Healing at our Happy Place: making GOOD 2017 memories: Mar, May, Aug, Oct, Dec TRs (3/24 UPDATE)

Long time, no update...but my few lucky readers I just might get a few done today. As you can see, I have been caught in the Photobucket 2017 Horror and so I'm trying to figure out how much time and effort to devote to getting the images relocated. It looks like I can host versions of them here on the Disboards and (hopefully) you all can see my signature image which I recreated and moved this morning.

Quick update from me. As I mentioned in my previous post, my first chemo treatment was done last Tuesday so I'm about 9 days out from that. Overall it went well and I had minimal issues and those that I had were controlled. The hardest one has been changes in taste, as I'm a huge water drinker and now it tastes horrible to me unless I flavor it with something. I've remained pretty active, playing tennis a few times, which has been good.

On the sad news front, my MIL finally lost her battle with cancer earlier this week, passing away early on July 4th. It has been a long time coming, and we are so very glad she is no longer suffering, so for now we are mostly doing okay. My husband and his family are finalizing arrangements this morning and I am home while our kitchen makeover is being completed. We have not had a full functioning kitchen for several weeks now and today we at least get the granite countertops installed.

Yesterday I was home for my youngest son's 13th birthday...and I spent it modifying our plans for August. With my last chemotherapy session scheduled now for the last week in August, I had to cancel the plans we had for Vero Beach...or at least some of them. Our original thought for August had been spending some time in NC with my dad, then a few days perhaps at Grand Cayman or even the Keys, and some time at Vero Beach. My leave situation at work means I may not be able to take two weeks off now, but I am still hopeful that one week would be possible. So I am hanging on to 2 of my Vero Beach nights (a Saturday and Sunday night) with a plan to return home Monday. That gives me Tuesday to take care of some pre-treatment bloodwork for my last chemo session on Wednesday. I'm hoping to also book the Friday and/or Thursday night as well but right now only Thursday is available. So I decided to check other Florida options and was able to find Wednesday and Thursday night at the Grand Floridian! My daughter has been asking to stay there and it is one of the few remaining DVC resorts we haven't tried yet so I snagged those two nights and will look to either also book Friday night there or book it at Vero Beach instead. I'll just keep checking. So our plan would be to spend a few nights at my dad's house in NC, then drive to Florida on Wednesday (about 9 hours) in time to spend two (or 3) nights at Walt Disney World before heading to Vero Beach for the end of our trip and then driving home Monday.

I'm really hoping we can keep this and it will all work out but we'll see. It's something to look forward to, though we are already talking about how we can possibly now include my FIL as part of this trip.

So that's my big trip related update for now. Let's see if I can fix some of these images and get the early trip report back to something viewable before I do another part of it.

Last edited:
Testing...

hoyhZ8otNvcdWDyq9

I am sorry for your lose. My prayers will be with you guys this week. I am glad to hear that you are tolerating the chemo ok. Your trip for August sounds wonderful so far. I have always wanted to stay at the Grand Floridian too. One day.

I'm so sorry for your loss. The GF would be amazing! Have always wanted to stay there too. I am amazed that you are able to do so much with everything you are dealing with. Way to go. Loving your TR too. That popcorn bucket seems to be a life saver!

Very sorry for your loss. Your family has really been through a lot this year. Hopefully things will get better soon!

So sorry for your loss. It is good to have a trip to look forward.
I would love to stay at the Grand Floridian someday. Sounds like it will be a great time.

I am sorry for your lose. My prayers will be with you guys this week. I am glad to hear that you are tolerating the chemo ok. Your trip for August sounds wonderful so far. I have always wanted to stay at the Grand Floridian too. One day.

Thank you. Yes my daughter really wants to stay at GF, and even though it's only 2 nights I'm hoping we'll enjoy it. We'll probably have to move to another resort for Friday night since I don't see anything coming up for that resort for one more night.

I'm so sorry for your loss. The GF would be amazing! Have always wanted to stay there too. I am amazed that you are able to do so much with everything you are dealing with. Way to go. Loving your TR too. That popcorn bucket seems to be a life saver!

I must say not all of us are thrilled with GF, it's not one we've ever strived for, but I think it will be fun. Ah LOVE that Disney popcorn...BEST CHEAP SNACK EVER!

