulani trips in August now on a rolling basis and return borrowed points back to their original year as they had been doing at WDW?

So will Disney cancel Aulani trips in August now on a rolling basis and return borrowed points back to their original year as they had been doing at WDW?

We had our banked points put back in from our cancelled May trip. We booked for Oct since all those points expire in Nov. since we had saved up for this trip. So we are REALLY holding our breath now!! Yes, Borrowed points should be much easier.

Last edited:
I officially cancelled our Sept trip yesterday. :( Luckily Alaska refunded miles and cash and our Marriott timeshare is allowing points to be extended to Dec 2021 so my expiring points won't expire. I just don't see this letting up any time soon...well maybe November! :rolleyes1

We cancelled back in June for a July reservation. All points were returned to prior status, including borrowed points.

I really hope that had used this time to improve / build surge hospital capacity. Otherwise they are putting all their eggs in one basket (hoping a vaccine will be developed soon).
Apparently they have not, and that continues to be the concern of many based in Hawaii that there has not been a place implemented to include rapid testing, contact tracing, and hospital capacity. Apparently ICU capacity was at 50% before the surge in numbers. And keep in mind that with virtually no tourism, these increases are coming from locals and their habits. Restrictions are being put in place to try and reduce the spread, including talk of reintroducing the inter-island travel ban.

Apparently they have not, and that continues to be the concern of many based in Hawaii that there has not been a place implemented to include rapid testing, contact tracing, and hospital capacity. Apparently ICU capacity was at 50% before the surge in numbers. And keep in mind that with virtually no tourism, these increases are coming from locals and their habits. Restrictions are being put in place to try and reduce the spread, including talk of reintroducing the inter-island travel ban.

Sigh... Well let's hope an effective vaccine gets developed soon... like this season. Otherwise I think tourism won't restart until possibly 2022.

We love the state. I cannot begin to imagine the economic destruction if tourism shuts down for months to years.

It's like leadership of the state just hope things will improve on its own. That's just plain irresponsible.

We are waiting to hear the next announcement. Not looking good for the end of October. Sigh.

I wonder if DVC is doing anything for people like me who banked points from last year into this year and now can't use them. I mean I have until next August I guess but if our trip in February ends up cancelled I wouldn't be doing anything until the following year at which point some points will be expiring. I would guess they won't or else people will end up with way too many points compared to the number of rooms available.

Contrast this with Vietnam. After months of virtually no cases, there has been an outbreak around Da Nang (popular domestic tourist destination) They also had their first 2 deaths. 80,000 domestic tourists were 'evacuated' back to their home cities, and two field hospitals are being built. The country built some originally as part of their preparations. From what I understand, Hawaii has done little to actually prepare, other than close borders.

For my canceled August trip, I wound up forfeiting near $800 on an AirBnB (50%) rental. Though after giving in (I was tired of being angry and trying to press the morality of it), the host was gracious enough to unofficially offer a credit of near $600 (her portion) if I rebook in the future, which felt better.

Haven’t been able to get a live person at AirBnB for nearly 3 weeks now. I understand the T&C, etc. but really believed this was somewhat compelling since it is literally a crime punishable by jail time and fine to both the renter and host if I executed the contract. Quarantining is only permitted in a hotel officially.

In any event, not sure when we’d try again. Maybe only as a last second deal once we see that the state actually has a working system.

it is literally a crime punishable by jail time and fine to both the renter and host if I executed the contract
Generally I favor the hosts when people want to cancel for weather and other “changes of plans” since the host can’t control that and they possibly could’ve rented to someone else during that time. However, yeah, when they can NOT legally rent to anyone during that time, seems to me that’s up to some combination of Airbnb and the host to figure out how to give your money back. What if you just said “damn the quarantine” and showed up at their property? Would they hand you a key? If not, then it seems they should refund your money. I know it sucks for the renters but really they haven’t provided, and couldn’t provide, the service you’ve paid for. I guess they’re just banking on most folks giving up and not pressing much. And it’s junk like this that makes me only stay at big chain hotels. Not that crap can’t happen, but there’s a lot better chance of being taken care of IMO. Glad you got some back. Here’s again hoping everyone who had to reschedule CAN at some point (and that things are somewhat back to normal by my 2022 trip!).

In defense of the host, they could have rented to an Hawaiian as inter-island and staycations are allowed. The dates were held by this guest. The host would love to have 100% of the rental revenue. Keeping 50% seems fair to me given all the terms and conditions were clear at the time of booking.

I rent from Airbnb often and always filter by hosts that offer a flexible cancellation policy that allows full refunds up to 24 hours before checkin.

Hawaii is an in demand market and it is a challenge to find anything but strict cancellation reservations there. That’s why we book hotels until we are 100% sure of travel, then often switch. Plus hosts reduce their prices for last minute bookings.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!