Very sorry for your loss. Your family has really been through a lot this year. Hopefully things will get better soon!

YES...it's been crazy. I have attended two funerals in Feb (my mom and a good friend's MIL), two in July (so far)...my MIL was Tuesday and I had an uncle pass away last Thursday and his funeral was two days after MIL. Then last night my best friend informed me that her dad passed away. He had been ill and in rehab, not doing well, but I don't think this was expected so soon. Still awaiting the funeral plans for that one.

So sorry for your loss. It is good to have a trip to look forward.
I would love to stay at the Grand Floridian someday. Sounds like it will be a great time.

Yes we definitely need something to look forward to right now. Between medical visits of some kind pretty much every week, and funerals and services, sick animals (I won't even get into that one) I am doing whatever I can to make an August trip work out to salvage our summer.

MORE CHANGES in the works...trying my best to make an August trip to WDW and Vero Beach happen. Now it just won't be as easy...or as cheap...as before.

See my husband is graduating from a development program at work. He says it's no big deal if he can't attend the graduation...but with all he's done this year, dealing with his mom, and me, I think we should celebrate him a bit. Originally the ceremony was scheduled for Aug 29th...which happened to be my last chemo session. Despite his objections, I had it moved one day later so we could attend the ceremony.

Then the date moved again...to Aug 23rd...smack dab in the middle of our planned week of vacation to NC and FL. What to do? Well since my daughter is attending a concert on Saturday 8/19 it means we can't leave for our 7+ drive to NC until Sunday morning. We'd have to be back Tuesday night for the Wed ceremony, so we'll just leave as last as possible Tuesday, instead of the plan to drive to Florida all day Wednesday.

It's crazy, but it gives us a few days with my dad and also to visit my aunt in SC which we haven't seen since my mom's funeral in Feb.

And now I'm pricing out flights to Florida, leaving late Wed so we don't miss out on our coveted reservation at the Grand Floridian resort. We have Wed and Thur night there, and I'll most likely book another night somewhere in WDW using DVC points for Friday night. Saturday night we'll head out to Vero, giving us Sat and Sun night there. I still need a Monday night since I'll most likely book a flight back on Tuesday since it's cheaper. So debating spending $300+ for one night at Vero or just heading north to Cocoa Beach area for a cheaper hotel for Monday night and maybe spend Monday at the Space Center which is what my youngest son wants to do.

Still working through the details on the trip...financial and otherwise...without these missing nights it makes things more complicated but I think we'll figure it out. The plan is to return and then I'll immediately have my last chemo session that week...so a sorta pre-celebration if you will for us.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry about your MIL, and I'm glad your treatments are going well. Fingers crossed that the rest will go along without complications too...

And so it's a done deal, and despite the fact that we don't need to spend the money right now but we are in desperate need of some family escape time...we are heading to Florida in August! We will fly out on a Wednesday night and fly home late on Monday night. So far we have two nights at the Grand Floridian and two nights at Vero Beach and I'll most likely pay cash or use points for another night somewhere in Disney Friday night. That gives us two full Disney park days (Thursday and Friday) and then perhaps a partial park day Saturday, followed by relaxation at Vero Beach on Saturday afternoon and Sunday. Monday we will check out, plan to probably hit the Space Center for the day, and fly out late Monday evening back home.

I have booked TWO ADRs for our time in Disney. One is a lunch in Sanaa, because it's a favorite of the family. The other is a dinner at Citricos, a place we have NEVER been but it's in the resort where we are staying so I figured it was an easy one. I was looking for a special place to celebrate my DHs graduation from a program at work. I would actually love to try Tiffins as well, but may have to save that for another time.

Friday night is the first night of MNSSHP believe it or not, so parks will close early that night. I have some ADRs booked already, but may switch them around. It's hard to decide what parks to visit on a short trip like this one. MK seems like a given with us being on the monorail and so close. One thing on my MUST do list will be Happily Ever After and the only night for that will be Thursday night since we won't arrive until way too late Wednesday and the party takes place on Friday. We won't be attending the party, but might try to take advantage of the early EMH hours that day to get a few rides done there.

So that's my big news for now. Still have our October and December trips on the agenda also, with one flight booked for October and none booked for December yet.

Until August, I'll be putting in some long hours at work as much as possible so I can save my time off for both my doctor's appointments as well as my vacation.

Last edited:
I haven't been getting alerts, and I was realizing it had been awhile since I'd seen anything on your report, so I'm very happy to see that your treatment is going well.

I am so sorry to hear about your MIL, I know that was a difficult situation.

It sounds like this trip got off to a great start! I think it's so convenient that Shades of Green is that close to the Polynesian. It just adds a nice extra burst of accessibility!

Looks like things are in motion for the rest of your trips this year, I hope everything goes smoothly!!

(and I'm resetting my alerts so I don't get so behind again!)

Your next trip sounds awesome! I'm glad everything is working out.

Thanks...me too! As much as I don't need to spend the money right now, this year has taught me more than anything that life is too short. We should live it while we can do so and so this short trip will happen!

I haven't been getting alerts, and I was realizing it had been awhile since I'd seen anything on your report, so I'm very happy to see that your treatment is going well.

I am so sorry to hear about your MIL, I know that was a difficult situation.

It sounds like this trip got off to a great start! I think it's so convenient that Shades of Green is that close to the Polynesian. It just adds a nice extra burst of accessibility!

Looks like things are in motion for the rest of your trips this year, I hope everything goes smoothly!!

(and I'm resetting my alerts so I don't get so behind again!)

Yeah I'm bad about paying attention to the alerts also, no worries. I sometimes disappear from the boards here for a while...and then return. Thanks about my MIL...yes it has not been an easy few months watching her suffer so much.

We love Shades also and it just might be in the cards again for this trip next month to fill in that ONE missing night for us.

So the cat is out of the bag on the resort now. My daughter is the only other one in our family who uses the MDE APP and yesterday she was asking questions about our trip and so she pulled up the APP and of course saw that we were staying at the Grand Floridian. She is over the moon about it of course as she has always wanted to stay there.

Still no decision on our Friday night, but I know it will be a Disney Resort most likely, or Shades of Green at this point. I think we have plenty of time to book so I'm just going to wait that one out.

I moved around some dining a bit, now leaving Friday wide open. There is a SMALL part of me that might be considering the very first night of the Halloween Party, if only because we really want to see the parade for that since we missed it on our last trip. I'm disappointed so many big rides will be closed during the party though. I'm not 100% on it but maybe we will decide while there and based on the weather.

I know we want to make an effort to ride Flight of Passage again, so since Saturday is an EMH day for AK we just might have to get up early and do that. I booked a few ADRs for AK that morning.

As of yet, we still don't have flights home for our October trip OR any flights or rooms for our December trip, but they are both coming up sooner rather than later. I need to get my October group in gear to get their tickets purchased, MDE setup for everybody, so I can plan out for our group of about 15 people!

On another note, you'll see that I've made a SMALL bit of progress on updating some of the photo links here. I still have a long way to go, but at least some of my recent TRs now have some photos displayed again instead of the ugly PB graphic. It's still going to take some time but hopefully I'll get there.

TRIP #2: AUGUST FAREWELL TO SUMMER UPDATE

While our main focus for this August trip is going to be experiencing Vero Beach for the first time, we will also be adding some new experiences at Walt Disney World.

Here is my tentative plan so far:

• WED: This is going to be a crazy day. I'm heading to work for a few hours in the morning. Due to my time off for funerals and illness/treatments, I need to work whenever I can to preserve the leave that I have now. I'm heading to work, then going home to pick up the kids and then back to attend a ceremony for my DH who is graduating from a 3-year program at work. The ceremony and lunch will be afternoon and should end around 1:30pm. Afterwards we'll all head home, change our clothes, grab our bags and head to the airport. We have a 5:25pm flight with a connection (no plane change) that should land us at MCO around 9pm. We'll grab our rental car and head straight to our resort: Grand Floridian. If we arrive in time, MK is open until midnight so we just migh hop over there and try to get a few rides in for the evening.
  • THUR: This is an early entry day at EPCOT, and with so few ADRs this seems like a good plan. We can grab breakfast at our resort or wait to get to EPCOT. We should get in rides on Soarin' at least, and maybe Test Track as standby. We have a FP for Test Track later in the morning, as well as Living with the Land and even one for afternoon at Character Spot that we most likely won't use. If the weather is as hot as expected, I figure we do the parks until early afternoon then head back to the resort for some pool time. Dinner is at our resort at Citricos - a first for us but seemed like a good place to celebrate my husband's accomplishments. Afer dinner we can try for more MK time if we want.
  • FRI: This is an EMH morning at MK, so seems like a good time to hit that park. We can spend the better part of the morning and afternoon here, once again doing as much as possible Standby. Afternoon once again will probably be relax and pool time. Evening is where I'm torn right now. Part of me would love to buy tickets to the very first MNSSHP and go to that just because of the discounts and the fact that the kids are still disappointed that their only time at the party they missed out on the parade due to rain cancellation. I am disappointed that so many headliner rides won't be open at the party, but perhaps that just gives us more time to enjoy the party stuff. I think we'll play it by ear here and see what the weather looks like for that night. My backup plan is to head over to Hollywood Studios where we have FP+ reservations for 3 rides beginning at 6pm.
  • SAT: This is an EMH morning for AK and I think we all would love to do Avatar Flight of Passage again and this may be our only chance with no FPs there. So I know we'd need to get there extra early, and so that's the plan to arrive as close to 8am as we can, especially if we had a late night the night before. I have other FP+ reservations at AK: EE, Dinosaur and PW, beginning at 10am. So I'm thinking FOP, then the Safari, then EE and the other rides. We have a lunch at Sanaa which is a family favorite. That will end our Disney park time, as after lunch we will head out to Vero Beach. Our evening will be spent at Vero Beach.
  • SUN: This is our Vero Beach day, so really plans are just to enjoy the resort for one one full day here.
  • MON: Check out of Vero Beach and head to the Kennedy Space Center for the day. We'll spend all day here before heading back to the airport late that evening to catch a 9pm flight back home.
So there you have it, our full plans for August. It seems pretty reasonable and it's not like we need to focus on riding everything this trip since we'll be back less than two months later with a large group of friends. Plus we still have a December trip. PLUS I am even considering another trip to Florida to end the New Year, but most likely we'll do Universal Studios for that one.

Last edited:
Sounds soooo fun!

Thanks! I hope so...fun is really what we need right now!

Sounds like a great plan!

Thanks...I sure hope so!

Wanted to add my 'currently under debate' issue, which may or may not resolved itself in the next 27 days! :hourglass

:scratchin The one-night resort decision is the issue. I think I mentioned we are currently "homeless" or "resortless" for Friday night.

Since I wasn't planning on flying for this trip, an now I'm spending money on flights...I'm trying to do this on the cheap.

My options right now are as follows:

• Shades of Green: this is a known resort to us, close the "action" being near MK and the Polynesian, and one we can navigate easily enough. If we end up doing MNSSHP for Friday night, this seems like the best choice...but we won't know that for a while. Rooms here are running a special right now...so hard to beat $135 for a night
  • Port Orleans Riverside: We haven't stayed here since 1999...our first trip with my husband's family and his parents very first trip to WDW was here. One of our favorite restaurants in recent years has been Boatwrights...and the DVC 30% discount here makes this a very appealing choice. Kids have never stayed her so this would be a new to them place for the resort. Current APH rates here means it would cost about $60 more a night to book here over SOG
  • Caribbean Beach: We have NEVER stayed here and yes I know there is lots of construction right now but I'm okay with that because mostly we are there for the room and the pool. Rates here mean a room right now is about $50 more a night over the SOG rate. So a totally NEW to us resort experience but seems like for a little bit more to stay at POR we might be happier. I think right now this is at the bottom of my list.
We still have time to decide and maybe I'll just leave it to fate and see what's available as we get closer to our travel date. Honestly right now I'm leaning towards POR because it would just be a NEW to the kids experience and keeps us in the Disney "bubble" so to speak. We have a car to get around, so transportation really isn't an issue.

We stayed at POR on our last trip. We really liked it. The pool was awesome and the kids loved it. We did eat at Boatwrights and we all liked it as well. I don't think you could go wrong with this resort. We haven't been to the other 2 resorts so I don't have nay input there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter